Windows 10: All Apps sorting issue

Discus and support All Apps sorting issue in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings all. I have a couple of persistent irritations with my Win10 Pro setup that I can find no remedy for. Posting on various MS forums in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Jezzer56 Win User

All Apps sorting issue

Greetings all. I have a couple of persistent irritations with my Win10 Pro setup that I can find no remedy for. Posting on various MS forums in the past for other issues has generally only elicited a 'run sfc /scannow', followed by no further comment. So, I'm bypassing them this time and submitting them as two separate posts. The second relates to File Explorer.

First up, I'm having trouble getting the AllApps start menu to show in alphabetical order. Most apps show correctly, but several don't want to play ball. The relevant shortcuts are in 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs' (see image) and changes can be seen in the menu immediately. I have no shortcuts in my 'C:\Users\JP\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs' directory, although I have created the problematic ones there when trying to resolve this issue. As it had no effect, I removed them from that directory. Two menu items that fail to sort properly are 'Mozilla Firefox' and 'Mozilla Thunderbird'. Although the shortcuts were renamed after program installation to 'Firefox' and 'Thunderbird', they cling to the 'M' in sort order, rather than 'F' and 'T', respectively (see image). I have tried all sorts of things in an attempt to fix this, but to no avail. Instead of moving the shortcuts, I have deleted them and rebuilt them on the desktop, before placing them in the Programs directory. Nothing changes though *Sad.

Windows 10 64 bit
    Ver. 1511
    Build. 10586.164

:)

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016

2. All Sorts of Issues with Windows 10

I've had Windows 10 now for approximately 5 weeks now. I built my computer with an Asus mid-range board, 16GB ram, 2 TB hdd, Radeon video-high range, Intel I7 3770K chip. I have Comcast which scores a ridiculous 89Mb per second speed on speedtest.net. This
    computer rocks! I built it with Windows 8.1. The system worked beautifully. I've been building my own computers since windows 3.0, a windows fan at heart. My phones have all been windows. I have a Nokia Lumia 1520...love(d) this phone.

Well, now I'm dreading my windows 10 upgrade, my battery on my phone died in 18 months of normal use and now...I come home looking to battle on Age of Empires Castle Siege and all I get are consistent problems like not signed in and other messages.

My live email on my PC mail doesn't show up, I get messages that Cortana failed to load so I have to reboot, Edge is disastrous, pages do not load, it freezes when navigating so I have to depend on chrome, my phone doesn't hold a charge...I'm waiting for
    the new Lumia 950 XL to come out...which supposedly has a replaceable battery as the rumor mill states-which I love that idea by the way...and it'll be a Thank God for bringing it back. Oh...and just before the battery on my cell died, a virus got in somehow.
    I had to delete and reinstall...3 times.

I absolutely love windows 8.1. I thought it was the best windows created and I still do. I really didn't like going back to a familiar Win XP/7 operating system format but I guess it had to be done due to users not looking towards a new windows platform
    which in my opinion was absolutely Awesome! I really dislike the new start button. Now...I'm unable to do battle with AoE at will. I'm signed in to live and it tells me that I'm not.

Apple doesn't have these issues. I love Cortana although I feel that her voice should really be the AI Cortana...not the normal voice, Yes...Master Chief Cortana.

When the new Lumia comes out...it better rule! Otherwise, it'll be my last windows phone and Hello Siri. I may go back to Win 8.1 if this continues and MS will lose a major loyal fan...although I'll still use Win 8.1 on my PC...until I get a Mac...if forced
    to. Currently, my disappointment is well above what I thought could not be fathomed. People at MS need to get it together before you destroy what was once thought of as impossible to replace.

My heart bleeds for my beloved Lumia 1520.

Ralph

RalphOtero, Mar 26, 2016
  3. alfakilo Win User
    Is WiFi connection generally OK on Lumia phones?

So that means it's a software issue that Microsoft needs to sort out pdq. I did read that there is a Developer App that will sort this but I'm reluctant to get involved with all that.

alfakilo, Mar 26, 2016
  4. All Apps sorting issue

Hi I don't think you can move them even though you have shortened the Name
    Because Windows recognises them as Mozilla App

hTconeM9user, Mar 26, 2016
  5. Jezzer56 Win User
    Thanks for your reply hTconeM9user. That's a bit of bad news *Sad. The same thing happens to all my dBpoweramp shortcuts as well. 'dBpoweramp Batch Converter' is listed under 'B', 'dBpoweramp CD Ripper' is under 'C', and so on! Never had this issue under any previous Windows incarnations. I suppose this comes under 'progress' *Rolleyes.

Jezzer56, Mar 26, 2016
  6. Yes you might find in a later upgrade or update that it will work
    So your best bet is to just wait and see what they have in the pipe line

hTconeM9user, Mar 26, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    I doubt Microsoft is going to change that.
    If you find it important, you can try posting your request in Feedback app which you can find in All apps list. The chance of MS taking action on your request is very slim however. But no harm trying.

davidhk, Mar 26, 2016
  8. Jezzer56 Win User

All Apps sorting issue

Thanks for the input davidhk. I'll have a quiet word with MS *chuckle.

Jezzer56, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

All Apps sorting issue

1. All Apps sorting issue - Similar Threads - Apps sorting issue

2. Pivotable sorting issue.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pivotable sorting issue.: I tried grouping data by date in a pivot table and it's sorting the dates alphabetically, eg 11-May is before 5-May when sorting newest to oldest. Is there no Office forum? This was the closest I could find...
  3. Pivotable sorting issue.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pivotable sorting issue.: I tried grouping data by date in a pivot table and it's sorting the dates alphabetically, eg 11-May is before 5-May when sorting newest to oldest. Is there no Office forum? This was the closest I could find...
  4. All sorts of error ID's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All sorts of error ID's: Windows 10 version 19042.804 update 2OH2 installed on 3/1/2021. Since that time numerous event ID's warnings have been added to event log. None prior to 3/1/2021 I.D's are 34, 10002, 10016, 10010, 225, 223. There are many, and I mean many information logs entered. The...
  5. Microsoft Photos app sort issue

Microsoft Photos app sort issue: Hi, I'm on the latest versions of Windows 10 and the built-in Photos app which is fine for my photo viewing needs except with the following issue. I have several screenshots that I constantly take from long lecture videos as I watch (as notes for me) and these screenshots...
  6. Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alphabetical File Sorting Issue??: [ATTACH] I have my game shortcuts all in one folder, and when it comes to games with sequels or expansions, the sequels are always listed before the original. I would imagine that in the case of Bioshock, Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite, they would be in that order. But...
  7. All sorts of daily BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All sorts of daily BSOD: Hello guys, I've been having trouble with my Windows 10 recently. I've been encountering all sorts of Blue Screens of Death, which seems very odd to me. Most of the time I'm gaming or watching a YouTube video while the crashes occur, but sometimes I'm not doing anything and...
  8. Apps Menu Sorting

Apps Menu Sorting: I decided to create a folder in the apps menu for all of my games. I moved all of my game shortcuts from my desktop into the new Games folder I discovered that if there was already an entry for a game in another folder that the new entry would not be displayed. This is not...
  9. Sorting the all apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting the all apps list?: OK. I know how to "go to file location" and some of the other basic tips, but I am still having two issues with the Windows 10 start menu after several hours of searching reading and pulling hair out. 1) A few of my apps (programs I installed, not apps from the store) were...
  10. All Apps - How to sort by Category?

in Windows 10 Support
    All Apps - How to sort by Category?: In Windows 8.1, when I go to the start screen and show the all apps, I sort the apps by Category (instead of alphabetical). I also select an option to show Desktop apps first. Is it not possible to do this in Windows 10? I am using Windows 10 Pro Technical Preview Build...