Windows 10: all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers

Discus and support all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; normally when you pair and connect a bluetooth earphone/headphone to a windows 10 pc it it will say "connected, voice, music" on the bluetooth and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Radical Traffic Cone, Jul 21, 2021.

1. all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers

normally when you pair and connect a bluetooth earphone/headphone to a windows 10 pc it it will say "connected, voice, music" on the bluetooth and other devices menu right under the device name, but for some reason on my fresh install of windows on my desktop PC, whenever i pair it opens a window automatically called 'bluetooth device control' and it just says 'connected' and i can't use my earphones as stereo earphones, instead it's 'hands free audio', there is no option to switch to a stereo option when you click on the speaker icon in the task bar.hear is a video example of what happens for

:)

Radical Traffic Cone, Jul 21, 2021
  2. MisterEd Win User

Stereo Bluetooth Headphones do not reproduce stereo sound

Bluetooth 4.x headsets (headphones with microphone) have two modes:
    1. Stereo headset speakers with NO microphone
    2. Mono headset speakers with microphone

I see in the listing for your headphones it shows a microphone. Make sure your the audio is configured correctly so that you have stereo headphone speakers.

With your headphones connected with Bluetooth

Left-click on little speaker (bottom right on desktop)

all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers [​IMG]

You should see current speaker for computer
    In this example headphones in stereo is selected

all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers [​IMG]

If you click on Headphones you will bring up all options

To see more…
    Right-click on little speaker (bottom right on desktop)

Select Sounds from list

If you want Stereo Headphones but NO microphone

Select Playback tab
    Make sure Headphones is the current playback device

Select Recording tab
    Make sure Microphone array (or similar) is the current recording device

MisterEd, Jul 21, 2021
  3. MisterEd Win User
    Computer Won't Use Headphone Mic

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

If you are using Bluetooth you will find there is a gotcha when using a headset with a microphone. With Bluetooth 4.x there is not enough bandwidth for both the headset's stereo speakers and the microphone at the same time. If the headset's speakers are used in mono mode then the microphone will work. Here is the information from my computer:
    I I left-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray I see my options for the speakers:

• Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) = Laptops built-in speakers
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo) = Headphones stereo mode
    • Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio) = Headphones mono mode
    I found out that if I select "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)" the headset microphone will work.

However, I found that next time the computer might choose "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Stereo)". Then the headset speakers will work but the the headset microphone will not work.

To ensure that the right selection is always done automatically I have to go further and set the default to "Headphones (Arctis 3 Bluetooth Hands-Free AG Audio)".
    Note I can always override this at any time. To do this...
    I right-click on speaker icon on taskbar tray and left-click on Sounds

The first tab Playback is for the speakers

• Headset = Headphones mono mode
    • Headphones = Headphones stereo mode
    • Speakers = Laptops built-in speakers

The second tab Recording is for the microphone

• Headset = Headset's microphone
    • Microphone Array = Laptop's built-in microphone
    • Stereo Mix = N/A

To ensure that both the headset speakers and microphone work at the same time I set the default playback to Headset. This will put the headset in mono mode and allow the microphone to work. Note that if I disconnect the headset the computer will automatically revert back to using the built-in speakers and microphone.

MisterEd, Jul 21, 2021
  4. taward Win User

all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers

Bluetooth headphones connect but headset portion does not

All,

I have a surface pro 4, fully updated. I also have a pair of Revo bluetooth headphones. They also feature blutetooth calling capabilities (i.e. microphone).

I used to connect these without a problem. Recently something strange has been happening. Now when they connect on the headphones (i.e. stereo audio only) is recognized as an audio device.

Normally Windows recognizes headsets like this as two separate devices - headphones for audio and headsets for calling. I can confirm that device manager sees them both as functioning normally. But, as shown below, the headset portion is showing as disconnected. But there is no way to connect it.

I have uninstalled and deleted the device and re-paired it. Nothing works. Thoughts?

taward, Jul 21, 2021
Thema:

all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers

1. all Bluetooth headphones connecting as a 'hands free headset' instead of stereo speakers - Similar Threads - Bluetooth headphones connecting

2. Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free: Hello,My Bluetooth Jabra 85t headphones only connect in the stereo mode and the hands-free mode, which supports the microphone, shows disconnected in audio devices. See screenshot below.This prevents me from using the microphone function....
  3. Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free: Hello,My Bluetooth Jabra 85t headphones only connect in the stereo mode and the hands-free mode, which supports the microphone, shows disconnected in audio devices. See screenshot below.This prevents me from using the microphone function....
  4. Bluetooth Headphones connect only Stereo - not Hands-Free

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Bluetooth Headphone Won't Connect in Stereo Just in Hands Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth Headphone Won't Connect in Stereo Just in Hands Free: HiI have a pair of WH-1000XM4 headphonesPre their update 2.5.0 I got them to work as when connecting via Bluetooth it showed both LE and Stereo and I selected the Stereo, it worked great and audio was very good. Since I reinstalled Windows 10, the Bluetooth pairing only shows...
  6. Bluetooth Headphone Won't Connect in Stereo Just in Hands Free

Bluetooth Headphone Won't Connect in Stereo Just in Hands Free: HiI have a pair of WH-1000XM4 headphonesPre their update 2.5.0 I got them to work as when connecting via Bluetooth it showed both LE and Stereo and I selected the Stereo, it worked great and audio was very good. Since I reinstalled Windows 10, the Bluetooth pairing only shows...
  7. Bluetooth Headphone Won't Connect in Stereo Just in Hands Free

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Bluetooth audio device only connects as hands-free audio headset; disconnects headphone/stereo

Bluetooth audio device only connects as hands-free audio headset; disconnects headphone/stereo: Hello, While there have been issues like mine in the past, I think mines a little special. I've been able to connect my bluetooth headset, howeverI would prefer to use it as an audio output only. In the past I have been able to do this, however now I've run into some...
  9. Bluetooth stereo and hands free

Bluetooth stereo and hands free: okay so I bought a wireless headphone a week ago and it works perfectly on my devices but as soon as I connect to windows it separates my headphone into two profiles one as a bluetooth headphone which allows me to hear audio fine and the other profile is bluetooth headset...
  10. bluetooth speaker not working in stereo mode, instead working as hands free

bluetooth speaker not working in stereo mode, instead working as hands free: hi everyone, I have a Harman Kardon Aura studio 2 speaker, when I connect the speaker to my laptop, the stereo speaker disables as soon as I test the sound and it goes to the hands free mode, what should I do?...