Windows 10: All browsers freeze streaming video from Xfinity / Comcast

Discus and support All browsers freeze streaming video from Xfinity / Comcast in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; So, Xfinity/Comcast did a major update to their web page used for streaming live TV and On-Demand. It used to work OK with the previous web site, but... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by pjc123, Oct 31, 2016.

1. pjc123 Win User

All browsers freeze streaming video from Xfinity / Comcast

So, Xfinity/Comcast did a major update to their web page used for streaming live TV and On-Demand. It used to work OK with the previous web site, but now when I stream live TV or movies they freeze every few seconds to every few minutes. Pretty weird, but in almost all cases minimizing or maximizing the browser restarts the video until it freezes again. Makes it pretty brutal doing this for a 2 hour movie (Like hundreds of times I have to minimize or maximize the browser to continue watching). I see only a few people complaining of this, which kinda leads me to believe it is a combination of the newer streaming method being very bloated and my low end laptop hardware not being able to handle it, but I am just guessing here. Maybe there is a setting change I can make somewhere in Windows?

Things I have tried:
    1) Different browsers. It happens in all browsers (Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge), although Microsoft Edge is the better of the three in this regard.
    2) Turned off hardware acceleration. Did not help.
    3) Checked if their was an update to the video driver both directly from the card manufacturer and the laptop manufacturer. There is not. All other drivers are up to date.
    4) Tried this at several peoples locations with different ISP's, different router hardware, etc. No improvement.
    5) Ran CCleaner to clear out any junk, along with various other cleaning methods. I have to do this on a regular basis anyway because of the 32 GB storage limitation for the OS..
    6) All my antivirus is updated daily, with frequent full or partial scans (Nortons, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster).
    7) Checked Task manager. Yes the cpu maxes out at 100% occasionally, or memory is close to being used up sometimes, but there is no correlation of this to the moment the freeze occurs.
    8) No entries in the event viewer.

Any ideas?

Now the laptop is low end. I got it because I just needed something temporary while traveling and wanted something small, light and cheap. So other than this problem it works very well, albeit obviously no speed demon. I do have a high end custom built desktop, but it is in storage until I find a place to settle down and can set it up again.

HERE ARE THE SPECS:
    MANUFACTURER = HP
    MODEL NAME = HP STREAM 11
    AMAZON PART # = 11-r010nr
    HP PRODUCT # = N5X86UA#ABA
    WHEN PURCHASED = 1 year ago.
    RAM = 2 GB
    CPU = Intel Celeron N3050 (1.60 GHz)
    STORAGE DEVICE # 1 = eMMC (32GB). cpu / memory inttensive applications are stored here (Including browsers wherever possible)
    STORAGE DEVICE # 2 = SD Card (32GB). All other applications are stored here to save space for the OS which must be installed on STORAGE DEVICE # 1.
    OPERATING SYSTEM = Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition. (The Anniversary update has not been installed yet. First of all the update fails because I need to get a flash drive for more space so it can proceed. Secondly I can not live without the laptop at the moment, so I am in no rush for the update and there are still quite a few bugs). All other Windows Updates are current.

:)

pjc123, Oct 31, 2016

2. Video streaming

The latest Windows 10 version 16257.rs3_release 170728-1700 has resulted in poor performance in streaming Comcast XFINITY TV. Screen freezes for a couple seconds intermittently as well as the audio skipping. Very annoying. It does it in the Edge browser
    as well as Google Chrome? I have Comcast hi speed internet which performs well? I have an ASUS RT-AC66U router which never has had any issues.

What can be done to eliminate the streaming freezing?

Ray Zenisek

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RayZenisek, Oct 31, 2016
  3. Comcast email issue after Windows 10 install

The video problem is not necessarily related to Firefox browser. Lots of people have problems with Comcast videos with several different browsers being used.

I use OPERA browser and can access Comcast well. It is based on the Firefox model.

Have you considered inserting your Comcast email to the Microsoft Metro mail app? Below is a link on how to do this.

How to Setup Comcast Email in Windows 10

Here is link to other Comcast users with the same problem you have. The Comcast forum is by far the best way to contact Comcast about anything.

Solved: Windows 10 and Comcast Email Issues - Xfinity Help and Support Forums - 2575550

DavidG_908, Oct 31, 2016
  4. pjc123 Win User

Replaced Windows with Linux Mint 18.3. No more Video lag, freezes or buffering. The laptop is also much faster.

pjc123, Dec 17, 2017
Thema:

1. All browsers freeze streaming video from Xfinity / Comcast - Similar Threads - browsers freeze streaming

2. importing contacts from outlook address book to my xfinity/comcast address book.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    importing contacts from outlook address book to my xfinity/comcast address book.: Okay, I am trying to "migrate" my outlook 2016 contacts to xfinity/comcast address book but am having a problem. I open xfinity/comcast and select import contacts and it says migration is in progress but the time elapse wheel keeps going and going and going and nothing...
  3. Internet Explorer browser on Xfinity X1

Internet Explorer browser on Xfinity X1: Suggest steps to install Internet Explorer browser on Xfinity X1. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-browser-on-xfinity-x1/6e803994-1ac3-4641-b9fc-13b45dba9330
  4. All videos are stuttering in browsers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    All videos are stuttering in browsers: I have Windows 10 desktop PC latest updates installed, AMD CPU and NVIDIA GPU. I started getting massive stutter in all videos in web browsers, including Edge, Chrome, Firefox, IE, Opera. Basically looks like dropped frames and bad frame timing. I don't notice a stutter in 3D...
  5. My Microsoft EDGE Browser will not stream video from my CBS ALL ACCESS nor AMAZON PRIME...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Microsoft EDGE Browser will not stream video from my CBS ALL ACCESS nor AMAZON PRIME...: re: My Microsoft EDGE Browser will not stream video from my CBS ALL ACCESS nor AMAZON PRIME VIDEO accounts At least, that is all I know of until now. This is after I uninstalled my GOOGLE CHROME and hopefully all of its internal spyware **** associated with it. I...
  6. Adobe flash will not play Xfinity stream on Win10pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Adobe flash will not play Xfinity stream on Win10pro: Tried to watch shows, always wants to enable flash. Go thru the steps to load, and comes back to the same screen about flash not loading. Verified the version, and have the latest. Went through settings, and deleted Adobe Flash, rebooted, and tried again, but same result....
  7. All streamed videos are low quality

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All streamed videos are low quality: Hi There, No matter what service I use, BBC iPlayer, Sky Go and most online streaming services, the quality of the video seems very poor and pixelated. I have fast internet (200mbps). I have ensured all drivers are up to date. I have disabled windows defender and...
  8. Edge Browser fails to connect with Comcast Xfinity online TV -or- HBO NOW app.

Edge Browser fails to connect with Comcast Xfinity online TV -or- HBO NOW app.: The updated Edge browser included with windows 10 version 1803 fails to connect with Comcast Xfinity Online TV and with the HBO NOW app and yet IE -11, Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Opera and Vivaldi ALL can stream BOTH without incident. It seems Microsoft cannot legitimately...
  9. Wireless Display Adapter issue with streaming video from web browser

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wireless Display Adapter issue with streaming video from web browser: I have a Wireless Display Adapter. It used to work with no issues. I hadn't used it in a few months, until last month. When I started using it again, I was streaming some video from a website via Firefox. The video played perfectly on my computer monitor, but on my TV...
  10. streaming video

streaming video: Hi. I am running windows 10 and want to stream the video on my PC with my TV which are both on the same network. I had used Samsung smart view but even that has stopped since I updated to 10. I have tried to add the TV to my home group but that doesn`t work either. Any...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what makes xinity broadband freeze up when on amazon prime or demand

2. xfinity ondemand is crashing browser