Windows 10: All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

Discus and support All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Suddenly, on my computer but not my wife's, every one of my browsers Edge, Chrome and Brave is giving me the option to save pictures in only the jfif... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by oreveredrist, Dec 27, 2021.

1. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

Suddenly, on my computer but not my wife's, every one of my browsers Edge, Chrome and Brave is giving me the option to save pictures in only the jfif format. Jpeg or jpg is not being offered. I've seen various threads about this and how the behavior can be reverted to jpeg/jpg by editing Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg in Regedit. But, outside of a few mentions of some Windows Updates causing this, I haven't found a documented source of the problem. Does anyone know what can be causing this and how to stop it?

:)

oreveredrist, Dec 27, 2021
  2. maxwelwp Win User

.jpg vs .jfif extension

In the last few months, every windows update changes the registry setting for saving jpeg images from .jpg to .jfif. Why is this continually changing even after I change the registry setting back to .jpg?

As a side note, the image I am saving is NOT a .jfif file and I do not have the option to save as a .jpg from the file save window. Only after changing the registry setting back to .jpg am I able to save with a .jpg extension.

maxwelwp, Dec 27, 2021
  3. maxwelwp Win User
    .jpg vs .jfif extension

These are being saved from a web page and Microsoft edge browser.

However saving the file is not what is changing the registry setting. The following setting is what is being changed after an update to windows

Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\image/jpeg

A search of the registry finds several .jfif entries but setting the one referenced above allows the image to be saved with the .jpg extension as it did in the past.

maxwelwp, Dec 27, 2021
  4. Joe Men Win User

All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

Cant save pictures from browser to phone

Hello
    Matteo

The default browser of the Windows 10 Mobile operating system is Microsoft Edge. Here are the steps on how one can save pictures via the said browser:

• Open the image that you wanted to save by tapping on it.
    • Once the image is open, tap and hold it about two to three seconds and the contextual menu will appear.
    • Tap Save picture on the contextual menu to save the image.

Feel free to post back if you have other questions.

Joe Men, Dec 27, 2021
Thema:

All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

1. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg - Similar Threads - Browsers Suddenly Save

2. Pictures won't save all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pictures won't save all of a sudden: I've been copying pics from my yahoo email, about 50 so far today and all of a sudden it stopped working. I right click the picture, hit save as and save in the folder. Now it doesn't show up in the folder and the paste button is grey-inactive. Any suggestions on how to...
  3. Pictures won't save all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pictures won't save all of a sudden: I've been copying pics from my yahoo email, about 50 so far today and all of a sudden it stopped working. I right click the picture, hit save as and save in the folder. Now it doesn't show up in the folder and the paste button is grey-inactive. Any suggestions on how to...
  4. Pictures won't save all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg: Suddenly, on my computer but not my wife's, every one of my browsers Edge, Chrome and Brave is giving me the option to save pictures in only the jfif format. Jpeg or jpg is not being offered. I've seen various threads about this and how the behavior can be reverted to...
  6. All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Browsers Suddenly Save All Images from All Sources as .jfif instead of .jpeg or .jpg: Suddenly, on my computer but not my wife's, every one of my browsers Edge, Chrome and Brave is giving me the option to save pictures in only the jfif format. Jpeg or jpg is not being offered. I've seen various threads about this and how the behavior can be reverted to...
  7. Save all images to devise

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Save all images to devise: I there a way to save all images to device in a sicky note at once. currently i can only save one image to device at a time and its time consuming if you are saving a lot of images. Does this function exist? if not, are there any plans to add it?...
  8. Windows 10 saving .jpeg image as a '.jfif'

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 saving .jpeg image as a '.jfif': I found guides to fix online and here (https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/af0azy/windows_10_had_been_saving_nearly_every_image_as/ except I have no HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\ directory in registry. Please help. I use a bit of old software and worried it not accepting...
  9. All browsers startup slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All browsers startup slow all of a sudden: Hello, When I first startup any browser ( Chrome, Edge, Firefox) they all take about 23 to 25 seconds to work. (So they will all start but the browser is just white as if it is loading). However, when I open up another window of any of those listed browsers it opens...
  10. Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows saving as jpeg instead of jpg: Not sure if this is a windows problem or not but I've tried everything with my browsers to resolve this. Whenever i save an image in firefox and chrome the save file type is greyed out and the images are always saved as jpeg instead of the native jpg and my embroidery...