Windows 10: All default apps missing after system reset

Discus and support All default apps missing after system reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, Recently I attempted to go through with a new windows update (insider preview Build 18932.rs_prerelease.190628-1650). However, at the very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vaela, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Vaela Win User

All default apps missing after system reset

Hello all,

Recently I attempted to go through with a new windows update (insider preview Build 18932.rs_prerelease.190628-1650). However, at the very end of the update my computer failed with an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error. From there, I got into the recovery menu, and chose to reset windows while keeping all personal documents. While it did reset windows and keep my documents, it reset it a bit too well. Now, I have none of the windows 10 default microsoft apps at all. Examples of such are the Microsoft Store, Calculator, any way to access any of the office apps, Photos, Camera and definitely others which I can't remember. Microsoft Edge is available however, as well as non-new(?) applications such as Notepad and different administrative apps such as Control Panel and Disk Management.

To note, I have tried seemingly every solution posted both on the Community pages here and elsewhere on the internet including processing a lot of powershell commands, all of which didn't do a thing. Does anybody have a potential resolution to this other than wiping the whole drive and starting from scratch please? If really necessary I can fully wipe, but I'd prefer it to be a last resort.

Thanks in advance! Also apologies if I didn't choose the right windows topic, I don't really know which one this would fit into.

:)

Vaela, Jul 25, 2019
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done All default apps missing after system reset :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 25, 2019
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Windows 10 Home > Missing Windows Store and default apps after reset windows.

Hi Bhavin,

Corruptions may be the possible reason why your Windows Store and default apps are missing. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Have you tried booting up your computer in Safe Mode?

In the meantime, we suggest that you download and run the
    Windows Update Troubleshooter
    for Windows 10 and
    Windows Apps Troubleshooter
    to diagnose apps issue. In addition to that may also perform the instructions in this

article
    which allows you to scan for corruptions and restore corrupted files.

Feel free to post us back if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Jul 25, 2019
  4. All default apps missing after system reset

Resetting Default App in Widows 10

Hi Peter,

Some of the possible reason why you're default apps reset every reboot is due to corrupted system files or third party software. We suggest that you set at least 2 or 3 default apps then perform a clean boot and check if the issue is occurring due to any
    third party programs. Click this
    link
    to view the steps on how to perform a clean boot.

Let us know if the suggestions help you in resolving the problem.

Regile Reb, Jul 25, 2019
Thema:

All default apps missing after system reset

1. All default apps missing after system reset - Similar Threads - default apps missing

2. How to reset default app for all 'open file with'

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to reset default app for all 'open file with': [ATTACH] How can i reset the option 'open file with' to dafault app. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reset-default-app-for-all-open-file-with/d7e54c63-68a7-4f22-95e6-ded8b89d1d67"
  3. Windows Apps Missing After Reset

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Windows Apps Missing After Reset: Hello, so a few days ago I couldn't get past my lock screen I entered my password it showed a loading circle and again took me to lock screen I was in an infinite loop I had to reset my PC it was the only option I had after resetting I noticed my windows apps are gone...
  4. "An App Default was Reset"

in Windows 10 Customization
    "An App Default was Reset": I would like to prevent Win10 from resetting my default apps for a given file extension. Either the chance to approve any changes to my default apps, such as we had in previous Windows versions, or to find the app reset "feature" and break it beyond repair disable it...
  5. An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An app default was reset. An app caused a problem with the default app: I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the first app I installed was Google Chrome, and I began experiencing this issue after every restart. I've installed other apps since then, all the latest versions and my default apps keep getting reset to the generic Windows options....
  6. All Microsoft apps are missing after refresh

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All Microsoft apps are missing after refresh: I had to refresh my machine. I chose remove everything which I have done before and usually everything that is preinstalled is there but this time I have NO Microsoft apps - no store - no mail and so on. I need those back - I actually refreshed after refreshing thinking it...
  7. App defaults resetting

in Windows 10 Customization
    App defaults resetting: How can I lock my defaults and prohibit Windows 10 from resetting them? Why isn't there a simple checkbox to lock defaults? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/app-defaults-resetting/77707996-8b34-444a-9c68-678d2dfebe69
  8. Restore/Reset System to defaults

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore/Reset System to defaults: Hi, I bought a laptop Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5577 model 3 months ago. This was meant to be a temporary machine, as I was waiting for my primary laptop machine to be back from the service. Now Im not using this machine at all and I want to sell it. And for obvious reasons I...
  9. Reset all Privacy settings to Default?

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset all Privacy settings to Default?: How can I reset some settings to the default without Resetting the whole Windows 10 OS? For example, I want to reset all the Privacy Settings back to its original? Is there any way to accomplish this without going into Troubleshooting section and Resetting the whole entire...
  10. All system icons are missing

in Windows 10 Support
    All system icons are missing: I know this sounds like an easy fix but it is not. I have scoured the entire internet and experimented myself extensively on trying to fix this problem so I would be grateful if someone here would like to help me. The problem is this: I have Windows 10 Home and all of my...