Windows 10: All drives and all files have become read-only

Discus and support All drives and all files have become read-only in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I noticed this 3 days ago after restarting my PC that I couldn't make any new folders. I then did some looking around and realised my drives (SSD boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/AarashJ, Dec 28, 2019.

1. All drives and all files have become read-only

I noticed this 3 days ago after restarting my PC that I couldn't make any new folders. I then did some looking around and realised my drives (SSD boot drive and HDD secondary) were both read-only.
    I've tried unticking the read-only box in properties of the folders but they just revert back. I've also tried using cmd to change the attributes of the folders and drives but it did nothing. Restarting my PC has done nothing and I had a go at changing the permissions of the drives but I'm not the best at that and could do with some help.
    Any help at all is welcomed

submitted by /u/AarashJ
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/AarashJ, Dec 28, 2019
  2. Try3 Win User

Need solution for automating transferring of files to flash drives

I am wary of jumping straight in at the deep end so I have a couple of questions.

1 How do you know which files to copy to which memory stick? Can you put a list for each one in a text file?
    2 Are you free to give each memory stick a specific label so that it can be detected in order to trigger the specific list that you have written for that memory stick?

I do have a batch file procedure for identifying the drive letter currently being used for a given external drive label. So perhaps you could trigger a common batch file that
    Step 1 - checks each drive in turn to read its label and then find its current drive letter
    Step 2 - for each detected drive, look up the list given in the batch file to identify which [if any] text file to look in to find the files to copy to that memory stick.
    Step 3 - copies the files listed in the relevant text file

Denis

3. KomouPoji Win User
    how to copy files from the CD to the Computer drive

Hi Hankriegler,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click file explorer from the list.

• Select the CD/DVD drive and hit Enter.

• Select the files you want to copy from the CD/DVD, then select the drive where you want to paste or save.
    I hope the information is helpful.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Xylee Del Win User

All drives and all files have become read-only

Read only files

Since you mentioned above that you are using an Administrator account, and after creating a new user account didn't make any changes, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps below and see if it helps:

Take full control on permissions.

• Open File Explorer. Right-click on your C Drive, and choose Properties.
    • Go to Security tab. Click Advanced, then
      Change Permissions
    • Highlight the user, and click Edit.
    • Choose This folder, subfolders and files under Applies to:.
    • Choose Full Control under Basic Permissions.
    • Click OK.

If there are other users on the computer, follow the steps below:

• Go to C Drive.
    • Right-click your user name in Users folder, then click Properties.
    • Go to Security tab.
    • Click Advanced, then click Continue.
    • Click Enable Inheritance.

Let us know the results.

Xylee Del, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

All drives and all files have become read-only

1. All drives and all files have become read-only - Similar Threads - drives files become

2. All of my files have become read-only in my windows 11 pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All of my files have become read-only in my windows 11 pro.: All of a sudden, all my files have become read-only. I have tried everything that has been suggested. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-of-my-files-have-become-read-only-in-my/9170d2be-eea0-49ea-9a9e-fee02fd51e4d
  3. All of my files have become read-only in my windows 11 pro.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All of my files have become read-only in my windows 11 pro.: All of a sudden, all my files have become read-only. I have tried everything that has been suggested. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-of-my-files-have-become-read-only-in-my/9170d2be-eea0-49ea-9a9e-fee02fd51e4d
  4. All my folders have suddenly become read only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders have suddenly become read only.: Hello! I was working on my laptop today and I couldn't create folders to save my files in. It was working fine a few days ago. Although I noticed the problem today. I looked on the internet and I saw sites telling me to scan for corrupted files through CMD. However CMD told...
  5. All my folders have suddenly become read only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my folders have suddenly become read only.: Hello! I was working on my laptop today and I couldn't create folders to save my files in. It was working fine a few days ago. Although I noticed the problem today. I looked on the internet and I saw sites telling me to scan for corrupted files through CMD. However CMD told...
  6. All files stuck in read only mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All files stuck in read only mode: Recently enountered a problem where all my files are stuck in read only, so far I have:- Made sure I have permissions to edit folders through the security tab of properties- Unchecked read-only after pressing accept and reopening properties it immediately reverts back to read...
  7. all files have become read only

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    all files have become read only: in windows 10 all files have become read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-files-have-become-read-only/0ba89393-e14d-4c97-9485-a610f66646c8
  8. Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ?: win 10 Home v 10.0.18362 Tia; If this is not the right forum , Please aim me at the proper one . Files and Folders all marked as 'Read Only' ? I don't know how this happened , but it started yesterday . I am trying to backup Folders to flash drive , but the Read-only get...
  9. Read only folders on all disc drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read only folders on all disc drives: Hello, past few days I am experiencing very bad situation with computer. I read many posts but I still do not get things working as they should so I am hoping that I will get some answers here. I am guessing that with latest update windows decided that my folders are...
  10. All files read only on windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    All files read only on windows 10: Hey everyone, need some help So when I booted my pc this morning, every single file on my computer has become read only and I have absolutely no idea whats caused this problem. I've tried multiple solutions to this problem I've found on google and nothing has worked. I...