Windows 10: All External Drives Never Sleep

Discus and support All External Drives Never Sleep in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Happy Holidays everyone. :) For some time now I have been experiencing the problem that no external HDD sleeps and I must simply keep them unplugged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cmcole101, Dec 27, 2019.

1. cmcole101 Win User

All External Drives Never Sleep

Happy Holidays everyone. All External Drives Never Sleep :)

For some time now I have been experiencing the problem that no external HDD sleeps and I must simply keep them unplugged until needed. Nothing I do in Power Options works. Last week I allowed my system to install all available Windows Updates, and yesterday while I was installing a new graphics card to handle my new 4K SMART TV I added a USB 3.0 card which contains 2 ports. I plugged in 2 external drives to see if they would go to sleep after being connected off the mainboard ports and still all 4 external drives stayed running all night. I've changed Power Options from 1 minute to 20 minutes but they never shut off no matter what the time is set to.

My current version of Windows is 10 Pro, 1903, OS Build 18362.535.

No changes I've made through the registry, Device Manager, nor Policies through each HDD Properties have worked.

Anyone have the solution to this issue? I feel it is just a matter of time before all these drives burn up and all data will be lost.

Thank you. Cole

:)

cmcole101, Dec 27, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Dec 27, 2019
  4. Romel Ram Win User

Loss of External drives

Hi,

For better assistance, kindly verify the queries below:

• What is the make and model of the external drives?
    • Have you checked if both drivers are recognized on the BIOS settings?
    • Are you connecting the external hard drives via USB?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far for this issue?
    Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Romel Ram, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

1. All External Drives Never Sleep - Similar Threads - External Drives Never

2. Start? Never at all.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start? Never at all.: I Rt Clk the Windows logo/hit Win+X for that menu & or to Shut Down/Restart Win+X+? means no need to open the whole menu That said, does anyone bother > Start for anything or any reason? I never use or need it.Of course, the 'trick' is I have a File Explorer window living on...
  3. Access Denied on all external drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access Denied on all external drives: I get Access Denied errors when opening external USB drives via USB and SD drives from the SD port on my laptop. I know that these drives are working fine on other machines.I cannot open the drive, change ownership, share the drive, or anything. My account is administrator...
  4. Access Denied on all external drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access Denied on all external drives: I get Access Denied errors when opening external USB drives via USB and SD drives from the SD port on my laptop. I know that these drives are working fine on other machines.I cannot open the drive, change ownership, share the drive, or anything. My account is administrator...
  5. Access Denied on all external drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. External Hard Drives constantly sleeping despite all suggestions. Please help...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Hard Drives constantly sleeping despite all suggestions. Please help...: I have a Dell XPS15 9500 running Windows 10. My external hard drives power down every 30 seconds they are not accessed and I can not find how to keep them spinning. I have spend literally DAYS trying to solve this issue.I am currently using a LaCie 10TB drive. I bought a...
  7. External Hard Drive sleeping immediately

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    External Hard Drive sleeping immediately: I have literally spent days on this issue and could sure use some help. There are dozens and dozens of posts on this, none of which have worked for me.I have multiple external hard disk drives that I use for photo and video editing. They power down frequently and cause...
  8. External USB drive sleeps when idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External USB drive sleeps when idle: I have a independently-powered WD Elements 8TB external HDD connected via USB 3.0 to one of the ports on my ASRock Z170 motherboard. I'm running Win10 Pro v1903, and I've read that my issue isn't uncommon. While I've never sat down & timed it down to the minute, if the drive...
  9. "Cortana never sleeps"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Cortana never sleeps": I have Win 10 build 10147 and one of the things that's run amok is Cortana just pops up her head and says something like "somethings wrong please try again later". I am AFK watching TV when it happens. Nothing is running, that I can see. Its getting more frequent so I am...
  10. Hard drives never goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drives never goes to sleep: Bonjour, I am having an issue with a "fresh" Windows 10 installation. I emphasis "fresh" because it ain't so fresh anymore but has been reinstalled and the problem was not present on my last installation. I currently have 4 standard HDD (3x green, 1x black) and 1 SSD...