Windows 10: All external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible

Discus and support All external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have been asked to move my office setup to home. I work in a very small media company which doesn't have an IT expert available. So we have to figure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/pixelRaid, Mar 16, 2020.

1. All external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible

I have been asked to move my office setup to home. I work in a very small media company which doesn't have an IT expert available. So we have to figure out moving softwares and data ourselves. It's messed up, but it is how it is.

My issue is coming when I'm moving some files using an external drive from a Windows 7 desktop to a Windows 10 laptop. All the drives that I have tried work perfectly fine on the Windows 7 and even Mac systems. But as soon as I plug these drives to the Windows 10 laptop, they don't show up in the 'This PC' window. When I check Disk Management, it says ALL the drives have exactly 128 MB of unallocated space. Every single drive has the same issue. I am unable to connect any external drive to my system.

The two solutions that I found after some searching cannot be used by me. One is to format the drives, I cannot do that as they have important data on them. The other is to use a third party app. The three apps that I tried scan the data for free, but then ask for money to recover it. Besides, I feel if EVERY single external drive is showing the same issue, maybe it's something on my laptop.

I don't know what other information I am supposed to provide. Let me know if there's anything.

submitted by /u/pixelRaid
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/pixelRaid, Mar 16, 2020
  2. nancy3243 Win User

Move unallocated space in external drive

Windows 10 OS-I have an external drive with 200 GB of unallocated space on the E Drive Disk1. How can I move this unallocated space to the E Drive to allow for a larger backup.

how to use unallocated space on my external drive- Original Title

nancy3243, Mar 16, 2020
  3. Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Mar 16, 2020
  4. Ruz San Win User

All external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Hi Travis,

It appears that a disk partition was created but was never assigned its allocation. Assuming there are no files stored in the unallocated partition, perform these steps to combine it with your C: drive:

• In Disk Management, right-click on (CAll external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible :) which appears next to the
      Unallocated partition.
    • Select Extend.

Let us know if you're able to combine the spaces after following the steps above.

Regards.

Ruz San, Mar 16, 2020
Thema:

All external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible

1. All external drives showing unallocated space and becoming inaccessible - Similar Threads - external drives showing

2. External NTFS formatted drive shows as unallocated space in Win11 but works fine in Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External NTFS formatted drive shows as unallocated space in Win11 but works fine in Win10: Drive shows in computer management as unallocated and obviously gets no drive letter. Tested on 2 Win11 laptops. Tested on 4 Win 10 machines and filesystem is fine, drive mounts and functions as expected....
  3. External NTFS formatted drive shows as unallocated space in Win11 but works fine in Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External NTFS formatted drive shows as unallocated space in Win11 but works fine in Win10: Drive shows in computer management as unallocated and obviously gets no drive letter. Tested on 2 Win11 laptops. Tested on 4 Win 10 machines and filesystem is fine, drive mounts and functions as expected....
  4. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  5. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

The disk space is showing unallocated space.: While i was checking it is showing 5 mb unallocated is this right .i have 1 tb hdd is it good to show 931 gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-disk-space-is-showing-unallocated-space/82fc8895-87f0-4ea5-bcd6-a761f8b71540
  6. The disk space is showing unallocated space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Unallocated Space is showing Low Space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unallocated Space is showing Low Space: I was trying to increase the space of "C" drive. In the meanwhile; I see there is unallocated space about 164.35 GB see pic I treid to make new volume but it always shows see picI also tried on Minitool but failed see picKindly guide me. Actually I want to add this...
  8. Unallocated Space is showing Low Space

Unallocated Space is showing Low Space: I was trying to increase the space of "C" drive. In the meanwhile; I see there is unallocated space about 164.35 GB see pic I treid to make new volume but it always shows see picI also tried on Minitool but failed see picKindly guide me. Actually I want to add this...
  9. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...
  10. No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.

No unallocated space showing up on external hard drive.: I am trying to create partition on a new external hard drive but it won't let me since there's nothing to right click. The hard drive is 1.9tb but when I look the details in disk management, none of that storage space shows up. It also doesn't show up in My PC. Is there...