Windows 10: all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix.

Discus and support all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/fadbob [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/fadbob, Apr 14, 2021.

1. /u/fadbob Win User

all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix.

/u/fadbob, Apr 14, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Quick Access Recent Files icons in explorer are blank - no icon

all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix. [​IMG]

Hi, you can see the two white Recent files entries with no icons. I seem to have no other issue with icons.

I've tried deleting and rebuilding the icon cache, and clearing explorer history.
    The problem remains having done the anniversary upgrade.

This used to be fine, and I don't know when it changed, unfortunately, so suggesting system restore or restoring disk images (which I have) may not be the best way forward.

Any suggestions please? Thanks!

dalchina, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Blank file explorer icon.

Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop

Once in a while, the shortcut icons on the Windows desktop may suddenly been changed or became blank or ‘white paper’ icon, where supposedly the icons should be colorful and customized in style and color. It’s as if the icon for the shortcut has been removed
    or unassigned, and been replaced with default blank icon in white.

The bug happens whenever there is corruption in icon cache database. For example, in Windows 7 pre-RC release, a network connection or broadband connection shortcut’s icon placed on desktop by user manually will go haywire and turn into blank default icon if
    there is another third-party program places an icon on desktop later.

In order to fix the problem where shortcut icons turn to blank icon, try to refresh or rebuild the cache database for icons. There are many system management software utilities that may reset the icon cache db automatically, but here’s how to reset the icon
    cache db manually.

To refresh and reset the icons cache, go to the following folder:

C:\Users\\AppData\Local\

To see the hidden AppData folder, go to Organize -> Folder and Search Options ->
    View tab, and select Show hidden files, folders and drives, and uncheck
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Once inside the folder, delete IconCache.db. Create a new file named IconCache.db, and set it to
    Read Only attribute in Properties (if the file is not read only, the cache won’t be reset). Then restart the computer. Remove the Read Only attribute of IconCache.db file, and the icons cache will be refreshed. The step will restore the desktop
    shortcut icons to their lawfully icons.

Reference: Fix Blank or White Shortcut Icons on Desktop « My Digital Life

Charivel Palisoc, Apr 14, 2021
  4. spysmily1 Win User

all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix.

Icon for cmd.exe blank in File Explorer

The icon for cmd.exe is a blank file as in the image.

all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix. [​IMG]

You can see the icon is correct in the properties window.

This is a recent clean install of windows about a week ago. Not sure when they changed but I do remember having the icon correct after the initial install. I've followed the instructions to rebuild icon cache for Windows 10 at http://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-...in-windows-10/. It did not work.

Any suggestions would be great.

spysmily1, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

1. all file types apear as blank paper icons in file explorer, tried all ways, no fix. - Similar Threads - file types apear

2. How to fix icon/thumbnails not rendering at all in file explorer and taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to fix icon/thumbnails not rendering at all in file explorer and taskbar: Yesterday everything was fine but when i launched my laptop today i dont see thumbnails and icons. Well they are but they look like default with white background. In the windows menuwhen press windows on keyboard i see thumbnails/icons just fine.In the file explorer i see no...
  3. Windows Media Player all file icons are blank

Windows Media Player all file icons are blank: All of them are blank they're just black and I don't know how to fix it. Pls help. All of them are like this -> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-all-file-icons-are-blank/f70e5df3-5cff-468e-a674-beec42a9cca9
  4. Windows Media Player all file icons are blank

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player all file icons are blank: All of them are blank they're just black and I don't know how to fix it. Pls help. All of them are like this -> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-media-player-all-file-icons-are-blank/f70e5df3-5cff-468e-a674-beec42a9cca9
  5. Windows Media Player all file icons are blank

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Is there a way to delete all "Recent Files" list in File Explorer all at once?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to delete all "Recent Files" list in File Explorer all at once?: Is there a way to delete all "Recent Files" list in File Explorer all at once? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-delete-all-recent-files-list-in/182cf87b-3900-46d3-b794-99581f1ffad9
  7. Is there a way to delete all "Recent Files" list in File Explorer all at once?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to delete all "Recent Files" list in File Explorer all at once?: Is there a way to delete all "Recent Files" list in File Explorer all at once? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-a-way-to-delete-all-recent-files-list-in/182cf87b-3900-46d3-b794-99581f1ffad9
  8. Trying to reset file extension icon to blank paper icon (no program default to open)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to reset file extension icon to blank paper icon (no program default to open): I am trying to reset my PC to have NO default program to open file type .dxf. Right now the icon is for MSpaint, and I can’t unselect a default program. I tried uninstalling paint but that didn’t work to reset icon either. Is it possible to set the blank white paper icon for...
  9. File Explorer Not responding - have tried ALL the fixes previously listed

File Explorer Not responding - have tried ALL the fixes previously listed: I am concerned about the number of posts with the same problem, so I am assuming it is not something we have done, but is an issue with Microsoft? I have been through ALL the previous posts and responses and fixes. Done all of them. NOTHING has worked. I can OPEN File...
  10. File Explorer Icons blank

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Icons blank: After reinstalling Windows 10 my Word and data file icons were blank. I found in C:\windows\SHELLNEWthat the WINWORD8.DOC icon was blank so I changed it to the correct icon and itfixed my problems! See image: 90226

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 all files turn blank