Windows 10: All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden

Discus and support All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Two days ago I noticed that my 4TB drive was no longer showing the bar in Computer that shows you how much of the drive has been used. It simply showed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Myownfriend, Oct 27, 2020.

1. All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden

Two days ago I noticed that my 4TB drive was no longer showing the bar in Computer that shows you how much of the drive has been used. It simply showed the drive name and that it was NTFS formatted.

When I tried to access it, I got a "D:\ Access Denied" message.

I checked the permissions for the drive and it said "Ownership: ??". I assigned ownership and Full control to theUsers and Administrators groups but it was having trouble applying them. After trying twice, it eventually said the permissions forUsers was corrupted. I deleted the those permissions and it finally let me access the drive but it appears to blank.

I scanned the drive with file recovery software Recuva. After a 7 hour scan I was able to see all of my files and it judged them to all be in excellent condition and I was able to recover them all to an external driver over the course of nearly 24 hours.

After doing that I ran chkdsk on the drive and it reported back the following.

" 242998147 KB total disk space.
    190331760 KB in 757104 files.
    541372 KB in 110744 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    1463027 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    50661988 KB available on disk."

From everything I can gather, the drive seems to be fine and all my files are there but drive Windows can't see them. I'm assuming it's a problem with the drives metadata and I'm wondering what the best course of action would be.

:)

Myownfriend, Oct 27, 2020

2. New 4TB Hard Drive Read As 1.6TB

The 4TB drive only shows 1.6TB, there always are two reasons for that:

1.The 4TB hard drive has been initialized to a wrong partition table. If you find a formatted hard drive not showing full capacity, which is mainly because you format the
    4TB hard drive to MBR partition table. As we all know, MBR partition table cannot address to the space that exceeds 2TB. As a result, to use a full capacity of a hard drive that is larger than 2TB, you need to initialize it to GPT partition table
    via
    an MBR to GPT converter

2.The 4TB external hard drive does not connect correctly. Some portable hard drive and USB hard drive are designed to connect a PC via a USB port. If you install the USB hard drive to your computer, the hard drive capacity detecting may
    become an issue. An accepted explanation is the controller board of USB hard drive breaks the 2TB limitation, yet Windows internal device controller does not. Therefore, you need to additional hardware to make the installed USB/portable hard drive showing
    full capacity. In that case, all you need to do is connecting the 4TB USB hard drive via USB port.

emilywang2, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Drone Win User
    Stored files in Hard Drive

You can use Windows search. Just search for *.* on a desired drive. When list is done just arrange them by size LOL.

You can do it via command line as well and make an output text file showing files and their sizes (but without arrangement)

Drone, Oct 27, 2020
  4. All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden

Windows 7 and 4TB Hard Drive

I had the same problem. No matter what I did I could not see beyond 1687 GB
    * Disk 2 Online 1678 GB 1677 GB *

This will be a secondary drive for me too.
    I tried all of the above to no avail.

When I was ready to give up, thinking my 6-year old system (Alienware X58 with Asus P6T Deluxe MB with Marvell Raid Controller) would not handle the drive, I went through WD pages about the drive, and saw Windows 7 support as long as you have the latest Intel drive:

Do I need a special driver to install a WD Advanced Format Drive on an Intel chipset?

If your operating system is either Windows 7 or Vista, we recommend the following for maximum performance in all situations:
    This surprised me since I still see the WD Green 4TB drive appearing during bios boot disk list with 1687 GB.

Hope this helps other people looking for this solution.

Scott-Geek, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden

1. All files on my 4TB hard drive appear to be hidden - Similar Threads - files 4TB hard

2. 4TB hard drive not getting all space available

in Windows 10 Gaming
    4TB hard drive not getting all space available: Hey guys,I have a 4TB hard drive that used to be plugged in to an old PC that only read it as being 2TB, now it's on a newer computer, but it will still not show as 4TB, it doesn't let me resize/expand it in Disk Management, I deleted all the partitions in it, but it shows as...
  3. 4TB hard drive not getting all space available

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    4TB hard drive not getting all space available: Hey guys,I have a 4TB hard drive that used to be plugged in to an old PC that only read it as being 2TB, now it's on a newer computer, but it will still not show as 4TB, it doesn't let me resize/expand it in Disk Management, I deleted all the partitions in it, but it shows as...
  4. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  5. All my hard drive files are on my desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All my hard drive files are on my desktop: I have two drives, an HDD and an SSD, with my SSD being my booting drive. I was running out of space on my desktop so I decided to move my desktop location to my HDD. For some reason this caused all my HDD files to move to the desktop, not shortcuts, complete files. Can...
  6. How to view all files in hidden hard drive partitions?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to view all files in hidden hard drive partitions?: So, I've been looking for the files in the SYSTEM and WinRE_DRV partitions of disk 0, but whenever I assign drive letters and i try to open the drive, it says, "access to SYSTEM has been denied." To gain permissions, use the security tab. However, there is no security tab in...
  7. HARD DRIVES NOT APPEARING

HARD DRIVES NOT APPEARING: So I had to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop. Now my hard drives are not appearing except for my C drive. I tried using "Create and format hard disk partitions" tool but the unallocated space would not appear. I checked the BIOS and all three hard drives are visible. Any...
  8. Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item)

Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item): [ATTACH] So I normally have my settings so that I am able to see Hidden Items in my file explorer, and recently I just noticed this weird file that is a hiden file and was created on May 5th....
  9. some hidden files that takes up space on my hard drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    some hidden files that takes up space on my hard drive?: i have a weird problem. i had 181 gb of free space on one of my partitions on a hard drive but now it says i only have 157 gb of free space. i have downloaded files from google drive and with my bittorrent-klient but those files i saved on another drive. i was thinking that...
  10. Install Windows 10 on a 4TB hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Windows 10 on a 4TB hard drive: Windows 10 went into total meltdown (again). When copying files from my had drive to an external drive I noticed a lot of I/O errors, so I bought a new hard drive (4TB). Since Windows would not boot I downloaded the latest Windows 10 64-bit iso file and burned it to a DVD....