Windows 10: All files vanished in the process of copying

Discus and support All files vanished in the process of copying in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Desktop PC Windows 10 home 64b. purchased 5 months ago. This has happened 2 times in 3 months: An SD memory card was taken out of a DSLR after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Diano, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Diano Win User

All files vanished in the process of copying

Desktop PC Windows 10 home 64b. purchased 5 months ago.

This has happened 2 times in 3 months:
    An SD memory card was taken out of a DSLR after shooting 30 or 40 photos and inserted into the above said PC for copying the photos. A message showed up saying something like an unexpected error or mistake....
    After this, the whole folder containing 30 or 40 photos vanished from the SD card. Nowhere could I or search find it. The same thing happened twice in about 3 months. Never experienced anything like this before Win 10.

The question:
    How to find the lost folder and files therein?

Thanks.

:)

Diano, Nov 28, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Please help me with this

Desktop files and folders don't vanish for no reason. To get help you need to provide us with something to work with. Any ideas at all?

In the future I suggest making backups so you always have an extra copy of stuff that matters to you.

BulldogXX, Nov 28, 2016
  3. Robocopy is skipping all the files , copying only top level folder structure in Windows 10

This is a bug in Windows 10. The same bug existed in Windows 8. However, Microsoft released a patch to fix it in Windows 8. They didn't carry the fix forward to Windows 10, and they know it.

MovingToPluto, Nov 28, 2016
Thema:

All files vanished in the process of copying

1. All files vanished in the process of copying - Similar Threads - files vanished process

2. Vanishing Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Vanishing Files: HiI have a brand-new, one month old, Dell laptop with Windows 11 Home Single Language OS. Whenever I want to install an app like VLC player, zoom, Adobe reader, HP printer, a new browser, etc. etc., I first download the application file in a folder named "downloads" in a...
  3. Vanishing Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Vanishing Files: HiI have a brand-new, one month old, Dell laptop with Windows 11 Home Single Language OS. Whenever I want to install an app like VLC player, zoom, Adobe reader, HP printer, a new browser, etc. etc., I first download the application file in a folder named "downloads" in a...
  4. Files vanished

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files vanished: I updated to windows 11 a month ago and all was fine, 2 weeks plus ago was when i last used my laptop, all files were still intact by then and i shut it down until today where i turned it on and found 90 percent of my files vanished, they are very important to me as they are...
  5. Files vanished

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files vanished: I updated to windows 11 a month ago and all was fine, 2 weeks plus ago was when i last used my laptop, all files were still intact by then and i shut it down until today where i turned it on and found 90 percent of my files vanished, they are very important to me as they are...
  6. File names vanish and reappear in all folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File names vanish and reappear in all folders: When I open a folder, the each file's name disappears and comes back only after it does it for every file int he folder. This has been happening for a few years on every PC that I have. I built a new one, hoping that it would be resolved. Please advise...
  7. ALL FILES HAVE VANISHED PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Customization
    ALL FILES HAVE VANISHED PLEASE HELP: So I'm sitting here working along business as usual and I go to open a document and imagine my shock when the entire documents folder is empty. My desktop is blank except the recycle bin. EVERY folder in the entire C drive is 'empty'. The first thing I noticed was that my...
  8. Copying and downloading files delayed process.

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying and downloading files delayed process.: I'm having a couple of issues on my Windows 10. First, if I download a relatively huge file (50mb upwards) the last byte gets stuck. Meaning the download indicator is already between 99-100% but its not completing the process immediately. I'll have to wait 15-30 seconds for...
  9. File History Not Copying All Files and Directories

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Not Copying All Files and Directories: I have windows 10 version 1803, and noticed today that the directory structure set up on my external hard drive by File History is different to the directory structure it is supposed to be copying across, in that there are many sub-directories missing. Some of the missing...
  10. All Mail Vanished from all Mail accounts

in Browsers and Email
    All Mail Vanished from all Mail accounts: All mail and calendar events have vanished and will not sync. Seriously, WTF is going on at MS when they can't even make an email client? 26616