Windows 10: All folder backgrounds are black after update

Discus and support All folder backgrounds are black after update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This morning, I installed the latest Windows update, and now, all my folders have black backgrounds. Worse, the text is also black, making it extremely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kris T., Aug 21, 2019.

1. Kris T. Win User

All folder backgrounds are black after update

This morning, I installed the latest Windows update, and now, all my folders have black backgrounds. Worse, the text is also black, making it extremely hard to see what each folder/file is. And no, it's not High Contrast. I use a dark theme, but the folders all had white backgrounds, like normal, until the update. Everything else is fine, like when saving a file, the background is black, but the text for files on there is white.

I wouldn't mind this so much if the text wasn't black for folders, but far as I can tell, there's no way to change it. No, I'm not going to use High Contrast mode, since I think it looks horrible (but hey, at least the text is white). It was bad enough that I had to restart three times after updating to allow me to interact with my desktop (couldn't left or right click on anything except the taskbar).

Here is what I'm getting so you have a better idea -- https://i.imgur.com/JWI9RAi.jpg

Pretty terrible, right? But notice the list on the left has white text. Why is this happening and what do I do to fix it? By the way, using Light Theme doesn't fix this, the background stays black for folders and I'm not a fan of it in any case.

:)

Kris T., Aug 21, 2019

2. Windows 10 Black Background?

Hi,

To help you with your concern, we suggest that you try to follow the steps on how to troubleshoot black screen problems. Check on the links provided below:

Update us on the result.

Marivel Man, Aug 21, 2019
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    Desktop background gone black after a few minutes of use on laptop.

Hello,

Desktop background and taskbar going black could be due to software conflicts.

We would like to know some information to better assist you with your concern:

• What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you get any error messages or error codes?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try to check if the "Show Windows Background" option is turned on. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings in the Start menu.
    • Go to Ease of Access, then on the left side, click
      Other options.
    • Turn on Show Windows Background and check if it works.

We will wait for your reply.

Remon Ont, Aug 21, 2019
  4. All folder backgrounds are black after update

Black Lock screen BACKGROUND

Hi Bill,

Let us know the make and model of your computer.

Let us try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: Try to set the lock screen background to picture and check if the issue persists.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Step 3: Update the Display Adapter drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the Display Adapter and click on
      Update Driver Software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing the lock screen background for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Aug 21, 2019
Thema:

All folder backgrounds are black after update

1. All folder backgrounds are black after update - Similar Threads - folder backgrounds are

2. Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?: Hello, I am currently running Windows 11 on my system the new version 23H2 For about two weeks or so now I have began to notice that when I go into my Download Folder - my Folders have a black box background only on some of them. As you can see by the image below. A few steps...
  3. Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?: Hello, I am currently running Windows 11 on my system the new version 23H2 For about two weeks or so now I have began to notice that when I go into my Download Folder - my Folders have a black box background only on some of them. As you can see by the image below. A few steps...
  4. Background of folders changed to black

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Background of folders changed to black: The background of some of my folders is changed to black. why is this happening and Is there any way to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-of-folders-changed-to-black/07754f7a-43f7-4da0-95d8-ce476b4e8930
  5. Background of folders changed to black

Background of folders changed to black: The background of some of my folders is changed to black. why is this happening and Is there any way to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/background-of-folders-changed-to-black/07754f7a-43f7-4da0-95d8-ce476b4e8930
  6. Black background of folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black background of folders: Hello!Can anybody help me, please?As you can see from the below image, Some of my folder's backgrounds are black:How can I fix it? I restarted many times but it didn't do anything......
  7. Black background of folders

Black background of folders: Hello!Can anybody help me, please?As you can see from the below image, Some of my folder's backgrounds are black:How can I fix it? I restarted many times but it didn't do anything......
  8. Black background of folders

in Windows 10 Customization
  9. Black Background after Windows update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black Background after Windows update: After a windows update, I cannot get my screen saver to function. I'm left with a black screen with only the apps visible. I have checked the "change scren saver" but nothing happens....
  10. Black background after updates.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black background after updates.: Twice I have spent some time to download updates and each time I have ended up with a black background. Why ?? Then I have to spend more time to contact Microsoft to help me get back to the original display. So by getting back my original display have I not got the updates ?...