Windows 10: All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10

Discus and support All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am unable to edit these folders or move or copy anything to or from them, which is obviously a massive inconvenience. I first noticed this yesterday... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeterM89, Feb 20, 2019.

1. PeterM89 Win User

All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10

I am unable to edit these folders or move or copy anything to or from them, which is obviously a massive inconvenience. I first noticed this yesterday but have no idea when it actually started, so I'm hesitant to start doing system restore points. If I try to change it to not read only, it changes back once I re-open the folder properties. I am logged in as an administrator. Most of the existing answers I have looked on this forum have not worked.

I have already tried this -

Go to This PC

right click on C:\ OS drive

select properties

security tab

advanced

at top select change ownership

advanced

find now

select administrator(S)

OK

check box on top "replace owner on subcontainers and objects

click on APPLY on bottom and OK

close out

restart PC

go back to security tab>advanced and make sure the ADMINISTRATORS in the list have FULL CONTROL

Now you should have no problems, if you do, there is one more thing to do.

I tried this step but it still would not change the folder situation. The Administrators was a Full Control

open windows defender>virus and protection settings>scroll down to folder control access and turn OFF and leave OFF. it is useless and causes these types of issues.

With no resolution.

:)

PeterM89, Feb 20, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 20, 2019
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10 ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Feb 20, 2019
  4. All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10

Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Feb 20, 2019
Thema:

All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10

1. All folders are stuck in Read Only on C Drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - folders are stuck

2. Folders stuck on Read Only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders stuck on Read Only.: So I recently downloaded a game to play, and added mods for a better experience. However upon running the game, none of the mods worked. After some digging I found out it's due to the folders constantly reverting back to "read only". I've attempted to follow a couple of...
  3. Folders stuck on Read Only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folders stuck on Read Only.: So I recently downloaded a game to play, and added mods for a better experience. However upon running the game, none of the mods worked. After some digging I found out it's due to the folders constantly reverting back to "read only". I've attempted to follow a couple of...
  4. Folders stuck on Read Only.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. folder stuck in Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folder stuck in Read Only: i've tried everything the internet has to offer to get this folder off of "Read Only" and it always reverts back to it. i'm about to put my fist through the monitor. i've tried everything like this,this, this, this, this, and this. any help is appreciated....
  6. all folders stuck as Read only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all folders stuck as Read only: i have full permision on my drives and folders but when u unfill the box that sets it to read only and open it again, it is filled in again. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-stuck-as-read-only/721bec54-5f29-43c8-9559-6f2a2065ea12
  7. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  8. Read only folders on all disc drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read only folders on all disc drives: Hello, past few days I am experiencing very bad situation with computer. I read many posts but I still do not get things working as they should so I am hoping that I will get some answers here. I am guessing that with latest update windows decided that my folders are...
  9. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. Manually created folders on C drive are read-only

in Windows 10 Support
    Manually created folders on C drive are read-only: I was just creating a folder on my C drive (SSD) when I noticed that the attribute is set to read-only. I've tried clearing the attribute many ways using the link below but to no avail. Right-clicking on the folder does not show the option to Take Ownership. Does anyone know...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. all the folders on my laptop are stuck in read only

2. windows 10 pro folder properties symbolic link