Windows 10: All folders on Win10 VM read-only except for Rockwell software

Discus and support All folders on Win10 VM read-only except for Rockwell software in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Yesterday morning I had no problem. Now, all folders are read-only and return to read-only after un-selecting the attribute. The exception is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PatJDixon_DPAS, Oct 29, 2020.

1. All folders on Win10 VM read-only except for Rockwell software

Yesterday morning I had no problem. Now, all folders are read-only and return to read-only after un-selecting the attribute. The exception is Rockwell software, which can write files to folders.

I have a MacBook Pro running 10.15.7. I have VMWare Fusion with 3 virtual machines; 2 of them Win7 and the one with the problem is Win10. On the Win10 VM I have Rockwell software.

Yesterday I was working at my client’s facility. I had no internet connectivity. I was only connected to a Rockwell switch that is connected to a PLC and other automation devices in a cabinet. During the course of work I was in Rockwell Logix trying to add an E300 relay to the PLC configuration. It asked for the location of RAE300.msi. I did not have this file on my machine, so I tried to cancel. The dialog closed, and then re-opened again asking for the location of this file. This happened every time I tried to cancel; it was in an endless loop. This modal dialog prevented me from doing anything else, so I resorted to restarting the Win10 virtual machine. After restart of the VM I was able to continue work in Logix.

I then tried using the Rockwell PlantPax 3.5 process library configuration tool, which is an Excel spreadsheet with some macros. I was unable to upload data from the PLC into the spreadsheet and could not save the spreadsheet file. I then noticed my folders were read only. Every folder on my Win10 VM, including mapped folders to my native MacBook and external media, were read only. I could not save or copy files in Windows Explorer.

At the same time, I am able to use Rockwell software Logix, FactoryTalk ME, Connected Components Workbench, etc to create and save files. It appears as though something in Rockwell has locked the system such that only its software can write.

I tried several solutions:

· Uncheck the read-only property on the folders and apply to all subdirectories

· Rockwell tech note https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/42578/loc/en_US#__highlight

· Microsoft support note https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-the-read-only-or-the-system-attributes-of-fo

· Turned off Windows Defender Firewall

· https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d/bef2e629-bc47-457b-9673-a195af30010e?auth=1

I also used VMWare to revert to a Sept 12 snapshot, and the problem was still occurring in the prior snapshot. That leads me to suspect that something in Rockwell set something in VMWare fusion to take control of all folders on this VM.

The problem does not exist on my other 2 Win7 VMs or on the native MacBook folders.

:)

PatJDixon_DPAS, Oct 29, 2020

2. rockwell automation

Hi,

Regarding your issue with Rockwell automation software, we highly suggest to contact the Rockwell automation support.

Feel free to post back if you have another concern.

Phillip Pio, Oct 29, 2020
  3. jackhunt1 Win User
    rockwell automation

I'm having issue with my Rockwell automation software running properly or giving me error codes any help would be greatly appreciated

jackhunt1, Oct 29, 2020
  4. All folders on Win10 VM read-only except for Rockwell software

Win10 Nov updates one VM and not the other

I have two VMs running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

• One was upgraded to public Win10 from 8.1 - call this one Host A
    • One was upgraded to public Win10 from Win 10 Insider Build using the public ISO - call this one Host B
    Fired up Host A the other day and the November Win 10 Pro update was there and then spent the rest of the evening doing its thing...eventually finished and is all now happy running the latest update.

So logic suggests that when I fire up Host B, the same update process should kick off and a few hours later
    Host B is running the November Win 10 Pro update as well.

But...this was not the case...the November Win 10 Pro update does not appear on the list of updates to be installed on
    Host B. Left the VM running overnight in case it would try later....but nothing. "Check for updates" does show the update.

"Defer Upgrades" is not checked, updates are set to "Automatic (recommended)", and "View Update History" just shows Windows Defender updates.

So bit at a loss to understand why the November update is not showing up for
    Host B!

So if anyone has a suggestion how I can get the November update on Host B, please let me know?

Thanks

Peter

PeterEvans1959, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

All folders on Win10 VM read-only except for Rockwell software

1. All folders on Win10 VM read-only except for Rockwell software - Similar Threads - folders Win10 read

2. All my folders are read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders are read only: Everytime I try to uncheck the folders they go back to read onlyto clarify a few thingsI am the admin of the computerI already did the SFC scan and nothing came outWindows defender folder control access is offhappens in more than one hard driveI tried several things online...
  3. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  4. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  5. all folders stuck as Read only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all folders stuck as Read only: i have full permision on my drives and folders but when u unfill the box that sets it to read only and open it again, it is filled in again. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-stuck-as-read-only/721bec54-5f29-43c8-9559-6f2a2065ea12
  6. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  7. Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Fresh Install All Folders Are Read Only: New to Windows 10., pulled the SSD in my PC where I run Windows 7 Home Premium, I installed Windows 10 Home on a new 500GB SSD in its place. I am able to install software, and installed a Xerox Simplex Combo Scanner which comes with Paperport 14 and several utilities. One of...
  8. All folders are read-only

in Windows 10 Customization
    All folders are read-only: Just today I wanted to change the properties of one file in my music folder, but was unable to. After some digging around I found out that the folder it was in was a read-only folder, upon trying to uncheck the box, then closing it, it reverts itself to read-only. I have...
  9. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. all folders are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    all folders are read only: Today I discovered that all my files are read only. I had saved a spreadsheet yesterday, then today I went to open it and it said read only. Then I looked at other files and the read only box was checked. Even when I unchecked it, and closing the property box, when I opened...