Windows 10: All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

Discus and support All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone. As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ls101aa, Jan 4, 2021.

1. ls101aa Win User

All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

Hello everyone.

As the title states, all of my folders throughout windows 10 have set themselves to read only and I am unable to change this back no matter what I try.

This is the first time I have wanted to edit something a set of photo's since before Christmas and now I find I have an issue.

Since finding the issue on my pictures folder, I checked and found the same issue on all of my other folders and similarly I cannot change anything back from read only.

I have tried taking full ownership, I am already a user with full administrator control - no change.

I have tried deleting out any programs installed in the last few days - samsung smart switch and latest windows security updates - no change.

I have deleted long dead un-used programs - no change.

I have run malwarebytes, found one cookie it didn't like, deleted that - no change.

I have run Spybot Search and Destroy - no change.

I have rebooted my pc several times - no change.

I have cleared any unnecessary files using ccleaner - no change.

I am pretty sure by now that this is a windows issue but I really don't know, hence my asking here.

I have already tried all of the suggestions re:
    Make sure you are logged in as an Administrator
    Change the permission of the drive - this does not work because a lot of files are system owned and you cannot take ownership of everything anyway.
    The only antivirus I have is windows Microsoft Defender and the windows firewall is always turned on.

Edition: Windows 10 home

Version: 20H2

Installed on: 18-11-2018

OS Build: 19042.685

Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

64bit.

Please help.

:)

ls101aa, Jan 4, 2021

2. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 4, 2021
  3. psbecker Win User
    Change Folder Icon in Windows 10

I just acquired a new laptop running Windows 10 and am trying to change the icons of the folders in the StartUp "Program" folder so that they would stand out a little better. I used my admin account and followed all the steps listed above, but when I clicked on "Apply", nothing happened. The same basic windows folder icon remained attached to the folder. I also tried to go into Properties and capitalize some of the folder names, but that didn't work either. Looks like something is protecting them, but I cannot figure out what it is much less how to get around this blockage, Any suggestions?

psbecker, Jan 4, 2021
  4. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

Cant change the folder from read only

Hello Kat,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Before proceeding any further, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    • What are the relevant error messages when you say 'it wont let me'?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to following steps and check if it helps:

To take ownership of a file or folder, follow these steps:

• Press and hold the folder that you want to take ownership of, then tap
      Properties
      . (If you are using a mouse, right-click the folder, and then click
      Properties.)
    • Tap or click the Security tab, tap or click Advanced, then tap or click
      Change. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    • Type the name of the person that you want to give ownership to, and then click
      Check Names.
      Note The account name for the person that you are assigning ownership to is displayed.
    • Click OK.
    • If you want this person to be the owner of the files and subfolders that are contained in this folder, select the
      Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    • Click OK.
    Reference:"Access Denied" or other errors when accessing or working
    with files and folders in Windows

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to File/folder permissions in Windows, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed

1. All Folders Read Only - Cannot Be Changed - Similar Threads - Folders Read Cannot

2. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.: I am an admin and only user of my PC Win 10 10.0.19045 Build 19045I tried to remove the Read Only attribute of the Download folder or Program Files folder and none would work. It would always revert back to Read-Only. For that reason, I am unable to install a software.I have...
  3. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.: I am an admin and only user of my PC Win 10 10.0.19045 Build 19045I tried to remove the Read Only attribute of the Download folder or Program Files folder and none would work. It would always revert back to Read-Only. For that reason, I am unable to install a software.I have...
  4. Cannot change Read-Only attribute in any folders.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. All Folders are on "read-only" mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Folders are on "read-only" mode.: All Windows 10,11, Server 2019.. folders are on read only mode. All Systems in our office. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-are-on-read-only-mode/df794a53-a5e3-46de-a174-765d2571515e
  6. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  7. Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.

Cannot change "Read Only" folder attribute.: I need to know how to fix the issue. The issue is "How do you change the folder's attributes so that it will no longer be "Read Only". I've gone into my PowerShell (Admin) and did the whole "attrib -r +s <drive>:\<folder>" thing -- it didn't work. I need some options....
  8. All folders are read-only

in Windows 10 Customization
    All folders are read-only: Just today I wanted to change the properties of one file in my music folder, but was unable to. After some digging around I found out that the folder it was in was a read-only folder, upon trying to uncheck the box, then closing it, it reverts itself to read-only. I have...
  9. All Folders Read Only

All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. all folders are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    all folders are read only: Today I discovered that all my files are read only. I had saved a spreadsheet yesterday, then today I went to open it and it said read only. Then I looked at other files and the read only box was checked. Even when I unchecked it, and closing the property box, when I opened...