Windows 10: All I want to do is share one file on two computers....

Discus and support All I want to do is share one file on two computers.... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Our checkbook is on my wife's computer. I have installed the same software on my computer (on the same network as hers) and tried to make it see her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Toller, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Toller Win User

All I want to do is share one file on two computers....

Our checkbook is on my wife's computer. I have installed the same software on my computer (on the same network as hers) and tried to make it see her data, but I guess I am senile or something. (40 years ago I was a computer programmer...) Both computers are on W10.

How can I do that? (a link to someplace that explains it in English would be great)

:)

Toller, Nov 27, 2016
  2. RRyanJS67 Win User

Can I Share All Data between Two Computers?

Hi, all, is it possible for me to take all of my files on my Computer 1 and set up an ad hoc (or hopefully LAN, or, better yet, cloud-enabled) network with my Computer 2 to copy all of Computer 1's personal apps and files to Computer 2? I plan on performing
    a factory reset with Computer 2 and bring it back to Windows 8, to upgrade it back to Windows 8.1, then 10. Can I do this all? My Computer 1 has Windows 10, upgraded from Windows 7.

RRyanJS67, Nov 27, 2016
  3. RRyanJS67 Win User
    Can I Share All Data between Two Computers?

Here is my full intenton:

I have about 48 GB of Hard Disk space occupied with who-knows-what and apps/files of my own on Computer 2. I also have a recovery partition (on a different drive) that came with the computer when I first received it. I had to do a previous reset of the computer,
    but my personal files and Win10 weren't harmed, but my apps weren't so lucky. Otherwise, I'd have had so much less data available. My first question: Will a factory reset delete the data on the Recovery Drive?

Also, when I first received the computer, a number of apps by HP, its manufacturer, were on it, but in my app-deleting, setting-fixing reset I did a little while before, I lost all of the HP apps. My second question: Will I get those apps back?

I had upgraded, as you know, from Windows 8, then 8.1, to 10. My third question: Can I use the ISO provided by you to jump from Windows 8 over Windows 8.1 to Windows 10? If so, would it be simpler to just clean install Windows 10 by using HP Automatic Repair?

Before I clean install Windows 10, I want to back up my own files (Pictures, Documents, Archives, Apps, etc.) that were not in my computer when I got it. My fourth question: Can I use another computer (maybe with OneDrive, or just by moving the files temporarily)
    to back up said files before my great Factory Reset?

I want to set up a network with one of my other computers to have all of Computer 1's data on Computer 2. My fifth question: If I FR my PC (or not), can I use a cloud service like OneDrive to share everything between the two computers I mentioned, so if
    Computer 1 has anything on it, it would also be on computer 2, or vice versa?

If you have any questions, or are confused by what I said, don't hesitate to mention your case.

RRyanJS67, Nov 27, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

You can always get a network drive and save the file on there. Only problem is to know what this software that you are using. Mint .com is a better way of tracking checking, savings and other accounts. Now days you will really not find many programs that use a static file on a computer for any kind of accounting, unless you had created this one on your own.

bro67, Nov 27, 2016
  5. Samuria Win User
    A simple way would be to use google drive install the drive on all pcs use the same account save the file to the google folder and it will apear on other pc you can run the software from google drive the best bit is its all backed up on the cloud automaticaly

Samuria, Nov 27, 2016
  6. Toller Win User
    I was puzzling over how to use Google drive, when I saw One Drive just sitting there on my file explorer. I have never used it, but it was easy enough to do. Thanks much for the help.

Toller, Nov 27, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    Never trust keeping the only copy on someone else's system. It is fine if you are going to be away from the computers and need to pull something up. Otherwise with stuff like financial information, it should only be kept locally. There is a reason why government agencies and medical Enterprises, do not store live copies out in the wild. If they do store them off sight, it usually done on a Amazon S3 server that they are using for access between sites to save on bandwidth when most satellite locations may only use a T1.

bro67, Nov 27, 2016
  8. Toller Win User

Is this because I don't want anyone seeing my checkbook, or because it might get lost?

Toller, Nov 27, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    It would be that if your legal affairs have to be settled and the login information is not in your Will or Trust, your Estate is screwed in trying to get that info from say Google or Microsoft (Microsoft will not even talk to you unless you are a Enterprise customer. Google wants a legal petition from a judge to release those records on their severs). That is another reason to keep a updated copy of all financial info and pictures that you and your wife wants for when you do go, also on a DVD or USB stick in an bag that is static and magnetic not capable bag with the estate affairs papers and various Living wills and trusts. The login info can be kept in a sealed envelope with security tape, so when they do get the file out to take to the lawyer, it is still sealed until opened to settle the affairs.

I keep a copy of certain items on my iCloud to allow me to access from my laptop and my iPhone. All important stuff is on a local NAS and a backup of that data is on the NAS.

Keeping a secured copy of stuff on my phone and backup to the iCloud, it is easier to me if I have to take care of something for my mom or as I am now, working on updating my legal affairs because of my health.

bro67, Nov 27, 2016
  10. z3r010 Win User
    A shared google or one drive would be fine unless you are a tinfoil hat sort *Wink

z3r010, Nov 27, 2016
  11. Toller Win User
    My wife and son know how to get all my passwords, so that much is covered.

How does ransomware affect One Drive?
    I back up to an external drive that I know will be toast, but also to Idrive. They assure me that even if an bad copy is put on, the previous copy will still be there. But One Drive will just have the one copy.

Toller, Nov 27, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    Has nothing to do with Tin foil. Financial data can be lost if you forget to write down the login credentials for the person handling your estate if something happens to you. That is why it is best to keep it local, not on some third party company that you basically need more lawyers than they have to get the data off of their servers.

bro67, Nov 28, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

Not so much how to get the passwords. Having them written down makes sure that during an event that you or your wife pass away. The very first thing that a person handling the estate is looking for the folder or papers for that information. I was the only one who knew where my next door neighbor kept her financial passwords and wills. Her own daughters were too shook up from her passing that morning, they did not even know where it was at that moment, since they had to be at the funeral home later that afternoon.

Trust me on this. Login information with the will/trust documents, along with account numbers, addresses for financials, phone numbers, local contact person or office if there is one, same for if you have a pension and who they contact. Makes it a lot easier when things can change in a blink of an eye.

bro67, Nov 28, 2016
  14. Winuser Win User
    I use OneDrive to store the data from my checking program (Moneydance) so that I can use Moneydance from any one of my computers. Just to be safe I have Moneydance set to make backups to a different folder on OneDrive and I have Easus setup to make a weekly backup to a local drive. I don't have any personal info entered so if by chance my OneDrive account was to get hacked it wouldn't do the hacker any good.

Winuser, Nov 29, 2016
  15. Winuser Win User
    I imagine very few people do this but a in the event of my death list is very helpful.

Winuser, Nov 29, 2016
Thema:

1. All I want to do is share one file on two computers.... - Similar Threads - share file computers

2. How do I stop file sharing on between my two windows computers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop file sharing on between my two windows computers: I have a pc and a laptop. I use the laptop for school stuff such as writing essays and whatnot and I use my pc for gaming. Whenever I download a game on my pc it also downloads onto my laptop and whenever I save a file on my laptop it goes to my pc as well. How do I stop this...
  3. Sharing two display with two computers.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Sharing two display with two computers.: Here is my little problem. I got a GTX 1660 and two 27" display connected to my desktop computer via DP. Display #1 is at left, #2 at right. I also use occasionally #1 for my laptop (on left) installed on a docking station via HDMI. When it is the case and that my desktop...
  4. how do I connect two windows 10x64 computer to share media with one computer being the...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I connect two windows 10x64 computer to share media with one computer being the...: I have two Windows 10 x64 computers, 1* that is my media center which has 17 hard drives of music, movies, books, etc. The other one has 15 hard drives of the same type of media. I want to be able to play music, movies, tv from both computers through one computer media...
  5. I have two Windows 10 computers and I want to share files between them

I have two Windows 10 computers and I want to share files between them: Hey guys; I have two Windows 10 computers and I want to share files between them. I have both computers set up to share files, and I have shared folders on both computers. Both computers are on the same network, connected by Ethernet. When I open file explorer on computer...
  6. Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Syncing two computers but I want one computer's settings to overwrite the other's: Hi, I have a surface pro 4 which is my primary computer for work and personal stuff. I need to send it back to Microsoft for replacement (for the screen flicker issue) so I need to go back to using our old laptop while my Surface is in transit. My husband has been using our...
  7. Widows 10 - can not share folders on one of two computers.

Widows 10 - can not share folders on one of two computers.: I have 2 windows 10 computers and can see both on the network but can not access shared files on one computer despite hours of checking permissions, following suggestionms on forums. Help please....
  8. Shared Folders on two computers, only works one way

Shared Folders on two computers, only works one way: I have two computers on my home network (MSHOME), I'll call them 75 and 30 (last octet of the LAN IP). 30 is named NEW-PC and 75 is named HP-PC, 75 has the entire C: drive shared as HP-PC-C and 30 has the entire D: drive shared as New-PC-D. Both are setup the same way,...
  9. Share files on two computer wirelessly

Share files on two computer wirelessly: How do I share files on two computer wirelessly? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/share-files-on-two-computer-wirelessly/ee2de97e-983a-492c-a3ae-803ffe6c6dff"
  10. How do connect two computers in the same house? I want them to share one printer.

How do connect two computers in the same house? I want them to share one printer.: I used to print from either PC through Homegroups. Now that function has gone. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-connect-two-computers-in-the-same-house-i/085e3f56-d394-4e91-8af0-5277d8607bdf