Windows 10: All icons, throughout my system (W10), have gone but description

Discus and support All icons, throughout my system (W10), have gone but description in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Turned my computer back on this morning to find that all my desktop icons, most of the task bar icons and all file icons have gone, however, their... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tommygunn, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Tommygunn Win User

All icons, throughout my system (W10), have gone but description

Turned my computer back on this morning to find that all my desktop icons, most of the task bar icons and all file icons have gone, however, their function remains, as far as I can tell.
    There is other weirdness in that I can right click on the icons but 'properties', for instance, will not work and when I go in 'This PC' weird black bits appear in the menu on the left. Also, when I save to my E: drive, I can actually see my file icons displayed in the 'Save as' box but not when I actually navigate to the drive, only the description below where the icons should be.

The last thing I did before turning the PC off last night was run Super AntiSpyware and Spyware Terminator and then play a bit of Battlefield 1.

The only thing I've done to try and rectify this is do a restore to two days ago but it has had no effect.

What has happened and how can I rectify it?

Thanks,
    Tom.

All icons, throughout my system (W10), have gone but description [​IMG]

:)

Tommygunn, Dec 1, 2017

2. Mass computer icon disappearance

All of my icons, not just desktop, but taskbar and throughout entire computer have disappeared. I have tried system restore and searched for answers, but to no avail. Can anybody help me out?

RGRamsdell, Dec 1, 2017
  3. RolyTK Win User
    After 1709 update all my desktop icons have gone

Wow Dave ,I didn't realise Microsoft would even be allowed to do that without getting permission from me. It has taken me two whole days to get my computer sorted.

I have instigated a copying session.

Thanks for the tip

RolyTK, Dec 1, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Dec 1, 2017
  5. Tommygunn Win User
    Spunk,
    Thanks. Just tried it but it doesn't give me the option to open a command windows.
    Is it Powershell?

Tom.

Tommygunn, Dec 1, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Dear TG:
    here's another potential solution to consider. You can download Sergey Tkachenko's WinAero Tweaker and run it as a portable application without installing it (one-time use is a nice side effect). Under its Tools menu the final item is labeled "Reset Icon Cache." It performs the actions described in the HowToGeek article quite nicely and automatically.
    Hope it helps to fix your issues!
    --Ed--

PS: I've used this tool many times myself and it does the job, and will safely and correctly rebuild your Icon Cache.

EdTittel, Dec 1, 2017
  7. Tommygunn Win User
    Thought I'd create a system restore point before trying Winaero Tweaker and this happened.

Tom.

Tommygunn, Dec 1, 2017
  8. Tommygunn Win User

Nope, tried the Winaero Icon Cache reset and nothing happened apart from the taskbar blinking every time I clicked 'Reset Icon Cache'.

Tom.

Tommygunn, Dec 1, 2017
  9. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Dec 1, 2017
  10. AndreTen Win User
    AndreTen, Dec 1, 2017
  11. Tommygunn Win User
    No luck with option 1 or 2. I've posted in Barman's suggested thread.

Tom.

Tommygunn, Dec 1, 2017
  12. RocketDock has not been updated since 2007 and I wonder, what is the Registry Booster? Either one could be the cause.

TairikuOkami, Dec 1, 2017
  13. Callender Win User

Just a thought but see what is shown here:

Winkey+R then type regedit and press enter

Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons

See what shows up.

Easy way to clear icon cache is Winkey+R then type ie4uinit -show then press Enter.

Callender, Dec 2, 2017
  14. Tommygunn Win User
    Callender,
    This is what I have, I don't know what I'm looking for.

Tom.

Tommygunn, Dec 2, 2017
  15. Tommygunn Win User
    I've just tried the Winkey + R method and like before the only thing it did was make the faulty icons in the taskbar blink but nothing else.

Tom.

Tommygunn, Dec 2, 2017
Thema:

1. All icons, throughout my system (W10), have gone but description - Similar Threads - icons throughout system

2. All icons gone and system apps not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All icons gone and system apps not working: I booted up my pc today and none of the system icons show up desktop, file explorer, anywhere except taskbar. Also apps such ascontrol panel dont work....
  3. All icons gone and system apps not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All icons gone and system apps not working: I booted up my pc today and none of the system icons show up desktop, file explorer, anywhere except taskbar. Also apps such ascontrol panel dont work....
  4. Help!!! All my *Icons* are gone!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help!!! All my *Icons* are gone!: Help! All of my icons are gone after I uninstalled a software called IObit :All icons on my desktop, taskbar and file explorer are just gone.here is what they look like.TaskbarWindows file explorerDesktopI also changed my visual settings for best performance, so everything is...
  5. Application icons are all gone.

Application icons are all gone.: My english is really broke, but i'll still try to explain this. So, suddenly, almost all of my icons are gone, they're just blank. But here's the thing - when i pin whatever app to the taskbar, and then unpin it, it somehow brings app icon back. Here's the example:...
  6. icon description

icon description: my desktop icons no longer have a description. When I go onto internet explorer I see my icons but no descriptions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/icon-description/54993aa5-252e-41ae-a733-39b15ad789e7
  7. ALL taskbar icons are gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ALL taskbar icons are gone: [ATTACH] Ive tried basically everything that the internet has told me, scanned for malware, deleted iconcache.db and restarted, etc etc. https://preview.redd.it/fe4fw9tnkl261.png?width=1919&format=png&auto=webp&s=429d446858f1612def4f809f2de56e6011376307 submitted by...
  8. where have my icons gone to

where have my icons gone to: My icons have disappeared https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-have-my-icons-gone-to/4c38a388-8872-474f-ac9b-6efbe8bcd64a
  9. System Icons Description is not visible.

System Icons Description is not visible.: [img] When I mouse over to the system icons, they usually show the description of the system icons. For example, when I mouse over to the Wi-Fi icon, the connected wifi name would pop-up in a description box. or if I mouse over to the speaker, it would show 'sound'...
  10. All icons are gone (everywhere)

in Windows 10 Support
    All icons are gone (everywhere): Hi, something really weird happened after I restarted my computer. The icons in my desktop, folders, etc (everywhere) are gone. (see the pictures) [img] [img] I rebooted a bunch of times and even did a system restore but it's still not displaying any of the icons....