Windows 10: All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder"

Discus and support All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Help! All of my image files are listed as File Type "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder!" They are all doing this, but let's use the most important... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmbw, Jun 9, 2020.

1. mmbw Win User

All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder"

Help! All of my image files are listed as File Type "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder!"

They are all doing this, but let's use the most important file type for me, JPG, as an example. The default program is set to "Photos," and, when I double click on a JPG file, it opens in Photos, exactly as it should. But in the file listing, every .JPG file is listed as type "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder" instead of the expected 'jpg file.'

Because the file type is incorrect (not "JPG file"), I don't get the correct contextual menu when I right click on an image file. That means I can't open "properties" to view or edit the fields I need, like the tags and comments, and I need to!

I saw a thread here from a person that posted the same problem back in 2018, but neither the cause of the problem, nor the solution he came up with. apply to me.

So I'm stumped! Can anyone help?

Windows version: 1903 Build: 18362.836

:)

mmbw, Jun 9, 2020
  2. FrankS Win User

Unhandled Extension Handler Finder?

Yup, I already did that in 'Choose default applications by type'.
    JPG, PNG & TIF are set to Windows Photo Viewer but beneath item in the list of file types Windows lists their default application.
    For example .PDF has a description of Adobe Acrobat Document followed by the application - in that case it is of course Adobe Acrobat Reader.
    However, .PNG (& other common graphic files) is described as Unhandled Extension Handler Finder followed by the application Windows Photos Viewer.
    I can readily change the default application but it makes no difference to the description/type: Unhandled Extension Handler Finder

FrankS, Jun 9, 2020
  3. FrankS Win User

OK, well the cause of this problem is due to the attempt to restore the sadly missed 'Windows Photo Viewer'. The procedure as outlined in TenForums tutorial: 'Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10' causes image file types to be listed as 'Unhandled Extension Handler Finder.
    It's a damn shame because I much prefer 'Photo Viewer' over 'Photos'.
    If there's another method of restoring 'Photo Viewer' without the file type problem I'd be happy to hear it.
    Thanks folks.

FrankS, Jun 9, 2020
  4. everway9 Win User

You superstar! Thanks for posting this explanation. Very helpful indeed. All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder" :)

everway9, Jun 9, 2020
Thema:

1. All image files are of type "unhandled extension handler finder" - Similar Threads - image files are

2. Duplicate file finder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicate file finder: Does anybody have any recommendations? I would like to clean up my PC; it has many duplicates as a result of crashes and restores. Thanks in advance! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-file-finder/6bc56620-8dd7-4854-8786-58d4acde6cf9
  3. File Type extension Problem

File Type extension Problem: My files ,videos, music are affected by an extension type called .47lful55V all files and cant open any of the files and cant use. I have tried several methods to fix this but none of them give hands please help me to fix this issue I cant us any apps files videos music...
  4. All JPG files are marked "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder"

All JPG files are marked "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder": Help! All of my .JPG files are classified as file type "Unhandled Extension Handler Finder" and I can't figure out how to fix it! Previews work, and the files open with Photos as they should, so setting the default program is not an issue. However, because the file...
  5. Need reco: Good duplicate Image or File finder, Remover

in Windows 10 Support
    Need reco: Good duplicate Image or File finder, Remover: Gang I’m going through someone else’s junk pile while migrating from old windows and laptop to new. With her permission I’m going to dump duplicate files, especially pictures. Lots are in triplicate as best I can tell. what app or package is good circa 2020? i will be...
  6. File extension relation to file type

File extension relation to file type: How does Windows know that a .txt is a text file, or a .py is a python file? I made this file extension called .pmry, and want Windows to know it is a Hello file, but it says it's a PMRY file. How do I make Windows know it is a Hello file?...
  7. File Extension and file type

File Extension and file type: Recently I came to know the in some directories, all my file type and extension are changed to CAAVME File (.caavme). When I open, its not opening. There is a file in every directory with the name "CAAVME-DECRYPT" and it contents: ---= GANDCRAB V5.0.4 =---...
  8. Unhandled Extension Handler Finder?

in Windows 10 Support
    Unhandled Extension Handler Finder?: Hi I noticed an oddity in File Explorer in that all my image files (JPG, TIF) are labelled under Type as 'Unhandled Extension Handler Finder'. Now first off it doesn't appear to be causing a problem - I can 'Open with' various image viewers & graphics software perfectly fine...
  9. Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reg File for Custom File Type Handler Program: Suppose instead of the default reg settings for, say, pdf files, one wants a reg file to set up a custom program handler. For instance, Sumatra. One would like Sumatra to handle pdf files. When one double-clicks on a pdf file, Sumatra loads and shows the pdf file. How...
  10. Duplicate Image file finder...need one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Duplicate Image file finder...need one: Can any member suggest a free duplicate image file finder ...i have tried a few ..the programs find them but you have buy a license for similar images to be deleted and some are too fiddly to use. Thankyou 96184