Windows 10: all-in-one USB boot drive

Discus and support all-in-one USB boot drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi. I've been in IT support for 15 years and I always hated the amount of different cd/dvd/usb I had to carry with myself, so I was thinking why not to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by skydecboot, Jun 18, 2020.

1. all-in-one USB boot drive

Hi. I've been in IT support for 15 years and I always hated the amount of different cd/dvd/usb I had to carry with myself, so I was thinking why not to combine them into one drive and have everything on it -
    1. windows installations with drivers and programs (UEFI and BIOS )
    2. live windows os (xp, 7, 10) with programs
    3. live linux
    4. dos utilites
    Over the years the project has grown but with testing I decided to limit it to 32gb since even some newer machines can not boot from usb drive larger than 32gb ( most HP laptops have that problem).

download links google drive :
    z01: _win10x86x64en2004-20200617.7z.001 - Google Drive
    z02: _win10x86x64en2004-20200617.7z.002 - Google Drive

Install procedure :
    unpack with 7z use usbit to burn the image on at least 32gb usb drive and that should be it

WINDOWS INSTALLATION
    It has x86 and x64 versions of en-us windows 10 2004. Installations are controled by several scripts. Autounatended file in root and setupcomplete in windows/setup/scripts folder, oobe script for themes. In fully automated version you just have to select the partitions in installation and after that scripts will do the rest. They will install .net3.5, vc++ 2005-2019, office, windows updates and other programs. SAD3 script will install drivers.

LIVE WINDOWS
    DLC1 x86, DLC1 x64, and my own live os based on win10x64 2004.
    DLC1 os are older live os but they are small and reliable. BIOS boot has added options to boot gandalf, strelec, medicat, kyhi, hirens, boboms live os but they are not on the drive but can be added by user.
    skydec10 - I only used it for few hours - so not tested - everything looked fine but could have bugs
    programs are loaded from old hirens menu which is now updated with new programs and newer version of them. I chose this way of implementation because it allow me to load the programs from all of the live oses and from the installed os as well.
    AV programs: ClamWin Malwarebytes SuperAntiSpyware and RogueKiller are updated to 20200615 definitions
    Hardware info tools are also mostly uptodate like cpu-z, gup-z, speccy, hwinfo.
    Some new categories are VGA category with bios flashers and bios editing tools, testing/hwbot category with hwbot benchmarks

DOS utilities have most of the old hirens, dlc1 and ubcd programs linked with the option to link strelec programs if you add them to the drive.

I've been using it for several years and it have proven to be a lot better solution to having 10 cd/dvd/usb each for one thing. It is created in a way to be easy to update once you create the drive, just copy newer versions of files to ther location. No need to change scripts or update wim-s.
    I'll try to explain it into details, just keep in mind this is very big and I'll need time to write everything down.
    I'm not sure weather people will like or accept this concept of aio-boot-drive but I think it's worth to share it.

:)

skydecboot, Jun 18, 2020
  2. panchoman Win User

Boot linux on USB drive

it might just be that your bios doesn't support it, but it should anyway.

make sure you go into the bios and make sure "boot other device" is enabled and try seeing if the usb is listed as an hdd.. as bootable flash drives are usually picked up as usb hdd's and check if your bios detects the flash drive.

panchoman, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

all-in-one USB boot drive nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Jun 18, 2020
  4. D-rock Win User

all-in-one USB boot drive

Help with USB Boot Image

I am trying to boot from my USB flash drive. I followed the instructions step for step that are in the article on this website. I downloaded the HP program and the USB Image zip file. I ran the HP flash program and pointed it to the folder where I unzipped the USB Image files to. I then copied all the files over to the USB memory stick as instructed. When I restart my computer and press F12 to go to the boot menu I have 3 options: SATA hard drive, CD-ROM drive, or USB Device. So I choose USB device and when it reads the USB memory stick all I get is the error "Non-system disk, replace and hit any key" Its like the USB memory is missing some system files or it doesnt have the master boot record or something. Somebody please HELP!!! I want to flash the bios in a new video card and I have to boot to DOS and I dont have a floppy drive and I have Win XP so a USB boot is probably the best option I have.

D-rock, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

all-in-one USB boot drive

1. all-in-one USB boot drive - Similar Threads - USB boot drive

2. How to boot to USB drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to boot to USB drive?: I made a bootable USB drive using Rufus, but can’t find how to boot to it. I’m using a Mac using boot camp, so I don’t have access to the BIOS and when I go to advance startup options and then use USB, the bootable drive I made isn’t listed. I know it’s possible, because I...
  3. Disable USB drive boot

Disable USB drive boot: Hi. Can you tell me please how can I disable booting from USB flash drive bootable after restarting the PC with the shift key pressed, without disabling the usb ports in the bios?...
  4. Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot and a all other info on one drive but system into on another?: I recently tried to switching out cases once again and that process meant going to a smaller motherboard and dropping the hard drive and just using my second SSD for all extra stuff. After a couple hours of swapping and prepping I had the whole system together and ready to go...
  5. Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!: The following is a copy of a usb booting issue when I started using Windows 10 in 2017. I use Casper 10 to create my bootable backup copies of the primary drive. In the event the primary crashes (which happens often due to the experiments I may be conducting), I can boot to...
  6. Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Usb drive not booting AGAIN!!: The following is a copy of a usb booting issue when I started using Windows 10 in 2017. I use Casper 10 to create my bootable backup copies of the primary drive. In the event the primary crashes (which happens often due to the experiments I may be conducting), I can boot to...
  7. which one should i choose to boot my usb drive

which one should i choose to boot my usb drive: Hi I’m trying to upgrade my win10 32bit into win10 64bit, it’s based on 64 processor and the win was activated. I’ve downloading the tool into my 16GB flash drive. The only problem I have is the boot menu. These are the choices on the boot menu(From top to Bottom): LS120,...
  8. Booting from USB Drive

Booting from USB Drive: When i boot up my computer i go to the boot menu and i try booting from my usb drive it doesn't work. My computer just ignores it and normally launches as if nothing happened. Could anyone help? Thank you...
  9. create shortcut to remove all connected USB drives in one click

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    create shortcut to remove all connected USB drives in one click: Good Day All just wondering if there is a way to create a desktop shortcut that would shut down make safe to remove all connected USB type hard drives rather than doing it one by one via the lower right corner Many Thanks in ADV 55089
  10. All in one USB Stick

All in one USB Stick: Hi, Is there anyway to create a all in one install USB stick using the media creation tool. I have 2 pc's running windows 10 Pro and a laptop running windows 10 Home . It just saves me having to have 2 separate install USB Sticks. I have seen torrents available but I'd...