Windows 10: All links to programs lost - started with clean slate?

Discus and support All links to programs lost - started with clean slate? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I booted my computer up, it told me I had to log out. When it came back up and I logged in it was as if I started WIndows with a new slate -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SKPUser, Oct 10, 2020.

1. SKPUser Win User

All links to programs lost - started with clean slate?

When I booted my computer up, it told me I had to log out. When it came back up and I logged in it was as if I started WIndows with a new slate - nothing was loaded or set up? My data is still out there on the hard drive, so that is not an issue. But, all programs were like brand new and not linked to the data. Why would it lose all my programs and settings?

All progams are like I just loaded them from scratch and nothing has been set up. It's almost like it thinks it is a complete new machine. If I go to the system restore, it has nothing to restore.

I am running on a MAC using bootcamp. I am not sure if an update would do this or what would cause it to just start over. Could it be a virus?

Has anyone else experienced this?

:)

SKPUser, Oct 10, 2020
  2. DrPepper Win User

Best way to keep vista clean and healthy

Yeah just caught it there.

I'm going to attempt to have a step by step guide on how to use these programs efficiently.

DrPepper, Oct 10, 2020
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done All links to programs lost - started with clean slate? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Oct 10, 2020
  4. DonGirvin Win User

LOST WINDOWS 10 START MENU

After trying all suggested fixes, I finally was forced to use Windows Recovery under Settings to reload the full system. I lost all non-Microsoft applications but recovered the start menu. Though this was a painful, no other suggestions worked.

Windows created an HTML file listing all programs that was deleted and that was very helpful for reinstalling mt lost programs.

Thanks to everyone for their effort, perhaps Microsoft will discover the root cause of so many who are losing the Start menu and can prevent it in the future.

DonGirvin, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

1. All links to programs lost - started with clean slate? - Similar Threads - links programs lost

2. how to undo a clean boot slate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to undo a clean boot slate: i started my pc in a clean boot slate to see why some of my games aren’t showing the cursor when full screened, but when i attempted to login, i was met with a screen that says “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.” Does anyone know...
  3. how to undo a clean boot slate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to undo a clean boot slate: i started my pc in a clean boot slate to see why some of my games aren’t showing the cursor when full screened, but when i attempted to login, i was met with a screen that says “Something happened and your PIN isn’t available. Click to set up your PIN again.” Does anyone know...
  4. Is there a way to give laptop a clean slate without formatting?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is there a way to give laptop a clean slate without formatting?: I'm giving a laptop away to someone else. I can't format it because I lack the skills and afraid I'll mess things up beyond repair, and I can't find anyone close to do it within the next few days.These are what I'm trying to achieve:1. Keep Windows 10 and its default programs...
  5. Lost all system shortcut links

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lost all system shortcut links: Dear Microsoft team, Could you help me figure out how to fix the system links as below image? I don't know how to describe it clearly and when it occurred due to system crashed or 3rd software parties. [ATTACH] Thanks, Nga Tran...
  6. How do I remove all messages on Messenger Windows 10 to start again with a clean slate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove all messages on Messenger Windows 10 to start again with a clean slate: I have had Messenger installed for some time and I would like to remove all the messages to start with a clean slate. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-all-messages-on-messenger-windows/3a459a8d-fd05-4e47-bd55-50b3cae69334
  7. Using "clean slate" drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using "clean slate" drivers: Hello, I have an old computer that used to have a failing hard drive. I managed to copy mostly everything over to a new one, but when I tried to use the newer hard drive, it acted as though the drivers were corrupt.. Is there a way that I can revert back to the most default...
  8. lost programs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    lost programs: I recently downloaded windows 10. how do I recover lost photoshop elements 15? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-programs/c70c9bc4-7ff3-4756-9fbd-26ce186161de
  9. Once installed - all desktop shortcuts gone - have a clean slate

in Windows 10 Support
    Once installed - all desktop shortcuts gone - have a clean slate: I tried to install windows 10 - it seemed to work but then all my desktop shortcuts were gone and I couldn't access anything - unless I searched one by one each file....what have I done wrong and why is everything gone ?? I need all my information and couldn't access so I...
  10. Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button/Start Menu/All Programs: Customization of the Start Menu (no tiles please) equals speed! As you can see I am using the classic theme in Windows 7. We professionals and powers users can customize the Start Menu in such a way that we can access the most important areas, features, commands etc. of...