Windows 10: All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use

Discus and support All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, all, I found many similar problems, but mine has a strange specificity that leads me to think it's something different, so here it goes. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LyanPorto, Jan 28, 2019.

1. LyanPorto Win User

All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use

Hi, all,

I found many similar problems, but mine has a strange specificity that leads me to think it's something different, so here it goes.

When I boot up my computer everything is normal and working perfectly. Then, at seemingly random moments, the mouse and keyboard (Dell WK 636p mouse + keyboard combo on a single USB receiver) simply stop working. You hear the "USB removed" sound play, as if I had removed the dongle, but I haven't. I tried removing it and inserting it again, in the same and different ports, but nothing gets it to work again. The computer is dead to this device. I have to hold down the power button and reset my computer completely to be able to interact with it again, which is obviously not ideal, and has led me to lose tons of work when this happened when I hadn't saved recently.

I assumed it was something wrong with the mouse and keyboard pair, so I started having a backup Bluetooth designer mouse by Microsoft also paired, so when this happened I could at least save and reset the computer without losing my work. But then, it only works for a second or two and it also stops responding, so it's certainly not (just) my Dell set. The MS mouse works fine on my laptop and the Dell set never presented any problems with my previous desktop. Also, given that you hear as if the dongle had been removed and the bluetooth mouse also stops working leads me to think that there is something wrong with the way my install of Windows is dealing with mice (and keyboards?).

The worst part is how random it is. Sometimes I use it for hours and it never happens, sometimes after 5 minutes it locks me out of my computer completely.

I'm more than happy to run and provide diagnostics or any other information you need. One thing that might be of note (though it doesn't seem to explain why this happens only with the mouse and keyboard and not any of the several other USB devices I use), is that this computer was purchased in Germany and I use it in Brazil. I use a small transformer to make up for the difference between the 110V Brazil outlets output and the 220V German devices expect. It works absolutely fine other than this.

Thanks in advance and hope you guys can help me out.

Best,

Lyan

:)

LyanPorto, Jan 28, 2019

2. No USB mice or keyboards working

I have an issue with USB mice and keyboards connecting to my new Lenovo P51, running Windows 10

The issue started when my USB keyboard (Microsoft Sculpt) started perpetually pressing a 'p' key. This has happened before, but usually stops quickly. To identify the fault, I unplugged the USB receiver from docking station base USB port where it was connected.

Following this, NO USB mice or keyboards will work!

1. All devices show up as 'Other devices' in Device Management. And when you try and update the driver, I get told that Windows could not find the driver for the device.

2. If you attempt to select the driver from the list, no 2.4Ghz drivers are shown as available.

3. I've used a commercial driver utility to do an automatic update (Driver Easy)

4. I've uninstalled USB controllers, rebooted, and let Windows install them

5. I've done numerous hard reboots, including complete power down with battery out

6. I've manually replaced several usb-related INF files in the c:\windowss\inf folder as well (including usb.inf)

However...still no go. All keyboards or mice just end up in 'other devices' and won't work. I've run out of ideas short of a Windows reinstall. Or am I missing something? One other thing I considered was a USB power issue...but my portable usb hdd still
    works (with lights on).

comments appreciated.

GordonH_98, Jan 28, 2019
  3. Mouse/Keyboard work in BIOS, they do not work once computer boots

I have been using computers for over 25 years now, and I have never run across a problem like this. Backstory: I built my current PC about a year ago. Everything worked perfectly until about 5 days ago. At that point, it needed to restart. I restarted it, and upon boot neither the mouse or keyboard would respond. I tried a different mouse and keyboard, they did not work either. I tried both of the mice and keyboards with another PC, and they worked fine. This absolutely rules out the problem being the inputs.Then, I noticed that the mouse and keyboard do work in BIOS. However, after exiting BIOS and booting, they stop responding altogether. I have gone into system recovery countless times and tried literally every recovery option listed, to no avail. Any suggestions to help would be GREATLY appreciated. For the past 5 days I have literally had a $3000 paperweight.

JamesKBoyd, Jan 28, 2019
  4. All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use

Wireless keyboard and mice don't work in Windows 10

This did not work I try it and I believe it is to late for me to take it back. I do not need a new keyboard or mice just the USB thing but I am guessing that each USB only works for that one Keyboard and mice so I would need it all new.

cc12121111, Jan 28, 2019
Thema:

All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use

1. All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use - Similar Threads - mice keyboard stop

2. Keyboard stops working on all browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard stops working on all browsers: I am running Windows 11 and had a bluetooth/2.4 Ghz wireless keyboard. It would work when typing in Windows Word, search bar, etc., but when I went into a browser it stopped typing. I mainly use Chrome, but tried Edge and no luck there either. I disabled bluetooth and tried...
  3. Keyboard stops working on all browsers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard stops working on all browsers: I am running Windows 11 and had a bluetooth/2.4 Ghz wireless keyboard. It would work when typing in Windows Word, search bar, etc., but when I went into a browser it stopped typing. I mainly use Chrome, but tried Edge and no luck there either. I disabled bluetooth and tried...
  4. Two sets of wireless keyboard and mice stopped working with laptop they worked with for...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two sets of wireless keyboard and mice stopped working with laptop they worked with for...: I have a Microsoft Sculpt wireless keyboard and mouse that I connect via USB. After over a year with not one issue, the mouse started acting erratically and the keyboard was responding slowly or not at all. Changed batteries twice. Changed USB ports. Tried on another computer...
  5. Two sets of wireless keyboard and mice stopped working with laptop they worked with for...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two sets of wireless keyboard and mice stopped working with laptop they worked with for...: I have a Microsoft Sculpt wireless keyboard and mouse that I connect via USB. After over a year with not one issue, the mouse started acting erratically and the keyboard was responding slowly or not at all. Changed batteries twice. Changed USB ports. Tried on another computer...
  6. Two sets of wireless keyboard and mice stopped working with laptop they worked with for...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. defective keyboards and mice

defective keyboards and mice: We have multiple wireless keyboards/mice that have mismatched dongles for the keyboards/mice like there was a bad lot of them we are a business with a lot of them that do not work. How can we get them replaced I am not able to open a case to get them addressed or swapped out....
  8. keyboard suddenly stops working mid game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard suddenly stops working mid game: hi there everyone its been about 5 days that suddenly in mid game my keyboard stops working tried everything and still have the issue sfcscan, reinstall drivers, ..... hope someone can help me solve this issue...
  9. Mice constantly stop working

Mice constantly stop working: Hi, since like half a year now I'm experiencing the following problem on my T580 laptop Windows 10 - always latest version - currently 19042.685: I can use bluetooth and USB mice for hours without problems until they suddenly in the middle of a task stop working. I usually...
  10. Keyboard and mice stopped working after the recent update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard and mice stopped working after the recent update: Title. My keyboard and mice stopped working once I restarted the pc. The lights turns on the keyboard and mouse but won’t register anything, please help. submitted by /u/azndkflush [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. All mice and keyboard stop working mid-use Microsoft