Windows 10: All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20

Discus and support All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I had not used my 2d laptop for a couple of months so there were a lot of Windows 10 updates waiting. I updated it last night and signed off. This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by graciek, Jul 12, 2020.

1. graciek Win User

All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20

I had not used my 2d laptop for a couple of months so there were a lot of Windows 10 updates waiting. I updated it last night and signed off.

This morning, when I turned it on, it did some BIOS updates outside of my control, I assume associated with the Windows update since I had been told during the update that some BIOS changes would occur. Now it will boot but none of the desktop icons or apps are responsive. The Windows R command won't work. No command will work. In fact, about half the time I can't get past the PIN screen to even get to my desktop. I've done the hard turn off, reboot 3 times thing where it takes me to the Troubleshot/Reset/Restore/Command Prompt, etc screens. I've entered my recovery key so many times I practically have it memorized. I've tried to do a safe boot with and without internet.

Every one of the possible choices in the Advanced part of the Troubleshooting requires my Microsoft password. But when I try to sign into my Microsoft account, it always tells me it's the wrong password. This isn't true since it works on my other laptop, which I'm currently using. It's definitely the right password. It's been suggested on one of the many websites I've consulted that it's looking for my administrator password. I have no idea what that is and will the same administrator password work on 2 different computers?

I try not to freak when Windows updates screws up my computer, but it almost does in some way. Usually it just deletes one of my graphics drivers, which is a pain but I can fix it. With what's going on with my 2d laptop, it just can't be done. I'd settle for resetting it and reloading all my apps and work, but then it'll do the update to get current and there we go again. I can't restore it because the same thing would happen. If I wipe the drive and start all over, the same thing will happen.

Can you help?

:)

graciek, Jul 12, 2020
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Jul 12, 2020
  3. Custom Windows 7 Icon Pack By LiveOrDie

***Updated***
    Added Control Panel icons, updated and added more icons

These icons i based off windows 7 gadgets icon, hours of photoshop work went into them

pack is in a DLL to by pass a windows 7 bug that was never fixed

Installing Instructions
    Unzip
    Right click on the desktop click Personalization and then click change desktop icons, then select the icon you wish to change then click Change Icon then select the dll file that you downloaded then pick the icon you wish to use.

All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20 [​IMG]

deviantart LINK

Live OR Die, Jul 12, 2020
  4. All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20

Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20

1. All my desktop icons are frozen since Windows 10 update 7-11-20 - Similar Threads - desktop icons are

2. Desktop does not update refresh automatically since Windows 7 until Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop does not update refresh automatically since Windows 7 until Windows 11: This is a rant here. This problem has persisted since Windows 7 and reached Windows 11 without a fix. I have been using Windows for 30 years and from Windows XP onwards this problem did not exist. I'm tired of this happening so much, that is, you make some changes to files...
  3. Desktop does not update refresh automatically since Windows 7 until Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop does not update refresh automatically since Windows 7 until Windows 11: This is a rant here. This problem has persisted since Windows 7 and reached Windows 11 without a fix. I have been using Windows for 30 years and from Windows XP onwards this problem did not exist. I'm tired of this happening so much, that is, you make some changes to files...
  4. Desktop Not responding or Frozen in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Desktop Not responding or Frozen in Windows 11/10: [IMG]Many Windows users report that their desktops aren’t responding or are frozen in Windows 11/10. If you are also experiencing this problem on your Windows 11/10 device, here’s something you might find useful. This article provides some troubleshooting tips you can follow...
  5. Windows 11 upgrade, will it delete all my desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 upgrade, will it delete all my desktop icons?: Looking at the new Windows 11, it looks like it turns your PC into a tablet. I'm trying to find info on what will happen to my, currently around 100, desktop icons after upgrading? I prefer to do the in-place upgrade rather than a fresh install, but I have many icons for app...
  6. Windows 11 upgrade, will it delete all my desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 upgrade, will it delete all my desktop icons?: Looking at the new Windows 11, it looks like it turns your PC into a tablet. I'm trying to find info on what will happen to my, currently around 100, desktop icons after upgrading? I prefer to do the in-place upgrade rather than a fresh install, but I have many icons for app...
  7. Windows 10, taskbar frozen, icons on desktop still working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10, taskbar frozen, icons on desktop still working: I think this problem occurred after updating Windows to Ver. 20H2 and adding weather forecast icon to the taskbar, for more Information, I have using Dual Monitor....
  8. Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 dead - frozen at desktop without any icons: Hi all, I need some guidance because I ran out of ideas on how to solve the issue I'm facing with. I have a Windows 10 desktop computer that can't boot properly after a BSOD happened a few days ago. Here's what happening and what I've tried already: Windows 10 login...
  9. Since the Spring Update windows 10 keeps moving the "This PC" icon on my desktop

Since the Spring Update windows 10 keeps moving the "This PC" icon on my desktop: Hello Microsoft Support, since the latest Update Windows 10 keeps moving the "This PC" icon by itself. I have a tripple screen setup with a 24'' screen as the main display in the middle and two 19'' screens on the sides. I arranged my desktop icons to have all my programms...
  10. Windows 10 latest update erased all my desktop icon & files

Windows 10 latest update erased all my desktop icon & files: I am unfortunately another victim of Windows 10 latest update and just like several other users...so I learned form the Community chat online. I opened my computer IN HORROR to a totally different Blue screen which required me to to sign in differently. then it told me it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. как заменить imageres dll в windows 10