Windows 10: All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file...

Discus and support All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I try to open my excel or word files it say it's an invalid extension. but these are excel and word files, all the files appear to be kidnapped by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JVNext, Jan 8, 2020.

1. JVNext Win User

All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file...

When I try to open my excel or word files it say it's an invalid extension. but these are excel and word files, all the files appear to be kidnapped by OneDrive and it won't release them to me.

:)

JVNext, Jan 8, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file... [​IMG]

- this list:

All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file... [​IMG]

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 8, 2020
  3. FIles in Word, Excel and other programmes will not open from the explorer

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

Please follow the steps.

Step 1:

Lets try to disable the DDE option following these steps:

• Click the File tab, and then click
      Options.
    • Click Advanced, and then click to clear the
      Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in the
      General area.
    Click OK.

Step 2:

If the issue persists, uncheck the compatibility options by doing the following:

Right click on Excel (.exe) Properties > Compatibility > uncheck all the boxes

To access Excel (.exe), open the following location:

Windows 8 32bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Windows 8 64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

For reference:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/there-was-a-problem-sending-the-command-to-the/56ee1743-b476-43a5-9b00-169b8c6ef37a

Hope the suggestion is helpful. Reply for further assistance.

Joy Kemprai, Jan 8, 2020
  4. All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file...

excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

When I open an excel file by double clicking on the name in windows explorer, the file opens OK but at the same

time, the explorer file list jumps up and down as it lists and de-lists the

excel temp file. It is very distracting. I can close the explorer window or

simply change to another folder. It occurs only on one of my computers and only on some excel files

It happens only with excel files and not with word or acrobat

Any suggestions where to look for the problem. We've reinstalled Office 10 and reset my windows profile. nothing helped so far.

Joel Trussell, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file...

1. All my files are locked and they won't open in excel nor word. it says its the wrong file... - Similar Threads - files are locked

2. Files suddenly won't open in Excel, Word, Adobe in Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Files suddenly won't open in Excel, Word, Adobe in Windows 10: My Files suddenly won't open in Excel, Word, or Adobe PDF's in Windows 10 - why?I'm trying to do some really important and urgent work and I haven't been able to access my files for two days.I'm not an experienced computer operative - I can only use the very basic things as I...
  3. unable to open word and excel files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to open word and excel files: Dear Sir/Madam,unable to open word and excel files* Changed to a question https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-word-and-excel-files/583290d7-8970-4d83-a601-b647866f59db
  4. unable to open word and excel files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    unable to open word and excel files: Dear Sir/Madam,unable to open word and excel files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-word-and-excel-files/583290d7-8970-4d83-a601-b647866f59db
  5. unable to open word and excel files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    unable to open word and excel files: Dear Sir/Madam,unable to open word and excel files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-open-word-and-excel-files/583290d7-8970-4d83-a601-b647866f59db
  6. unable to open word and excel files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Files won't open in Excel, Word, Adobe or in File system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files won't open in Excel, Word, Adobe or in File system: I upgraded a few months ago to Windows 11. I have a 1 year old laptop with Office 2019. I work from home and same my files on external drives and on One Drive or DropBox depending upon the work. Since installing Windows 11, I keep having files that I save and close but when I...
  8. Files won't open in Excel, Word, Adobe or in File system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files won't open in Excel, Word, Adobe or in File system: I upgraded a few months ago to Windows 11. I have a 1 year old laptop with Office 2019. I work from home and same my files on external drives and on One Drive or DropBox depending upon the work. Since installing Windows 11, I keep having files that I save and close but when I...
  9. cannot open word or excel files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    cannot open word or excel files: I cannot open excel or word files. I get an error message everytime I try and open those files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/cannot-open-word-or-excel-files/964b7030-4219-4f20-9683-554ed344e103
  10. Word files won't open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Word files won't open: Hi, I have spent all day trying everything I can to get my Word files to open. Files opened last night, but none today. I click on a file and it has the little hourglass for about say 15 secs or so then just reverts to an arrow and nothing happens. I have tried Right...