Windows 10: All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update.

Discus and support All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After an Windows update last night I discovered that all my files on my C: drive were gone. At first I could not even log in on my account. Which is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SarahHauge, Aug 22, 2020.

1. All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update.

After an Windows update last night I discovered that all my files on my C: drive were gone.

At first I could not even log in on my account. Which is odd beacuse I don't use a password on my user profile since I am the only one using this computer. I restared the computer but everything looked different and most of the icons on my desktop were missing. I googled it and someone said that all previous files should be in a folder called windows.old. I checked, but the folder was empty. I happened to find all the missing files on a copy of my user folder and moved everything I wanted to keep to my new document folder. Then I turned off the computer, thinking I have solved the problem.

A couple of hours passed and I started my computer. Immediately something looked wrong - again. This time my desktop was solid black instead of the default window's background I discovered this morning. I looked at my document folder and found it empty - again. I quickly searched where I previously found my lost files, but nothing there either. Except for the files that I didn't want and therefore had not moved. It was like the user profile I logged in to this morning only existed in some sort of limbo.

I have tried using MiniTool Power Data Recovery, Restoro and Disk Drill. They all seem to findsomething but I have to pay in order to retrieve my supposedly recovered files. And I get that a service like that requires money, if for example you accidently deleted your files or did something reckless without thinking. But I did not do any of this, I did not choose to update.

I got a question asking WHEN I wanted to update yesterday and I chose during the night. If I had known that it would ruin my day I would havenever clicked concerning the update.

So now I don't know what to do. I can see that the recovery programs found some files at least something with the same name, but I will not pay for something an update did. Is there a way to solve this and get my files back?

Please help.

:)

SarahHauge, Aug 22, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Tintai Win User
    I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

Hello,

So about two weeks ago I deleted a $Windows~.BT folder (through the cmd). Now I know that was Windows 10 files ready for install.

How can I download it again? I'm sure I need to reinstall some update. But which?

Tintai

Tintai, Aug 22, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update.

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update. ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update.

1. All my files were deleted after Windows 10 update. - Similar Threads - files were deleted

2. My files were deleted after repairing corrupt files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My files were deleted after repairing corrupt files: Awhile ago, a couple folders on my flash drive were corrupted after I unplugged it from a Chromebook without ejecting it. At the time I did not know removing flash drives without ejecting could corrupt data. Most of the files were not damaged too badly, like ones having...
  3. All my files were deleted after uninstalling a program

All my files were deleted after uninstalling a program: So I had this program called BleachBit and I uninstalled it using an uninstaller called IObit Uninstaller. After I uninstalled the program, everything else from my system was also deleted. The wallpaper on my desktop turned black as if the wallpaper was deleted, the files on...
  4. All of my files were deleted...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All of my files were deleted...: I fired up my laptop this morning and every file had been moved to the recycle bin. Some files I had already permanently deleted were restored and several files, despite appearing available in my recycle bin, indicate that they no longer exist. Does anyone have some insight...
  5. HELP! All local files were deleted!

HELP! All local files were deleted!: While attempting to clear up some free space on my hard drive, I accidentally deleted my OneDrive folder. This cleaned out everything on my desktop, including current projects I'm working on as well as obliterating my documents folders and others. again, important current...
  6. Windows 10 update deleted all my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update deleted all my files: Woke on the 16th to see a forced Windows 10 update had been pushed through on my desktop. All my settings, bookmarks, and most importantly - files and photographs - are gone. Tried restoring to a previous version from an auto back-up two days before the update took 8 hrs!...
  7. After updating my laptop, all my files were delete without a trace.

After updating my laptop, all my files were delete without a trace.: I am a high school student and I just updated windows last night and for some strange reason ALL of my files were deleted without a single trace of where they've gone. This worries me because I had several school documents and family pictures on it. Could I get an explanation...
  8. Windows Update: all of my files including my downloads and pictures were removed/deleted

Windows Update: all of my files including my downloads and pictures were removed/deleted: I just updated and restarted my computer last night and when I went to login, it kept repeating the same error message. When I was finally able to login, I noticed that my background screen had changed to a normal windows blue screen. Thinking this was weird, I went to my...
  9. Windows deletes folders that were on my desktop after an update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows deletes folders that were on my desktop after an update: Hello everyone, hope you are having a good day. So on thursday evening I finished my regular shenanigans on my pc and went to bed. When I went to turn the pc it had the "Update and shut down" option because an update was available. Didn't really think anything of it, just...
  10. Windows 10 Update Deleted All My Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Update Deleted All My Files: Windows 10 updated and all my files are gone. I tried retrieving it from the windows.old file but it was empty. All my pictures were on my computer and now they are completely gone and this is ridiculous that an update my computer said it needed completely wiped my computer....