Windows 10: All my folders are stuck on read only (all the standard online solutions don't work)

Discus and support All my folders are stuck on read only (all the standard online solutions don't work) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just reformatted my computer and did a fresh install of windows 10 home (version 1903). I plugged in my external SSD via usb, and every folder in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oxeimon, Sep 14, 2019.

1. oxeimon Win User

All my folders are stuck on read only (all the standard online solutions don't work)

I just reformatted my computer and did a fresh install of windows 10 home (version 1903).

I plugged in my external SSD via usb, and every folder in the drive is stuck on "read only". What this means is that when I right-click on the folder and select "Properties", the "read only" box is checked. When I uncheck it and hit "Apply", then "OK", all seems well until I go back into the folder properties and yet again the "read only" box is checked.

This is not just a cosmetic issue. When I open a photoshop file in that folder and try to export that image as a jpeg to replace an existing jpeg (with the same name), I get an error "You don't have permission to write to...etc". This is not only an issue with folders on my SSD. Even when I create a new folder named "TEST" using Ctrl+Shift+N in explorer, it also seems to be read-only (under right click -> Properties). Bizarrely, if I copy the psd and jpeg file to my newly created "TEST" folder and try the same thing on the new psd/jpeg, I don't encounter a problem. In any case, my issue is with every folder being stuck on "read only".

(Before the reformat I was also having this problem. This is why I reformatted)

The standard solutions I see online are:

Use "attrib -r <PATH>" to remove the read-only flag in a command prompt run as administrator. I tried this, it did nothing.

Take control of the folder using the security tab - I don't have a security tab, and all attempts to re-enable it do not work. For example, under regedit path "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies", I don't have a file called "NoSecurityTab". Also, I don't have "gpedit.msc". Before the reformat I went through a bunch of hoops to install it, but again there was no file called "NoSecurityTab" in the path I was directed to look into according to various online sources.

I also tried using "icacls <PATH>" to see my permissions on the folder, and the output is "No permissions are set. All users have full control. Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files". So it seems like I have full control. I get the same output if I use icacls on the jpeg or the psd file.

This is kind of infuriating, and I find it extremely annoying this is happening **after a reformat!!!**

Seriously considering buying a mac pro.

Can anyone help?

:)

oxeimon, Sep 14, 2019
  2. armym3 Win User

WarRock 3D Detection don´t works

Hello Guys,

i had a problem with my Card. The card didn´t wanted to change in 3D Modus. Ok now i removed the other 2 Pins and now it runs in 3D Modus in 3DMark06 too. The Card is a HD 2900GT. But my Game WarRock don´t runs in 3D Modus. Is there a List where i can start the game in 3D Manual? Because in Automatic it don´t want start because the Card don´t see that it is an 3D Game. Can someone help me?

armym3, Sep 14, 2019
  3. Valeriu Win User
    Dolby advanced audio v2 (Windows 10 don-t work)

Hello guys!I have a problem with advanced audio v2 on windows 10 don-t work
    All my folders are stuck on read only (all the standard online solutions don't work) [​IMG]

Valeriu, Sep 14, 2019
  4. JDivineŠ Win User

All my folders are stuck on read only (all the standard online solutions don't work)

stuff that don`t work

I also tryed safe mode, it still didn`t work on it. and Glucofacts Deluxe STILL does not work, so... you say that you don`t know how it started working on win 10 for you?

JDivineŠ, Sep 14, 2019
Thema:

1. All my folders are stuck on read only (all the standard online solutions don't work) - Similar Threads - folders are stuck

2. All my folders are read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders are read only: Everytime I try to uncheck the folders they go back to read onlyto clarify a few thingsI am the admin of the computerI already did the SFC scan and nothing came outWindows defender folder control access is offhappens in more than one hard driveI tried several things online...
  3. All my folders are read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All my folders are read only: Everytime I try to uncheck the folders they go back to read onlyto clarify a few thingsI am the admin of the computerI already did the SFC scan and nothing came outWindows defender folder control access is offhappens in more than one hard driveI tried several things online...
  4. All my folders and files are suddenly Read-Only. Solutions found online not working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All my folders and files are suddenly Read-Only. Solutions found online not working.: Hi, All of a sudden all my files and folders have become read-only. Even if I right-click and deselect the option, it does not work. When I open up the properties again, it's ticked again. I don't recall having a windows update in the last few days and I'm not sure how this...
  5. All my folders and files are suddenly Read-Only. Solutions found online not working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my folders and files are suddenly Read-Only. Solutions found online not working.: Hi, All of a sudden all my files and folders have become read-only. Even if I right-click and deselect the option, it does not work. When I open up the properties again, it's ticked again. I don't recall having a windows update in the last few days and I'm not sure how this...
  6. All my folders and files are suddenly Read-Only. Solutions found online not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. all folders stuck as Read only

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    all folders stuck as Read only: i have full permision on my drives and folders but when u unfill the box that sets it to read only and open it again, it is filled in again. please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-folders-stuck-as-read-only/721bec54-5f29-43c8-9559-6f2a2065ea12
  8. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Folders Read Only: Title explains it all. Every folder on my C:\ or D:\ drives is set to read-only. I am able to change that in the folder properties, but when I go back in after hitting apply it reverts to read-only again. I have tried changing the permissions on each drive, disabling...
  9. All Folders Read Only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    All Folders Read Only: All folders seem to be listed as Read Only. Do not have third party antivirus. Yes, I already checked Permissions and Ownership Yes, I have already followed every tutorial and suggestion on this site....
  10. all folders are read only

in Windows 10 Support
    all folders are read only: Today I discovered that all my files are read only. I had saved a spreadsheet yesterday, then today I went to open it and it said read only. Then I looked at other files and the read only box was checked. Even when I unchecked it, and closing the property box, when I opened...