Windows 10: All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!

Discus and support All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; OK. Wit's end time!Last week, after having no issues for years, I plugged in 4 of my external drives I have 10 of them, all with backed up data,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Fedupwithitall., Oct 5, 2022.

1. All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!

OK. Wit's end time!Last week, after having no issues for years, I plugged in 4 of my external drives I have 10 of them, all with backed up data, photos, music, films, training material, etc - which were all individually labelled/named, via my TPLink hub. I saw that every drive name had changed to "LOCAL" + a drive letter! The names had gone! I tried everything! Renaming from Explorer and then Disk Management. Nothing!Cleared all data from all10 drives, removed partitions via disk management, formatted and reassigned drive letter via disk management. Everything back to normal.Put all data ba

:)

Fedupwithitall., Oct 5, 2022

2. External drives not accepting changes to names

I had my external drives renamed and appearing correctly, but now they have reverted to "local disk" and will not display the changes in File Explorer? The renamed drives do appear correctly in DIsk Manager though? I have tried renaming them repeatedly
    without success. I do have 8 external drives and 3 of them have accepted the name changes.

SteveArnold_994, Oct 5, 2022
  3. nate_995 Win User
    unable to rename external hard drive

I tried what you said, but it still says "you need permission to perform this action". I have access to everything on the drive. It is only the autorun.inf that i no longer have access to and because of that when i rename the drive it shows the new name
    in disk management but it stays the same in my computer. I am using windows 10 pro.

nate_995, Oct 5, 2022
  4. All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!

Naming external drives

Wiindows uses the following strategy when assigning a drive letter to an external mass storage devices:

• If the device has not previously been connected: Use the lowest available drive letter.
    • If the device has been previously connected:

- If the previously used drive letter is currently available, use it.

- If the previously used drive letter is not available, use the lowest available driver letter.
    If your drive letters keep changing then you could use one of these solutions:

• Use high drive letters (e.g. R: and SAll my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING! :) to minimise the risk of the letters getting used by a different device.
    • Use a script to force the desired drive letters.

Frederik Long, Oct 5, 2022
Thema:

All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!

1. All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING! - Similar Threads - laptops delete external

2. All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!: OK. Wit's end time!Last week, after having no issues for years, I plugged in 4 of my external drives I have 10 of them, all with backed up data, photos, music, films, training material, etc - which were all individually labelled/named, via my TPLink hub. I saw that every...
  3. All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    All my laptops delete external drive names and rename them "Local". Tried EVERYTHING!: OK. Wit's end time!Last week, after having no issues for years, I plugged in 4 of my external drives I have 10 of them, all with backed up data, photos, music, films, training material, etc - which were all individually labelled/named, via my TPLink hub. I saw that every...
  4. Instead of Deleting OST files I renamed them- Drive was full

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Instead of Deleting OST files I renamed them- Drive was full: Instead of Deleting OST files, I renamed them Drive was full, so I deleted my old ost files and now there is plenty of space on my hard drive but on this computer, But outlook won't download my mail anymore on this computer. it will on the other computers - I need to somehow...
  5. WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WindowsApps folder on external drive won't delete, tried everything: I have taken ownership, switched all the files in my drive to be owned by me and give me full control and even tried command prompt and it still won't delete. I am starting to think that my only option is to take all of my data (except the WindowsApps folder) off the drive...
  6. Does resetting everything in my laptop delete my D drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does resetting everything in my laptop delete my D drive?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/okk46vhu05n61.png?width=252&format=png&auto=webp&s=e5f1e96e4f7e52684091a58e98eb570d6fdbc0a3 submitted by /u/VernabR [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m5en1n/does_resetting_everything_in_my_laptop_delete_my/
  7. Can't rename external drive

Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  8. Can't rename external drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't rename external drive: [img] Windows 10 v 1904. Want to rename external disk "X". System likes it as "D" in sequence. I can type in (X) but the (D) won't change. Can this be done? 171446
  9. Naming external drives

Naming external drives: I am having problems with naming external drives. I have two. When I tried to rename them G and F, it worked sort of but now the names are (G:)(F:) and (F:)(G:). Because of this many of my shortcuts do not work. When I add the drives to another lap top they are G: and F:...
  10. Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Files gone when trying to copy them from laptop to external hard drive: Hi everyone. I apologize if this is a duplicate request by others but greatly need some assistance. Today, I transferred files from my husband's Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop hard drive. Once transferred, I hit "Ctrl-C" to "copy" them from the laptop folder to our...