Windows 10: All new files on drive C have gold lock icon

Discus and support All new files on drive C have gold lock icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been running this new Windows 10 PC for over a month, but somehow in the last day or two I've noticed that every new file I create on drive C has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by d4005, Jun 25, 2019.

1. d4005 Win User

All new files on drive C have gold lock icon

I've been running this new Windows 10 PC for over a month, but somehow in the last day or two I've noticed that every new file I create on drive C has a gold lock icon on it. It doesn't seem to affect what I can do with the file(s), but is a bit annoying. I don't know how this has suddenly started happening.

It doesn't happen on internal drives D, E, and F, and external USB drives G and H. I don't have bitlocker enabled for drive C (thanks to Google I ended up checking that). I can remove the gold lock icon by right-clicking on the folder that contains any files that have the lock, but then every new file I have has it. Also, if I copy/paste a file to make a copy that also gets the gold lock (basically because it's also just another new file).

How can I stop this happening?

edit: I remembered that a few days ago I was trying to create a zip file with password protection, so it might well have been something I did in that failed attempt to get a password-protected zip. Considering that I never managed to even do it though, I'd be surprised. That's a question for the future I guess ... how can you create a zip/compressed-folder that is password-protected and/or encrypted.

:)

d4005, Jun 25, 2019

2. C Drive icon disapear?

I was trying to install need for speed pro street demo. I install it in C drive directory. Somehow it got currupted.. so I delete the files manually in C drive and reboot and download pro street again.

Now my C drive picture Icon disapear and now it just a white square. Did when I was deleting pro street files in C drive somehow it effect the C drive icon? or did I accidently delete something that is not pro street file?

How do I make my C drive picture Icon back?

HiddenStupid, Jun 25, 2019
  3. Appended icon in some files in Win7

Ah LMAO

Now i think what's it is

The Admin account Im on has denied permissions of access for other users (cannot access folder lists, no reading no writting)

But I can others.

Some of the Fraps Movies I moved from C:/ other_user ... to D: ... but D is public for everyone. (games/data)

But still why the heck do encoded files retain that ... it's weird.

EDIT: There should be some win7 article on this, there should be more of these variants. But there's no LOCK icon on the folders either.

Also I found the LOCK icon to be kind of stupid ... when you have access it's shown as "locked" but when you dont have access it's not shown at all.

Yes the permissions are retained for other_user , it's denied and I also can't seems to remove that ... Ah these inherited permissions, need to move em around ... but need to wait to complete first.

RuskiSnajper, Jun 25, 2019
  4. All new files on drive C have gold lock icon

hard drive icon?

Hi, i am trying to change my hard drive icon and have never done it before. I searched and found a little guide but it didnt work. I downloaded an icon from iconarchive.com and so its a single icon in an ico file type.

It opened notepad and typed:

[autorun]

icon=C:\"the file extenstion".ico

and saved it as "C:\autrun.inf"

but this is how it turned out:

All new files on drive C have gold lock icon funnyicon.jpg

can anyone help me with this?

Pitchblack1110, Jun 25, 2019
Thema:

All new files on drive C have gold lock icon

1. All new files on drive C have gold lock icon - Similar Threads - files drive gold

2. Changed C: Drive Permissions and now have random files in my C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changed C: Drive Permissions and now have random files in my C Drive: Hello, I was in a coding class and needed to put a picture into the app I was working on. To do this, as an inexperienced coder I thought I had to upload it to my C: drive. When I uploaded the pictures, I was unable to because of the permissions of the drive. I changed the...
  3. Locked out of c drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Locked out of c drive: I accidentally denied every users, administrators, system, authenticated users from full access in c drive. Now I can't access c drive. Windows doens't works properly and even the system can't access system 32 folder. And whenever I click something inside the properties of c...
  4. Move C drive to new drive

Move C drive to new drive: Morning guys.So I have installed a new m.2 SSD into my motherboard. I have a SSD as my main boot drive and a HDD as my Data drive. Is there a way to move my C drive to my m.2 SSD and changing it to C drive without having to reinstall windows 10?...
  5. Will C drive and all files on the computer be deleted?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will C drive and all files on the computer be deleted?: Hello, I'm trying to reinstall/ upgrade my version of windows to the next version. I'm using the Media creation tool to upgrade my version of windows. These are the options I have. I cannot select any other options. Will this affect my files? [ATTACH] Thank you,...
  6. New files in C: drive

New files in C: drive: I only have my C: drive, because I have a laptop. Today a couple random folders and files popped up in my C drive: -mono.msi file -System64 folder -System folder -Mono folder I have literally never seen these before and didn't know they existed. I'm wondering what...
  7. C:/ Drive No Access At All

C:/ Drive No Access At All: I Have Tried Multiple Ways To Gain Access Back To My Main User Account And Non Of Them Have Worked Each Time "Access Is Denied" Even With Administror Account and Safe Mode Control Panel. I Accidently Disabled All Permissions But Read On My leepa user account on c drive and...
  8. All drives and all files have become read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All drives and all files have become read-only: I noticed this 3 days ago after restarting my PC that I couldn't make any new folders. I then did some looking around and realised my drives (SSD boot drive and HDD secondary) were both read-only. I've tried unticking the read-only box in properties of the folders but they...
  9. Moving C drive to a new drive

Moving C drive to a new drive: Hello My main C drive is starting to pack up. Is it possible to transfer my complete C drive to a new hard drive and keep my windows and all of my programs? Thank you for the help. I use windows 10 64bit....
  10. Lost all files in C Drive.

Lost all files in C Drive.: I need help from technical support urgently. I lost all my files in all folders - Music, Download etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lost-all-files-in-c-drive/2c95561b-1182-47fe-8b2f-96cf46b9c2c6"