Windows 10: All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0

Discus and support All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 pro 64-bit Version 1909 18363.418, and when I connected my external hard drive "WD My Passport... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eslam Mohamed Abdellatif, Jul 6, 2020.

1. All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0

Hi everyone,

I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 pro 64-bit Version 1909 18363.418, and when I connected my external hard drive "WD My Passport Ultra 259D " which supports USB 3.0, it was recognized only as 2.0 and this message appears "Device can perform faster when connected to USB 3.0".

My laptop is HP ZBook 15 G3 Workstation with all drivers installed and updated all to latest version, and according to the device specifications all of it's USB ports are 3.0 high speed, yet when inserting the external drive it connects as USB 2.0 device.

All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0 21189e0c-812f-4dd9-98c4-ff904d80bc5f?upload=true.jpg

I tried uninstalling "IntelR USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller" and "USB Root Hub USB 3.0" then restarting, and reinstalled the external drive drivers but no luck. I tried troubleshooting "devices and printers" yet nothing found. I also checked the USB ports and the external device's cable, but all was good.

I used USB device tree viewer V3.4.0 and it's clearly showing that the external drive is running as USB 2.0 device.

All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0 f2485551-918e-426f-95be-a18b912878de?upload=true.jpg

I searched a lot but did't find anything helpful. I only found that this has to do with windows 10 Host Controller driver compatibility with the device's chipset.

I am still testing few things, but I hope someone might know how to solve this problem.

Best regard and Sorry for my bad English.

:)

Eslam Mohamed Abdellatif, Jul 6, 2020
  2. auggy Win User

USB 2.0 printer to USB 3.0 port

Try the HP Print and Scan Doctor available from the following link:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02073861

If the printer keeps insisting on a USB 2.0 port try giving it one by plugging a USB 2.0 hub (if you have one) into the USB 3.0 port and connect the printer to the USB 2.0 hub.

auggy, Jul 6, 2020
  3. smounce Win User
    USB 2.0 Ports Stopped working

Hello,

I recently noticed my USB 2.0 ports have stopped working, but my USB 3.0 port is functioning perfectly.

Steps i have tried:

- Restarting

- Searching for device changes in Device manager

- running troubleshooter

all these suggested fixes didn't remedy the issue, its a bit of an inconvenience that i only have one functioning USB port

Thanks

smounce, Jul 6, 2020
  4. David.P. Win User

All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0

Changing a USB 2.0 to a USB 3.0

Hello Rosalyn,

USB 3.0 ports are backwards compatible with USB 2.0. This means you can plug your USB 2.0 items into a USB 3.0 port, and they'll work. Have you tried plugging your printer in to your laptop?

David.P., Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0

1. All of HP laptop USB 3.0 ports running as USB 2.0 - Similar Threads - laptop USB ports

2. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives: The ports recognize mouse, keyboard, headset and card reader but not portable ssd drives. They are recognized in my other windows 10 OS on another disk so it seems to be some setting on my main Windows os. I checked USB suspend settings - disabled. Checked bios but can't be...
  3. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives: The ports recognize mouse, keyboard, headset and card reader but not portable ssd drives. They are recognized in my other windows 10 OS on another disk so it seems to be some setting on my main Windows os. I checked USB suspend settings - disabled. Checked bios but can't be...
  4. All USB 3 and 2 ports are not recognising any ssd drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  6. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.: All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working. Its not bios because I am dual booting another windows drive on same computer and there is no problem on that drive. I have tried all power mgmt and driver un/installs but nothing is changed. So I suspect something in...
  7. All USB 3 ports are not working. USB 2 are working.

8. Are all USB-C ports USB 3?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are all USB-C ports USB 3?: Idk where else to ask this. Do all USB-C ports support USB 3 cables? My USB-C port just has a normal USB port but so does my USB 3.1 Gen1 port. submitted by /u/xMasterMelonx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k05owe/are_all_usbc_ports_usb_3/
  9. USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices

USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices: I have had this problem since February and not sure what to do. All of my USB 3 ports are not recognized by my computer as USB 3 ports only as USB 2/1.[ATTACH] The two active ports you see there are USB 3 ports, but they don't work as USB 3 ports. If any one has had this...
  10. USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT...: I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then drops again...