Windows 10: All of my download files are getting named the same

Discus and support All of my download files are getting named the same in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Regardless of what browser I use, or what type of files I download, I will always get the name download to appear as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/grafcar, Dec 7, 2019.

1. All of my download files are getting named the same

/u/grafcar, Dec 7, 2019

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Dec 7, 2019
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Dec 7, 2019
  4. red268 Win User

All of my download files are getting named the same

Gathering Names Of Multiple Files

Is it possible to get the names of multiple files and paste them in to Notepad or Word or something?

Not sure how clear that is - I've got a folder with lots and lots of films from holidays etc. I've spent ages renaming them all to something meaningful (Other than Mov0001, Mov0002 etc etc)
    Unfortunatly, at the time, I didn't think to copy and paste the names in to a file as I did each one. But now people want to know what things I've got - so I want a list of all the names without having to type each one out seperately.

Any ideas?

Thanks

red268, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

All of my download files are getting named the same

1. All of my download files are getting named the same - Similar Threads - download files are

2. My This PC Download folder is the same and named as Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My This PC Download folder is the same and named as Desktop: It was a few years ago that Downloads and Desktop was its own separate folder, but I don't exactly remember what I did to accidentally sync them. I think I was trying to delete something, but I didn't know how, so I was clicking random things. But anyway, the problem is that...
  3. My This PC Download folder is the same and named as Desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My This PC Download folder is the same and named as Desktop: It was a few years ago that Downloads and Desktop was its own separate folder, but I don't exactly remember what I did to accidentally sync them. I think I was trying to delete something, but I didn't know how, so I was clicking random things. But anyway, the problem is that...
  4. My This PC Download folder is the same and named as Desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Keep files with the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep files with the same name: I regularly have documents with the same name that I need to transfer to a folder and I want to select the option to not skip any files with the same name and just have them automatically renamed, rather than having to choose to keep both files each time....
  6. 2 files in the same folders with the same name

2 files in the same folders with the same name: How can this happen!? Files downloaded from bank statements using Firefox. This worries me! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-files-in-the-same-folders-with-the-same-name/514f1b90-be4c-43b0-a293-79c42d40da27
  7. 2 Files with the same name.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 Files with the same name.: [ATTACH]So I am trying to replace some textures for an aircraft and I was able to replace the first file but the 2nd one I needed to replace has the exact same name as the first one. And when I try to paste the replacement for the 2nd file, it overwrites the first one....
  8. Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name

Batch file to move all the files to folders that start with the same name: I have a folder with pdf files like this TCH_123.pdf TCH_573.pdf EHUB_456.pdf EHUB_764.pdf and subfolders with names like TCH and EHUB I want to write a batch file to move all the files to the folder with the name that the files start with. I am a total beginner to...
  9. All files changed to same name

All files changed to same name: This refers to the following link, which has been locked for comment: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/file-names-changed-in-1-folder-to-the-same-name/edc4bc91-3283-4921-89ac-3c98a2a13f96 The person who replied is wrong to an extent. If...
  10. Multiple files with same name

Multiple files with same name: Here's one that is a total mystery to me: The last couple of days I have been working on a file made with MS Word. It was a letter that I have been working of for a couple of days. I edited and changed the file several times and put it in two different folders. I wasn't sure...