Windows 10: All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working

Discus and support All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Everything was working fine - I went out for about an hour and came back to my PC and the mouse and keyboard had stopped working. They work fine in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pareeeee, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Pareeeee Win User

All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working

Everything was working fine - I went out for about an hour and came back to my PC and the mouse and keyboard had stopped working. They work fine in BIOS and in the Automatic Repair screen so I know it's a Windows issue, not a hardware one.

I was finally able to borrow a PS/2 keyboard yesterday (which is awful to navigate without a mouse *Shock) and navigated to Device Manager where I discovered that all of the USB ports, controllers etc. have the little warning icon.

Device manager tells me that the driver might be missing or corrupted, but when I click "Update Driver" it contradicts itself by saying I already have the best drivers available! (Thanks Microsoft! *Rolleyes)

Anyway, the only thing I can think of that I've done recently is update my graphics card drivers - but I have since rolled them back. I suppose a Windows Update could have taken place during that hour I was out.

I have tried the following:
    - Plugging in USB devices into every port. None of them are recognized.
    - Uninstalling all of the USB device drivers - they just come back as soon as I refresh "scan for hardware changes
    - Windows updates
    - Installing the drivers straight from my motherboard manufacturer website (Windows doesn't want me to install those *Rolleyes)
    - No options to roll back drivers
    - Updating from Device Manager
    - Disabling / Enabling from Device Manager
    - Disabled "Fast Startup" (as suggested elsewhere)

PS: I apologize in advance for the phone pics but it's too hard to do this on my PC with only a keyboard.

All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working [​IMG]

:)

Pareeeee, Jun 1, 2019

2. Xbox one controller suddenly not working with Windows 10

Problem description:

- Xbox One controller now listed in Device Manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

- I get the following "USB device not recognized" notification when connecting Xbox One controller:

The last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Restart computer multiple times

- Try with 2 additional USB cables

- Try all 3 cables in different USB slots

- Uninstall controller in Device Manager, then reconnected controller. Devices is re-added with same error message:

"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Observations:

- When I tried plugging controller into the keyboard's built in USB sockets, it caused the keyboard and mouse to suddenly stop working and appear to power down until restart.

- This controller has never had this problem on this device in the past, and has previous worked perfectly with all 3 cables I used in testing.

Any additional troubleshooting steps you can suggest? Thanks in advance.

Nathan2014, Jun 1, 2019
  3. USB composite device "driver error"

Can you send us a screenshot of the error message? We suggest uninstalling and re-installing USB drivers and check if the issue persists. To do that, please follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Start button and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right-click on the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Regards.

Aileen Alf, Jun 1, 2019
  4. All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working

USB ports suddenly stopped working!

Hi KathleenGroves

Greetings! I am Vijay, an Independent Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

1 - Scan for hardware changes

Windows Key + X > Click Device Manager > Click the topmost entry i.e. your device > Click Action in Menu > Click Scan for hardware changes > Reboot your computer

2 - Check your power management settings

Windows Key + X > Click on Device Manager > Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers > Double-click the first USB Root Hub device in the list, and click the Power Management tab > Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox
    & OK > Do this for other USB Root Hub devices if listed

Reboot your computer

3 - Disable and enable USB controllers

Windows Key + X > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers > Right click on each entry beneath this one by one and Uninstall > Reboot your computer to automatically install these

4 - Fix USB Root Hub

Windows Key+X > Click Device Manager > Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers > Right-click USB Root Hub option and click Properties > Go to Power Management tab and uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK. > If you have
    more than one USB Root Hub, repeat this step for all

5 - Update / Reinstall Generic USB Hub

Windows Key+X > Click Device Manager > Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers > Right click on USB Hub > Select Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software > Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > From the list,
    select Generic USB Hub > Next and follow onscreen instructions > Reboot your Computer

If problem not solved, right-click USB Hub of your USB drive and select Uninstall

Reboot your Computer to install driver automatically

Do let me know if you have any more question or require further help.

Vijay_Verma, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working

1. All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working - Similar Threads - USB Controller drivers

2. Usb Bluetooth suddenly stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Bluetooth suddenly stopped working: I use a usb Bluetooth receiver to connect my controller Ps4 Controller to the computer wireless and just one day it suddenly just stopped working, i bought 2 other usb bluetooth receiver and they seems to not work. Any ideas why it stopped working?...
  3. My microphone just suddenly stopped working all of the sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My microphone just suddenly stopped working all of the sudden: So, i bought a new laptop Using windows 11 a couple of months ago and it was working fine until now, somehow the microphone just suddenly stopped working on all programs, yesterday it was working fine but somehow when i shut my laptop down and then turned it back on the next...
  4. My microphone just suddenly stopped working all of the sudden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My microphone just suddenly stopped working all of the sudden: So, i bought a new laptop Using windows 11 a couple of months ago and it was working fine until now, somehow the microphone just suddenly stopped working on all programs, yesterday it was working fine but somehow when i shut my laptop down and then turned it back on the next...
  5. All of the sudden many drivers stopped working??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All of the sudden many drivers stopped working??: Was playing a game everything froze. I restarted the computer now sound isn't working some USB aren't working and there's this mouse circle that keeps blinking when I'm not doing anything? What happened need help submitted by /u/Travisdrey23 [link] [comments]...
  6. all of my ports stopped working all of the sudden.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    all of my ports stopped working all of the sudden.: hello all. so basically my ports stopped working i only have 3 ports on the back that they are still working but all of the remaining ports stopped even the front ones and the type C ports. and its kinda weird because i think they give small power if i plug a hard drive...
  7. my usb ports stopped working all of the sudden

my usb ports stopped working all of the sudden: hello all. i have been using my computer for quite some time now and all of the sudden all of my ports stopped working. i tried to install drivers but nothing helped. i uninstall usb controllers from the device manager few times. re-installed, and checked for hardware...
  8. Bluetooth drivers stopped working all of the sudden.

Bluetooth drivers stopped working all of the sudden.: I was using my headphones and all of the sudden they stopped working and the laptop speakers started instead. I checked my Bluetooth settings to find that I couldn't turn it on anymore. [ATTACH] I should mention that the Bluetooth icon shoesn't show up in the system tray...
  9. My headphones stopped working all of a sudden

My headphones stopped working all of a sudden: I have the Black ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro TR, and I've had it for a long time, I was using it fine, just minding my own business, when all of a sudden I think I clicked a button or something, and the sound went completely off. So I tried restarting... didn't work, I tried...
  10. My headphones stopped working all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Support
    My headphones stopped working all of a sudden: I have the Black ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro TR, and I've had it for a long time, I was using it fine, just minding my own business, when all of a sudden I think I clicked a button or something, and the sound went completely off. So I tried restarting... didn't work, I tried...