Windows 10: all of my user folder items appear on my desktop

Discus and support all of my user folder items appear on my desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Hi - I did something wrong not sure what and now all of my user folder items appear on my desktop. I no longer have a Desktop folder under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MichaelZimmers, Jun 23, 2020.

1. all of my user folder items appear on my desktop

all of my user folder items appear on my desktop 3c675fa0-1188-44aa-8160-d63968886cf8?upload=true.png Hi -

I did something wrong not sure what and now all of my user folder items appear on my desktop. I no longer have a Desktop folder under my user folder. Can someone tell me what to do to get this fixed? I'm guessing the first step is to recreate my Desktop folder, but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks...

:)

MichaelZimmers, Jun 23, 2020
  2. KeithM Win User

Strange empty folder randomly appears on desktop

Items that appear on the Desktop come from one of four locations:
    • User's Desktop folder: shell:desktop <- copy & paste to Explorer Adress bar
    • AllUsers Desktop folder: shell:common desktop
    • HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\desktop\namespace
    • HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\desktop\namespace

So check all four locations to sell where it's originating.

KeithM, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Desktop and user folder merging

Hi,

There are different ways for you to recover the previous folder settings on your computer. One of these is by following the steps below to organize and relocate your desktop or user folder.

• Press Windows key + E to launch File Explorer.
    • Right-click on the special folder that you want to restore (Desktop).
    • Then select Properties.
    • Navigate to the Location tab.
    • Click Restore Default.
    • Then click Apply to save the changes.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Engelsen Fad, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Robert11 Win User

all of my user folder items appear on my desktop

Startup Items Question; Adding to Them ? And Having A Folder Appear

Hello,

Chipping away with getting W10 going with all of your help.
    Couldn't do it otherwise.
    So, again, much thanks-very appreciated.

a. How do I add an item to the Startup list, such that it automatically will start
    when the PC starts ?

I would like my eMail (Mozilla Thunderbird) to appear at turn-on.

I found the list in the Task manager for starting items, but do not see any way of adding to it.
    Don't see any Folder labeled Startup
    How do I add additional items ?

b. And, if I copy a Folder (via a USB Memory Stick transfer) with a lot of WORD documents in it from old PC to the new one, how can I have this Folder appear, Always, on the new PC's Desktop, like it was under W7 on the old PC ?

Much thanks,
    Bob

Robert11, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

all of my user folder items appear on my desktop

1. all of my user folder items appear on my desktop - Similar Threads - user folder items

2. This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons: What is this its on top of all my desktop icons and pdf files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-icon-appeared-on-my-desktop-on-all-my-icons/cf37822c-5db9-4d34-a951-3edc712ddc95
  3. This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This icon appeared on my desktop on all my icons: What is this its on top of all my desktop icons and pdf files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-icon-appeared-on-my-desktop-on-all-my-icons/cf37822c-5db9-4d34-a951-3edc712ddc95
  4. Folders Keep appearing on my Desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folders Keep appearing on my Desktop: Hi,Somewhere I must have deleted the Downloads and Custom Office Templates folders. Everyday, the 2 folders appear on my Desktop.I do see Download folder in Default, Public and my user account. Nothing on Custom Office Templates in any of them.How do I get rid of the ones...
  5. Folders Keep appearing on my Desktop

Folders Keep appearing on my Desktop: Hi,Somewhere I must have deleted the Downloads and Custom Office Templates folders. Everyday, the 2 folders appear on my Desktop.I do see Download folder in Default, Public and my user account. Nothing on Custom Office Templates in any of them.How do I get rid of the ones...
  6. My Music folder keeps appearing on my desktop

My Music folder keeps appearing on my desktop: The default music folder keeps appearing on my desktop even after deletion, the folder is completely empty and has been deleted many times but keeps appearing on my desktop. I've run windows defender, Malwarebytes and PCmatic and everything is fine is there a reason? I've...
  7. Switch users and keep all desktop items

Switch users and keep all desktop items: I took over the wife's laptop and want to keep everything as is but change user/account to me, any help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/switch-users-and-keep-all-desktop-items/210a8e11-a08c-4305-b21f-05dd642f35ea
  8. Shortcuts appearing on all users desktops

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts appearing on all users desktops: Hello all, I've just bought a new computer with Win 10 installed of course *Smile I have the main user account as admin and I've set up two other user accounts for my kids, without admin. Whenever I install a new application a shortcut for that application gets...
  9. All Control Panel Items shortcut appears on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    All Control Panel Items shortcut appears on desktop: i get this "All Control Panel Items" shortcut appear on my desktop sometimes.. any solution to this other than pressing F5 to clear it?! my system: Windows 10 Pro x64 v1703 build 15063.675 97309
  10. Desktop folder disappear (C:\Users\Temp\Desktop) with all my material

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop folder disappear (C:\Users\Temp\Desktop) with all my material: Hi, i need your helps After upgrade to windows 10 (from 8) I notice that my "active" desktop folder is C:\Users\Temp\Desktop –I restart my computer and now my desktop is C:\Users"myUser"\Desktop The problem is - that C:\Users\Temp\Desktop folder with all of my sub-folders...