Windows 10: All picture files converted to icons. No longer can see individual pic

Discus and support All picture files converted to icons. No longer can see individual pic in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Running win 10 home on an asus desktop. Something got changed last month and now any and all pictures, in a file or not, have changed from seeing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dwh500, Jan 23, 2017.

1. dwh500 Win User

All picture files converted to icons. No longer can see individual pic

Running win 10 home on an asus desktop. Something got changed last month and now any and all pictures, in a file or not, have changed from seeing the picture to only seeing an icon unless I open them in a photo program.
    This happened before, several years ago, on a different win OS and machine. I don't remember what I did to correct it then.
    Anyone have any idea as to how to correct this? I have hundreds of pictures on this machine and really don't want to have to open a photo program every time I am looking for a given picture.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

:)

dwh500, Jan 23, 2017
  2. karjak Win User

Slideshow does not work with jpg pictures received in Windows 10 Email

I receive attached multiple jpg pictures using Windows 10 email. I can open pictures to view and also transfer to sub directory in Camera Roll directory on my computer. For some reason these pictures received by Email will not sequence in the slideshow
    option program with the picture viewer. This problem exists when I directly try to view from the Email post or when I go to File explorer after files are copied to my directory.

I can open and view pics fine, but when I hit slideshow, it will stay hung up on the same picture, repeating same photo every 5 seconds. The arrow over button in viewer for next picture will also not show. All other Jpg pictures in this directory work
    fine and sequence to next picture. I also can see the manual arrows to sequence forward of backward with the other jpg pics. I have to individually open and close each jpg Email pic received separately. These are all jpg files, what gives with the ones
    I get by Email. This is 8 month old computer with Win 10 preinstalled. The pics are about 2mb is size.

Karl

karjak, Jan 23, 2017
  3. sea2sky Win User
    Right Click will not open file or any desktop Icon

Win 10 issue .. No longer can open desktop icon or any file by right clicking on but can still access via OPEN in Properties fir Icon or individual file. All worked fine until last week.

sea2sky, Jan 23, 2017
  4. All picture files converted to icons. No longer can see individual pic

Welcome to the TenForums @dwh500

I assume what you mean is they show as the icon for a program, correct?

Are these in your Picture Library or in a custom directory?

If you are in File Explorer could you please click on View tab at top, when youo are in one of your folders. What view is selected, list, details or large icons. For pictures I would recommend one of the "Icon" settings, medium, large or extra large, so actual picture shows instead of program icon.

If this does not work, right on Picture folder, click properties, click on Customize tab. At the top should be an area "What kind of folder do you want?" The heading below should say picture and there should be a check box below it to apply template to all sub folders.

Caledon Ken, Jan 24, 2017
  5. AndreyT Win User
    The first thing to check would be to go to your "Control Panel -> File Explorer Options". Open "View" tab and take a look at the very first option in the list. It says "Always show icons, never thumbnails". Is that checkbox checked or unchecked in your case?

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

All picture files converted to icons. No longer can see individual pic

1. All picture files converted to icons. No longer can see individual pic - Similar Threads - picture files converted

2. My all file[ pic,video,ppt,word ]are converted into xls

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My all file[ pic,video,ppt,word ]are converted into xls: my pic,video,ppt ,word,rar file are converted to xls and i am unable to open them. [ATTACH] * Moved from Win 7/Files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-all-file-picvideopptword-are-converted-into-xls/f6195786-cf41-4f03-af89-73756d2c7461
  3. Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Picture ICONS instead of thumbnail pics: Suddenly all of my picture thumbnails are ICONS, instead of thumbnail pics. I have gone through the steps of Unchecking a box that says "always show ICONS instead of thumbnails" and that did NOT help. I don't like Microsoft Edge or the Cloud, I think those are the culprits...
  4. File Explorer, Icon Pic Question

File Explorer, Icon Pic Question: Can anyone tell me what the paper pic on my folder icons is? Just had to reload all software and now I have an addition to my icons. I want to get rid of that addition. Anyone HELP! Here's a pic [ATTACH] Thanks Bob B email me at: *** Email address is removed for...
  5. Picture Files and issue opening individual pictures.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Picture Files and issue opening individual pictures.: While opening individual pictures to see them on the full screen I have to double click and they always pop up and a box shows up on taskbar. Click the taskbar and picture also enlarges. In the process of doing this after about placing a couple of pictures on the screen the...
  6. How do I view pictures that are saved in a file. All I see are numbers or picture icons. I...

How do I view pictures that are saved in a file. All I see are numbers or picture icons. I...: How do I view pictures that are saved in a file. All I see are numbers or picture icons. I want to select which picture I want to use. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-view-pictures-that-are-saved-in-a-file/02086856-76ae-41b8-9321-301fc2e18f3a"
  7. In File Explorer, can no longer see selected files (not hilighted)

In File Explorer, can no longer see selected files (not hilighted): In File Explorer, when I select a file in the list, it used to hilight so you could tell, but since recently installing Updates (January 2019) you cannot see what files you have selected. This is a problem when copying multiple files since you cannot tell if you have all of...
  8. Can no longer see clock

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can no longer see clock: My lower right clock display (taskbar?) is now 'dimmed', and can't be read without placing mouse pointer over it, or double-clicking it. Why is that?...
  9. all video converters no longer work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all video converters no longer work: After a series of updates, one of which must have been at issue, ALL of my conversion software applications now fail to /convert/ any files. The programs load properly but that is followed by various issues depending on the app. Tipard will load, load video files, and start...
  10. Custom icons for individual files

in Windows 10 Support
    Custom icons for individual files: How can I change the icon for an individual file? For example, I have a phonelist.docx Word file on my desktop and would like to change the icon from the default Word icon to a telephone icon. How can that be done? 33083