Windows 10: All programs close when I lock my laptop

Discus and support All programs close when I lock my laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/timothy5597 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ggb122/all_programs_close_when_i_lock_my_laptop/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/timothy5597, May 9, 2020.

1. All programs close when I lock my laptop

/u/timothy5597, May 9, 2020

2. Windows 10 lock screen closes programs

Recently, when Windows 10 returns to the lock screen, all of my programs (e.g. Excel) are closed, any unsaved information is lost, and I must restart the programs upon entering my password at the lock screen. The behavior is as if, by leaving the computer idle, I clicked the "sign out" option (which I have not).

• Reverting to an old system restore point did not work.
    • Using Win-L and then immediately entering my password does not close my programs. I don't know how long the delay is between going to the lock screen and my programs being closed
    • I have no screen saver; the screen goes blank after 10 minutes; I have - to my knowledge - unchecked all instances of returning to the lock screen
    • I do want the lock screen, as this is an office computer
    • When booting to safe mode, the problem does not appear.

In response to comments

• My office computer is not on the institution's domain, although they do have one.
    • I can confirm that the computer is not rebooting by checking that no events with IDs 6005 or 6006 occur at times when my programs close
    • Starting the lock screen witn Win-L and waiting 15-20 minutes does not cause my programs to close. I not yet been able to check longer times; however, this is the only clue I have thus far to suggest that the program closing issue may not be attached to the lock screen.

I am not sufficiently familiar with the event viewer or task scheduling to check these systems for additional diagnostic information.

How do I continue to diagnose, and ultimately resolve, the issue of the Windows-10 lock screen apparently forcing all of my programs to close?

bobthechemist, May 9, 2020
  3. mazunki Win User
    Windows 10: How to Lock (not sleep) laptop on lid close?

Two steps:

• Capture the close lid event.
    • Trigger a lock-screen event.

See: Capturing laptop lid closing event in windows?, and Command-line (cmd) command to lock a windows machine.

From those sources, we can use RegisterPowerSettingNotification and GUID_LIDSWITCH_STATE_CHANGE to detect the trigger, and run:

from the command line to send a lock screen request to the machine.

I don't know what compilers you have available, or what languages you know, but this information should help you set up a program to do it for you.

I don't use Windows myself, so I can't build or test it for you.

mazunki, May 9, 2020
  4. shevanel Win User

All programs close when I lock my laptop

Any software to lock a running program?

Does anyone know of an ap or program that will allow me to lock software while in use so that it cannot be closed without a password or similar?

For example, if I have a media player open and running music is there a way or an ap that will allow no one to be able to close it, minimize it or use any other software on the PC?

Thanks for any suggestions...

shevanel, May 9, 2020
Thema:

All programs close when I lock my laptop

1. All programs close when I lock my laptop - Similar Threads - programs close lock

2. All programs are closed when laptop goes to sleep or hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All programs are closed when laptop goes to sleep or hibernate mode: i have ASUS Zephyrus G15 2022 with windows 11 home installed, every time i go to sleep mode / hibernate mode and leave my laptop, after come back hours later, i found that all my apps was closed, i lost all my web pages and documents i had opened before. how can i fix this?....
  3. All programs are closed when laptop goes to sleep or hibernate mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All programs are closed when laptop goes to sleep or hibernate mode: i have ASUS Zephyrus G15 2022 with windows 11 home installed, every time i go to sleep mode / hibernate mode and leave my laptop, after come back hours later, i found that all my apps was closed, i lost all my web pages and documents i had opened before. how can i fix this?....
  4. All programs closing when I lock my computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    All programs closing when I lock my computer: Hi all,This appear to be an intermittent issue that has started happening the last few days. Sometimes when I lock my computer and return 5-10 minutes later all of the programs I had open including Edge have been shut down. I've not changed any settings etc, I'm plugged into...
  5. My Laptop is using too much ram even when all programs and apps are closed!!!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My Laptop is using too much ram even when all programs and apps are closed!!!: I have an Asus VivoBook S15 with 8 GB of ram and for graphics I have a GeForce Mx 250. This problem is troubling me for more than a year and after being totally irritated, I am finally asking for help. So even when all programs and apps are closed, my laptop uses 50-60% of...
  6. Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lock Screen is closing all of the programs: So, Here is what is happening whenever I lock my computer after logging back in after 5 minutes it takes a little time more than usual to go to the password screen and it takes time after entering the password than usual. The worse thing is that it closes all the open...
  7. Preventing close-out of open programs when I close the laptop lid

in Windows 10 Customization
    Preventing close-out of open programs when I close the laptop lid: What is causing programs to shut down completely when I close the lid? I have to re-launch, sign in, and usually recover docs that were open at the time of closure, etc. even if all I've done is go from one room to the next. I've checked the power & sleep settings ... this...
  8. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  9. Lock laptop when lid is closed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lock laptop when lid is closed: Hello, Please add to Windows 10 the option to "lock on lid close". Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/lock-laptop-when-lid-is-closed/c9798949-35f4-46f1-afeb-fbf7b2be39c1"
  10. All apps close when I close laptop lid - why?

in Windows 10 Support
    All apps close when I close laptop lid - why?: The Low battery action is set to Hibernate, and Battery notification is On for both battery and plugged in modes. Mike