Windows 10: All programs closing when I lock my computer

Discus and support All programs closing when I lock my computer in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi all,This appear to be an intermittent issue that has started happening the last few days. Sometimes when I lock my computer and return 5-10 minutes... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by p4u1-w1ndow5, Aug 20, 2021.

1. All programs closing when I lock my computer

Hi all,This appear to be an intermittent issue that has started happening the last few days. Sometimes when I lock my computer and return 5-10 minutes later all of the programs I had open including Edge have been shut down. I've not changed any settings etc, I'm plugged into mains power etc so my computer is still on the lock screen when I return to it but everything has been closed when I unlock.Kind regards,Paul.

:)

p4u1-w1ndow5, Aug 20, 2021

2. Windows 10 lock screen closes programs

Recently, when Windows 10 returns to the lock screen, all of my programs (e.g. Excel) are closed, any unsaved information is lost, and I must restart the programs upon entering my password at the lock screen. The behavior is as if, by leaving the computer idle, I clicked the "sign out" option (which I have not).

• Reverting to an old system restore point did not work.
    • Using Win-L and then immediately entering my password does not close my programs. I don't know how long the delay is between going to the lock screen and my programs being closed
    • I have no screen saver; the screen goes blank after 10 minutes; I have - to my knowledge - unchecked all instances of returning to the lock screen
    • I do want the lock screen, as this is an office computer
    • When booting to safe mode, the problem does not appear.

In response to comments

• My office computer is not on the institution's domain, although they do have one.
    • I can confirm that the computer is not rebooting by checking that no events with IDs 6005 or 6006 occur at times when my programs close
    • Starting the lock screen witn Win-L and waiting 15-20 minutes does not cause my programs to close. I not yet been able to check longer times; however, this is the only clue I have thus far to suggest that the program closing issue may not be attached to the lock screen.

I am not sufficiently familiar with the event viewer or task scheduling to check these systems for additional diagnostic information.

How do I continue to diagnose, and ultimately resolve, the issue of the Windows-10 lock screen apparently forcing all of my programs to close?

bobthechemist, Aug 20, 2021
  3. shevanel Win User
    Any software to lock a running program?

Does anyone know of an ap or program that will allow me to lock software while in use so that it cannot be closed without a password or similar?

For example, if I have a media player open and running music is there a way or an ap that will allow no one to be able to close it, minimize it or use any other software on the PC?

Thanks for any suggestions...

shevanel, Aug 20, 2021
  4. All programs closing when I lock my computer

Win 10 - computer won't lock or sleep when lid is closed

Hi Shari,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1: Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.

• Select on Control Panel.

• Click on Power Options. On the left, click on "Choose what closing the lid does". Click on the drop down menu for "When I close the lid" and choose "Sleep" or "Hibernate.

Method 2: I suggest you to run in-built Power troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting on the left pane, click on
      View All.
    • Click on Power to run the troubleshooter.

Method 3: If the above method doesn’t help, I would suggest you to
    reset and restore all of the default Power Plans back with their default settings. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows Key + X.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg -restoredefaultschemes, and then press
      ENTER.
    • At the command prompt, type exit to exit the Command Prompt window.
    • Restart the computer and check with the issue.
    Let us know if the issue is resolved or if you require further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Aug 20, 2021
Thema:

All programs closing when I lock my computer

1. All programs closing when I lock my computer - Similar Threads - programs closing lock

2. Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen: Dear Microsoft Community,I'm having trouble every time after I lock the screen with Ctrl + L, my notepad file keeps closing automatically while other programs remain open.It's very annoying that I have keep opening them manually again and again.Please help....
  3. Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad Program Closes After Computer Lock Screen: Dear Microsoft Community,I'm having trouble every time after I lock the screen with Ctrl + L, my notepad file keeps closing automatically while other programs remain open.It's very annoying that I have keep opening them manually again and again.Please help....
  4. When I start my computer, all access to it is closed because of the "Recovery" screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    When I start my computer, all access to it is closed because of the "Recovery" screen: After not having any problems, my computer HP OMEN 15-dc0006la suddenly opened to a blue screen that said "Recovery", A required device is not connected or cannot be accessed:Error code: 0xc0000185I tried to make the recovery to install a Windows 10 media installer on a USB...
  5. Lock Screen is closing all of the programs

Lock Screen is closing all of the programs: So, Here is what is happening whenever I lock my computer after logging back in after 5 minutes it takes a little time more than usual to go to the password screen and it takes time after entering the password than usual. The worse thing is that it closes all the open...
  6. Computer freezes or crashes when closing Programs or Games

in Windows 10 News
    Computer freezes or crashes when closing Programs or Games: While most problems are known to happen while running an application or programs, many have also reported that their Computer freezes or crashes when closing Programs or Games. This pretty much boggles the mind on why the computer would crash, sometimes immediately and...
  7. Close all running programs

Close all running programs: Windows Live Mail has not downloaded any emails from our email server Earthlink since 9/16/2020 which suspiciously happen after I did the feature update to Windows 10, version 2004. One of the steps for the fix is to close all running programs which I am not sure how to do....
  8. All Programs close on sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All Programs close on sleep: On my laptop when I open the lid all of the programs are shut off, my keyboard lights are off and it takes a few minutes to log in and open up. It appears that when I close the lid and re-open it is just like turning the power on. I close lid for 30 seconds and then I am 5...
  9. All programs close when I lock my laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All programs close when I lock my laptop: submitted by /u/timothy5597 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ggb122/all_programs_close_when_i_lock_my_laptop/
  10. All UWP apps close after I lock the computer then unlock the computer

All UWP apps close after I lock the computer then unlock the computer: After I lock my computer, then unlock it, all UWP apps have closed including Edge, Calendar, OneNote etc. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/all-uwp-apps-close-after-i-lock-the-computer-then/356bed80-e0f4-4a13-91e2-1b4e50e84e3f

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 lock computer and close other programs

2. app close after pc lock