Windows 10: All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted.

Discus and support All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; For some reason my Windows 10 Desktop computer can't seem to keep any restore points. I manually create a restore point, and it seems they get deleted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by John London, Jan 5, 2020.

1. All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted.

For some reason my Windows 10 Desktop computer can't seem to keep any restore points. I manually create a restore point, and it seems they get deleted right away. All Restore points, not just a few.

System restore has been enabled on all drives, there is plenty of space, and I am able to successfully manually create a restore point. I have also noticed that sometimes restore points are created ok when some new software is installed. However, all restore points get deleted pretty quick.

I have run chkdsk /f, sfc /scannow, made sure the Shadow Volume copy is set to automatic and is running, deleted the system pagefile.sys and created another copy, all without success.

I can't find any programs that might be deleting the files. I have CCleaner installed but it is not setup to delete these files, and the people over there say it doesn't do it anyway. I have uninstalled the program and the problem persists.

I am attaching some screen shots of my system restore configuration showing a manually create restore point that has been deleted within hours. The last picture shows the new restore point I just created to try and test the system again. Notice how the previous restore point is gone.

Any Help would be appreciated!

All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. c9bd08e6-4307-418c-9ca0-53c58c0f9d0e?upload=true.jpg All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. 43d4180c-a64a-44da-980a-1122118dab4c?upload=true.jpg All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. 5f0b9f19-6f07-4b25-96c7-0dfcc8e456e8?upload=true.jpg All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. 0f29d875-cb5e-40fc-90ef-2ef7be4c32c7?upload=true.jpg

:)

John London, Jan 5, 2020
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CAll Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CAll Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Jan 5, 2020
  3. Compumind Win User
    Restore points being deleted

Hi.

If you have a complete backup image, I would clear all your restore points first.

The deletion of restore points are generally caused by any one of the following by-design conditions:

1) You run out of disk space on the system drive or on any one of the available non-system drives, and System Restore stops responding and stops monitoring your system.
    2) You manually turn System Restore off. (not in your case.)
    3) A restore point reaches an age of 90 days. The restore point is then deleted because 90 days is the default time to live.

To resolve this, adjust the maximum storage allocation. Follow the steps listed below:

1) Press Windows key + W on the keyboard to search Settings, type “System” in the Search box and then click System from the list of results.
    2) Click System protection in the task pane.
    3) Under Protection Settings click to select Local Disk (CAll Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. :) (System) and then click Configure.
    4) Under Disk Space Usage, move the Max Usage slider to the right to increase the disk space usage for System Restore points.

Note: If the protection is turned on for additional drives you might consider increasing the Max Usage for those drives as well.

Does this help you?

*Think

Compumind, Jan 5, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted.

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

I know of no easier way to delete them, so here are the instructions.

A System Image restore point is describe as type 'Backup'.

All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. [​IMG]

First, go to Settings > Backup & Restore > Recovery and select the 'Restart now' button in Advanced Start-up.

When you get Advanced Start-up, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Command Prompt.

You will be asked to choose an administrator account and supply it's password, then the Command Prompt will open.

Type the commands DISKPART then LIST VOL and EXIT to see a list of all drives, in this example the Windows system is on the C: drive, yours may have a different letter. Whatever the letter is, type it followed by a colon to switch to that drive, in this example I typed C:

Then use the CD (change directory) command CD System Volume Information\WindowsImageBackup

Use the DIR command to check you are in the right folder, then use DEL to delete the contents of each of the Catalog and SPPMetadataCache folders.

Youn can now close the command prompt window (or type EXIT) to restart the PC and go back to Windows.

All System Image Restore points of type 'Backup' will now have gone.

Bree, Jan 5, 2020
Thema:

All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted.

1. All Restore Points Keep Getting Deleted. - Similar Threads - Restore Points Keep

2. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  3. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  4. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Restore Points deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points deleted: I like having restore points to deal with the periodic Microsoft Windows 10 glitches. I understand that for whatever unfathomable reason Microsoft has decided that we can't keep restore points for more than 90 days. I thought that the obvious workaround was to just to...
  6. stuck at deleting all restore points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    stuck at deleting all restore points: hi there, My device is stuck at deleting all restore points as in the screenshot. How to fix it? It happened before but forgot how it got[ATTACH] fixed....
  7. OK to delete ALL Restore Points?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    OK to delete ALL Restore Points?: I uninstalled McAfee Total Protection..., and ran their cleanup tool (Huge!). I want to install MBAM, but want system to release these old McAfee Restore Point files first! In the old XP days- I opened "Create a Restore Point Twice/Deleted All Restore Points/Reboot.- Is it...
  8. Windows 10 keeps deleting all restore points

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 keeps deleting all restore points: I noticed it when my laptop failed to start windows so I tried to restore it to an earlier point but to my surprise there was none even tho I created it manual and there were automatic restore points because system protection is turned on. So i was forced to do a clean...
  9. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...
  10. System restore deleted all restore points.

in Windows 10 Support
    System restore deleted all restore points.: Hello Yesterday my laptop had an update, im not even sure what kind of. Since the update i started experiencing visual bugs in video games. Of course i thought its in-game problem, but it wasn't. I checked the system restore, and I tried to restore my laptop to one day...