Windows 10: All screens are small when returning from screensaver

Discus and support All screens are small when returning from screensaver in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I use a 32" LED TV as a monitor. I have for the last 4 years happily through Windows 7 and 8.1. Since moving over to Windows 10 if I walk away from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by louwin, Sep 24, 2015.

1. louwin Win User

All screens are small when returning from screensaver

I use a 32" LED TV as a monitor. I have for the last 4 years happily through Windows 7 and 8.1.

Since moving over to Windows 10 if I walk away from my desktop for an extended period my screen is switched off as I expect but, when i jiggle my mouse the screen wakes up okay but ALL my screens have been resized much smaller.

This effects Firefox (full screen), Skype and even my 4 screens on my Arduino microprocessor IDE.

I have my display setting to "turn off after 30 minutes" and "sleep" never. Strangely it has to be much longer than that for the effect to happen. If I go away for, say, 50 minutes. Come back, jiggle the mouse - everything comes back okay. But if I go away for 90 minutes or more, for instance, all the screens are semi minimised when I jiggle mouse and the monitor (TV) wakes up. *cry

Not earth shattering but very annoying to have to resize all my screens every time. I have checked all my settings (they are unchanged for years) and it never happened before I updated to W10. *Rolleyes

Sorry, saw the debugging bit but not the BSOD. Can't see how to delete this thread *Biggrin

Marked thread as solved as I can't see how to delete it *Sad

:)

louwin, Sep 24, 2015

2. Blank screen on return from screensaver

Problem solved by finding a free on-line photogallery screensaver and replacing Windows Live version. Same settings needed so no problems setting up.

StephenTansey, Sep 24, 2015
  3. Blank screen on return from screensaver

This link is for blank screen on downloading windows 10 not on return from screensaver

StephenTansey, Sep 24, 2015
  4. blueelvis Win User

Hi louwin & Welcome to the forums ^_^,

Don't worry. It is fine.

I searched for your problem and I found the below post. I have quoted it below -
    Source - Windows 7 resizes my open programs when waking from screen saver or - Microsoft Community

See if the above registry fix works or not.

Also make sure that you have updated your graphics drivers and all Windows Updates (Even Optional ones) have been downloaded.

Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

blueelvis, Sep 24, 2015
  5. louwin Win User
    Thanks Pranav,

This looks like my solution *chuckle *Smile

A newbie question.... How do I get into the registry in Windows 10???? I've looked (and searched) but can't find it. I will search the forum now *really

Okay, done it! *Smile

Now to go and watch TV and see if it happens again (couple of hours....)

Thanks for your help

louwin, Sep 25, 2015
  6. blueelvis Win User
    Sure thing. Let me know how it goes ^_^

-Pranav

blueelvis, Sep 25, 2015
  7. louwin Win User
    Sorry to say it didn't fix it.

Firefox stayed the same (right) size but all the other screens resized smaller as before *cry

I also noticed that setting filters in Yahoo, the text was fairly jumbled.... *Sad

Back to the drawing board....

louwin, Sep 26, 2015
  8. blueelvis Win User

Hi Louwin ^_^,

Could you please provide me with a screenshot of the below registry key expanded in Registry Editor?

Code: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration\[/quote]
    -Pranav

blueelvis, Sep 27, 2015
  9. louwin Win User
    -Pranav[/quote] Hi Pranav,

Please find 2 attachments-
    1) a screensnap of a Foxit document straight out of my email, it is an invoice. See how garbled it is.
    2) the registry snap you requested.

I read the MS link and SIMULATED is the only one my registry has.

Thanks in anticipation,

louwin, Sep 28, 2015
  10. blueelvis Win User
    Hi Louwin ^_^,

How come your display configuration has got so many keys? All screens are small when returning from screensaver o_O

Have you tried uninstalling the Display Drivers completely and then installing them again?

-Pranav

blueelvis, Sep 30, 2015
  11. louwin Win User
    Sorry Pranav,

I didn't know my drivers were any different from anybody else's *Sad

I have used this setup through Windows 7 to Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10 over more than 4 years.... *Cool

Upgrading all the way. Never re-installing. Maybe the drivers have accumulated?

I have never considered re-installing the drivers because, until recently, everything worked perfectly and I didn't know anything was wrong. Until I upgraded to Windows 10 that is *Sad

I now hesitate from doing this as the thought of uninstalling the graphics driver would leave me with no display (and NO vision?)? So how would I reinstall blind?

Also, how do I know uninstalling my driver WOULD uninstall ALL the drivers you suggest I have? Wouldn't it just uninstall the one being used and re-install the same leaving all the others anyway?

Thanks for your response *Biggrin

louwin, Oct 1, 2015
  12. louwin Win User
    I think my problem is solved. *Wink

In the ...SIMULATED folder there is an "OO" folder within another "OO" folder.

I HAD changed the keys in the deeper folder and the problem persisted.

In desperation I looked in the top "OO" folder and found the same keys in THERE. I changed those too and my system has survived one screensaver switch off so I suspect the problem is solved *Think *Cool *Party

Thanks Pranav

louwin, Oct 4, 2015
  13. blueelvis Win User

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Sorry for the late response. I had my exams going on. Glad to see that you resolved the problem. Moreover, thanks a lot for posting back the solution which worked for you *Smile

-Pranav

blueelvis, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. All screens are small when returning from screensaver - Similar Threads - screens are small

2. Play one small WAV file and return

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Play one small WAV file and return: Somewhere in Windows there's a routine used by startup, shutdown, and error notifications to play a small WAV sound and return without any other features or interaction.Please say what header file has the function prototype, what DLL has the executable, and show a C usage...
  3. Play one small WAV file and return

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Play one small WAV file and return: Somewhere in Windows there's a routine used by startup, shutdown, and error notifications to play a small WAV sound and return without any other features or interaction.Please say what header file has the function prototype, what DLL has the executable, and show a C usage...
  4. Change screen brightness when switching to screensaver

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Change screen brightness when switching to screensaver: Is there a way to make it so that my brightness is set to just below max when my screensaver comes on? At the minute, i can't see the image very well cause of the brightness, and I'd rather not have to manually set it and change the brightness for the whole screen....
  5. Internet Windows Unresponsive for A Minute or So After Returning From ScreenSaver

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Windows Unresponsive for A Minute or So After Returning From ScreenSaver: Greetings, First, thanks for any assistance you can give. It's much appreciated. I have a PC with an i5, 8GB memory, and dual drive HDD, and SDD. I have Windows 10.0.18363 build 18363. For some time now, maybe 6 months roughly, when my computer goes into screensaver, I...
  6. Edge starts when returning from screen saver, etc

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edge starts when returning from screen saver, etc: Could someone please tell me, once and for all, how to stop edge from starting when I return from a locked screen. I also don't want it started under ANY circumstances. This is my PC. Not microsoft's. I've tried different things I found on the web and I guess they aren't...
  7. Old screensaver returned after factory reset.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Old screensaver returned after factory reset.: After my pc had slowed down considerably I decided it was time to reset. I chose the “Remove Everything” option and everything went smoothly, and when it booted up I was met with a blank canvas. However today I restarted my laptop and after logging in I was met by my old...
  8. remove a 3D screensaver from my screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove a 3D screensaver from my screen: how do I do this??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_screensave/remove-a-3d-screensaver-from-my-screen/f934608b-3974-414b-97de-c33da5fa95bd
  9. Audio programs fail after computer returns from screensaver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio programs fail after computer returns from screensaver: This problem has been driving me crazy. After my laptop goes to screensaver, the music continues to play, when I enter my pin it will stop and hitting the play button keeps it on zero with no playback. It would also happen that if I had an Aux cable connected and...
  10. All screens are small when returning from screensaver

in Windows 10 Support
    All screens are small when returning from screensaver: I use a 32" LED TV as a monitor. I have for the last 4 years happily through Windows 7 and 8.1. Since moving over to Windows 10 if I walk away from my desktop for an extended period my screen is switched off as I expect but, when i jiggle my mouse the screen wakes up okay...