Windows 10: all sorts of problems w/ Explorer

Discus and support all sorts of problems w/ Explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello to the Microsoft Community. I do not know if my computer has been infected by a virus or something, but I've been having problems w/ my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mikayla Williams, Aug 31, 2019.

1. all sorts of problems w/ Explorer

Hello to the Microsoft Community.

I do not know if my computer has been infected by a virus or something, but I've been having problems w/ my Explorer. A few months ago I am having major problems with my Explorer such as not being able to open up images and not being able to use the "Open With" tab on my Explorer. When I would want to view an image or use "Open With" my Explorer will freeze and I would have to restart my Explorer through Task Manager. At one point I was not able to create any new folders, as it would also freeze my Explorer. I do not know what is causing this situation. I've cleared my computer from viruses with both Norton and Malwarebytes, yet my computer is still suffering from these problems. I do not know if it is because my computer is really old (trust me, it really is) or if it is an overload in storage (my storage capacity is near 1 terabyte and the amount of GB used is less than 50%). Whatever it is, I would like to know if there is anything I can do to prevent these problems.

Thanks in advance.

My computer:

DELL Inspiron ONE2330 (5-6 years)

RAM: 6.00 GB

Processor: Intel Core i5-3340S

64-bit OS

:)

Mikayla Williams, Aug 31, 2019
  2. cereberus Win User

Sorting with File Explorer.

I tried the method that was complicated (3rd option) but fell over in second step as I could not find any "apply to folder button"'.

However, the simple put *.* in search bar, then sort results windows by date does the trick. It is slightly cumbersome as I have to do that each time I am selecting files (to upload to sharepoint) but a lot less hassle than I was having to scroll up and down between sorted file block and sorted folder block.

Many thanks.

M.

cereberus, Aug 31, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Aug 31, 2019
  4. all sorts of problems w/ Explorer

sort folders and files in explorer

Hi Greg,

You can filter the folders and files in File Explorer using the Sort by option. To best address your concern, we need you to answer the following questions:

• What do you mean when you mentioned “files sorted by latest first”?
    • You mentioned that you were able to perform it before, which Windows version were you using that time?
    • Can you provide us a detailed description of what you would like to perform?

In the meantime, you can try the following steps:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Click the Drive where the files and folders are saved.
    • Under Current view, click Sort by.
    • Select Name if you would like to sort it alphabetically. Choose
      Date modified or Date created if you wanted to sort it by date. Refer to the image below.

all sorts of problems w/ Explorer ea8092d2-1503-4ff9-b2a2-42100640d71c.png

Please take note that you can’t apply two filters at a time.

Looking forward for your response.

Kristine Arp, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

all sorts of problems w/ Explorer

1. all sorts of problems w/ Explorer - Similar Threads - sorts problems Explorer

2. wrong sorting in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wrong sorting in explorer: Sorting in explorer is wrongAnyone can solve it?Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wrong-sorting-in-explorer/ac70ff36-35f3-40bc-8f78-c3f5851046c1
  3. Windows 11 File Explorer Sort Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 File Explorer Sort Problem: Hi, I’m working with folders that have large numbers of photos, up to 20,000. However, every time I open file explorer, the files are unsorted. Even though I have a very fast computer it still takes 15 minutes to sort the folder before working on it. This makes working with...
  4. Windows 11 File Explorer Sort Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 File Explorer Sort Problem: Hi, I’m working with folders that have large numbers of photos, up to 20,000. However, every time I open file explorer, the files are unsorted. Even though I have a very fast computer it still takes 15 minutes to sort the folder before working on it. This makes working with...
  5. Wireless Adapter is causing all sorts of problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wireless Adapter is causing all sorts of problems: Hello guys I really need your help. I recently noticed that my PC isn't working as intended and for some reason it always looks like these problems are linked to my wireless adapter. For example it disconnects randomly and when I reboot the PC (sorry I'm not very good with PC...
  6. Explorer Not Showing All Desktop w/ Shortcuts Problem!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Explorer Not Showing All Desktop w/ Shortcuts Problem!: Normally on Windows 10, when I click 'Explorer' icon it shows files/folders but no shortcuts on my Desktop View! So I'm checking to see how to change this so I see my complete Desktop view of icons, just so I know what's there and not hidden in Explorer! What I found is that...
  7. Windows explorer sorting problem with numbers and letters

Windows explorer sorting problem with numbers and letters: Hello In my windows explorer my automatically generated file name is as follow: it uses a combination of numbers and letters as seen below. it starts with numbers from 1-9 and then continues with letters from A-F. So for example the next file name after 20019 would be...
  8. Having all sorts of weird problems

Having all sorts of weird problems: I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm having all sorts of issues with my PC and windows. 1) I can't access the control panel -- either by hitting the Window key or by clicking on the tool bar. 2) I can't download Word Docs (.docx) format. 3) I can't access Edge at all...
  9. File explorer sort all folders/directories the same

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer sort all folders/directories the same: All i want to do is to sort all directories across windows 10 the same as a directory I have already sorted the way I want all of them to look like. In other words i have manually sorted a directory the way i want all of them across my computer to look like. Seems like I've...
  10. All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    All sorts of problems on unexpected reboot: This morning my computer rebooted for no apparent reason. Then a screen said "Please wait" without the harddrive activity light doing anything for a half hour. I pushed the power button and the computer went off. I pushed it again and nothing happened, repeatedly. I...