Windows 10: all the space draining from the ssd main drive for weird reason

Discus and support all the space draining from the ssd main drive for weird reason in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Okay, so i had this weird issue and not exactly sure what causing this. I had 7gb free space only left on my hard drive so, i moved one of my large... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MiaQuickening, Mar 29, 2020.

1. all the space draining from the ssd main drive for weird reason

Okay, so i had this weird issue and not exactly sure what causing this. I had 7gb free space only left on my hard drive so, i moved one of my large games size of 40gb to another drive.. and for my surprise after it was done and i checked file explorer my c drive only showed 25 gb total of space left, while i was assuming it was going to be 47gb!! I am not sure what is causing this, its really weird in my personal view, i didnt had any large updates on background or anything reasonable that could have been causing this issue. Although i had this thing happening for me that while i played large, graphically consuming games my c drive space would drain 140-300mb, and then when i quit the game hard drive would then show the original 7gb space. If anyone have ideas what could have been causing this and where the all space was going i would surely appreciate.

submitted by /u/MiaQuickening
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MiaQuickening, Mar 29, 2020

2. Size of "C:/system volume information" file size jumping to +9Gb for no reasons on an SSD drive

In your subject line you said this:

Size of "C:/system volume information" file size jumping to +9Gb for no reasons on an SSD drive

This statement is incorrect. The TreeSize picture you posted says that this folder consumes 4.3 MBytes. This is 2,000 times less than what you think.

Here are the folders that consume the most disk space:

• 10.3 GBytes - Program files
    • 24.2 GBytes - Windows
    • 6.5 GBytes - Users
    This is very reasonable and represents no cause for concern.

Frederik Long, Mar 29, 2020
  3. Lost space of Pen Drive

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you.

• Have you tried connecting to a different computer?
    I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

First back up all the data from your USB drive to another location.

I suggest you to connect the USB flash drive to a different computer and check.

Let us try the following steps, and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to refresh the drive letter and then try to rescan the drives that are connect to the computer and check.

To refresh drive letter:

• Open Computer Management (Local).
    • In the console tree, click Computer Management (Local), click
      Storage, and then click Disk Management.
    • Click Action, and then click Refresh.
    • Once you have refreshed connect the new zip drive and to update hardware information, click Rescan Disks instead.
    Step 2: For unallocated space on USB drive

• Press the Windows key, and type Diskpart.

• Click the result to open the DiskPart command prompt window.

• In the command prompt window, type list disk and hit Enter.

• The removable USB drive or hard disk will be shown under
      Disk 1.

• Type in the following commands and hit Enter.
    select disk 1

Clean

create partition primary

• The first command selects your removable USB drive.

• The Clean command deletes all the current partitions present on the USB drive.

• The Create primary partition creates a fresh partition and allocates all the unallocated space on this fresh partition.

• Type Exit to close the command prompt window.

• Unplug your USB drive and plug it back again.

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status, we are glad to assist you further.

Abdul_Malik, Mar 29, 2020
  4. HLL_544 Win User

all the space draining from the ssd main drive for weird reason

Saving free space on SSD (Regarding multiple obligatory partitions on main drive)

Gerry Here just copy-paste some irrelevant response.

Well, **I've figured it out**. Here my solution (I Take no responsibility from any damage that might arise from this process, and I do not guarantee it to work for u.)

We'll assume u have 2 disks; SSD and HDD.

Also NOTE: I Work in a GPT-Disk partitioning scheme, I don't know if it's applicable on dos-style MBR partitioning.

General-methodology wich we are going to work with (or TL;DR).

• Delete all partitions on all drive
    • Install Windows on the HDD Drive
    • Install Windows on the SSD Drive (yes, twice!)
    • Repartition the HDD to free up and reallocate as we wish (The only parition that HAVE to be there is the EUFI System (Fat) )
    • After freeing up HDD space, move user folder to the HDD
    • PROFIT
    And in more detail:

THIS GUIDE ASSUME THIS IS A FRESH PC - THAT U DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING U NEED ON EITHER DISKS.

* - Asterisk, not a real step, just additional information

• Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Clear ALL partitions on BOTH drives
    • Let windows install itself onto the HDD, We'll call this installation win-hdd
      • There is no need to actually boot into this OS.
    • Boot into windows 10 installation
    • Let windows install itself onto the SSD. We'll call this installation win-ssd
      • *What would happen now, Is that windows detects the recovery and eufi partitions and does not need to create such additional partitions on your ssd. It would only create a 16MB windows reserved partition.
      • *Your boot partition would be hdd/eufi; But since windows detect it's own bootloader it would allow you to duel-boot between win-hdd and win-ssd(default)
    • Optional: During windows-ssd first run wizard switch to audit mode (CTRL+SHIFT+F3)
      • *We would use audit mode to:
        • * Optional1: Repartition hdd
        • * Optional2: Change "Users" folder to the hdd.
        • * If u do not want to move Users folder, u can do 6.2 After win-ssd fully boots instead
      • Repartition hdd & move Users folder:
        • Using a 3rd party tool such as "MiniTool Partition Wizard" you can do the fallowing *as you wish*:
          • Delete win-hdd partition
          • Delete recovery-hdd partition
          • Delete windows reserved (16 mb) partition.
          • You can also later move the EUFI to the start of the hdd disk, if needed
          • Create new partition (free to use) on hdd.
          • Make sure to properly assign drive letters to all drive as u wish
          • Fallow
            this guide
            to relocate the User folder (Starting from Step 2)
    • Boot into windows-ssd; If u do not know which one (int the OS selection screen) It's safe to assume that the automatically-selected one is the win-ssd.
    • If u have not performed 6.2 Yet, this is the time to do that now.
    GLHF.

HLL_544, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

all the space draining from the ssd main drive for weird reason

1. all the space draining from the ssd main drive for weird reason - Similar Threads - space draining ssd

2. Hard drive space draining everyday

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive space draining everyday: Hi, I have a hard drive space of 256GB. Windows 10 is installed, along with Linux Ubuntu.I don't have any significant programs installed. One game and the usual library contents.Free space was usually at 25GB, it's currently at 18GB.Every day the space becomes less. I lose...
  3. Hard drive space draining everyday

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive space draining everyday: Hi, I have a hard drive space of 256GB. Windows 10 is installed, along with Linux Ubuntu.I don't have any significant programs installed. One game and the usual library contents.Free space was usually at 25GB, it's currently at 18GB.Every day the space becomes less. I lose...
  4. Hard drive space draining everyday

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Weird battery drain on sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird battery drain on sleep: My laptop seems to drain about 40-50% battery overnight on sleep some days.The sleep study reports of my laptop are attached below. The first image is of when the battery got drained and the second image is of the day when it didn't.I'm not able to figure out what is actually...
  6. Weird battery drain on sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird battery drain on sleep: My laptop seems to drain about 40-50% battery overnight on sleep some days.The sleep study reports of my laptop are attached below. The first image is of when the battery got drained and the second image is of the day when it didn't.I'm not able to figure out what is actually...
  7. Weird battery drain on sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. SSD Drive Full for unknown reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD Drive Full for unknown reason: I have a 240GB SSD C: which I have only installed MS Office to. Yesterday my C: was showing over 12GB of free storage and today it says that the drive is close to full. In that time I have browsed the internet nothing heavy and no downloading and used a few office...
  9. SSD's space being taken up for no reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSD's space being taken up for no reason: Hi, I'm having a problem. Every day, my SSD fills up with 3 or more GB when I haven't even installed anything in ages; the only thing I'm doing is updating steam games which aren't even on my C drive, they are on my D drive.<br />For example, yesterday I had 360GB free, but...
  10. Lenovo ideapad 300 - Windows 10 draining main drive space.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo ideapad 300 - Windows 10 draining main drive space.: The hard drive in this laptop is huge and although I keep large files it has plenty of free space normally. Only after the last time I had to reboot due to a blue screen OneDrive did not sync as it used to leaving the hard drive with less than half its normal size. I resorted...