Windows 10: All usb devices flicker on and off when doing certain things

Discus and support All usb devices flicker on and off when doing certain things in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently built this computer and it has been happening the entire time. What will happen is if I do certain things, all usb devices will turn on off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jcubshor, Apr 20, 2021.

1. jcubshor Win User

All usb devices flicker on and off when doing certain things

I recently built this computer and it has been happening the entire time. What will happen is if I do certain things, all usb devices will turn on off and repeatedly. This is everything from keyboard/mouse to rgb on my fans. The most common time this will happen is when I launch CSGO. Sometimes it'll flicker for less than a minutes, other times it'll keep going for five to ten minutes before just staying off and I have to reboot. It usually only happens when I'm running a game/software. It hasn't happened when I'm just browsing internet.

So far I have tried:

- making sure the os can't turn off usb to save power

- fresh installing windows

My build:

- CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

- MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 3.8

- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 AMP Holo

- CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 2 x 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200

- Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express

Note there are also 9 QL120 fans in the build all hooked up through an NZXT internal usb hub

The usb controller have listed in device manager are:

- AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 Microsoft

- AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 Microsoft

- Generic USB Hub

- Generic USB Hub

- Generic USB Hub

- Generic USB Hub
    - USB Composite Device

- USB Composite Device

- USB Composite Device

- USB Composite Device

- USB Root Hub USB 3.0

- USB Root Hub USB 3.0

Thanks for your help

:)

jcubshor, Apr 20, 2021

2. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Apr 20, 2021
  3. Power to usb devices flickers briefly

About once every few minutes the power momentarily gets cut to one of my connected USB devices. It causes my keyboard input to hang briefly and my mouse input to break entirely until I remove and reconnect it. I can see it happen as the backlighting on my keyboard or mouse will briefly flicker off.
    What I know about this issue is:

• it happens any time my computer is up and running
    • as long as more than one usb device is connected it will never not happen but can be less frequent depending on what I have connected. Until recently I was using a specific mouse and keyboard that kept the problem pretty infrequent but theyre both dated now and the new ones i own cause the issue to happen much more often
    • it only affects one out of any number of connected usb devices at a time
    • the only thing that changes which device it affects is if I unplug some and reconnect them in different usb outlets
    • it happens on every usb port on my device, the 3.0 and 3.1 ports built directly into my motherboard (Gigabyte x99 designare ex) and the 3.0 and 2.0 ports on the case
    • it isn't a problem with a specific usb port I can connect devices to any set of the usb ports on my computer and one of them will exhibit the problem
    • it sometimes takes an extra minute or so from when i first reboot my computer to when the problem starts
    • if I have devices connected to the same set of ports the same specific port will have the problem every time. I have not yet experimented to see which port is affected by every combination of connected usb devices i can give it but the issue is consistent on that level
    • the problem is only present when windows is active I have left my keyboard and mouse connected while sitting on my BIOS screen for a good 20 minutes and seen no flickering

What I have tried unsuccessfully to fix this so far:

• connecting multiple different wired keyboards and mice to the computer: the issue is present regardless so i doubt it's a problem with any of my specific usb devices
    • uninstalling, reinstalling, and rolling back every driver related to every usb device and usb root hub and input: this has done nothing so far
    • testing my devices on other computers: no problems here again i don't think it's a hardware issue
    • checking my wiring connections for the case usb ports
    • disabling windows' usb selective suspend feature
    • disabling windows' ability to turn off devices and usb ports for power saving specifically in each driver properties window and overall in power plan settings

My computer for reference:

• Windows 10 pro, I've kept windows up to date since long before the issue cropped up which was around the end of summer 2017
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte X99 Designare EX
    • CPU: Intel i7 6850k
    • Ram: 32gb

the old keyboard and mouse i used that only flickered once every couple of hours were a 2014 razer blackwidow and an old logitech mouse, the newer devices i've replaced them with have made the issue much worse but at the same time they have no problems working on any other computer so i don't think they're at fault for the problem

DroolSpout, Apr 20, 2021
  4. All usb devices flicker on and off when doing certain things

Screen flickers with any Windows device

Hello Marcus,

To address your concern, we suggest that you check the list of troubleshooting steps provided on this
    article.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marvin Barc, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

All usb devices flicker on and off when doing certain things

1. All usb devices flicker on and off when doing certain things - Similar Threads - usb devices flicker

2. Laptop screen flickers on and off when scrolling over certain videos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop screen flickers on and off when scrolling over certain videos: Whenever I scroll over certain videos my screen flickers on and off repeatedly. It's been like this for multiple windows updates and keeps happening. I opened up task manager at the same time, and google chrome flickers but not task manager....
  3. Laptop screen flickers on and off when scrolling over certain videos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop screen flickers on and off when scrolling over certain videos: Whenever I scroll over certain videos my screen flickers on and off repeatedly. It's been like this for multiple windows updates and keeps happening. I opened up task manager at the same time, and google chrome flickers but not task manager....
  4. Laptop screen flickers on and off when scrolling over certain videos

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Audio devices keep flickering on and off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio devices keep flickering on and off: Whenever I try to plug in a headset via USB, it will flicker from disabled to enabled over and over again and very quickly. I have tried updating the drivers of each headset, updating/uninstalling all audio drivers, updating/uninstalling the USB drivers, checking for hardware...
  6. Code 0x80072F8F Unable to do certain things

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Code 0x80072F8F Unable to do certain things: I have recently changed the date and time settings on my computer and since then, I have been unable to download or update apps on my computer through the Microsoft Store, and I have been unable to check for updates on my computer because of Error Code 0x80072F8F. I have...
  7. certain keys are doing random things

certain keys are doing random things: my right arrow key keeps tying in random things, my numpad #1 keeps exiting me out of everything even when I hold FN when pressing it . Ive tried reinstalling the keyboard driver, troubleshooting everything and nothing seems to fix it. I have also updated my computer to the...
  8. certain tabs flicker

certain tabs flicker: My problem is difficult to describe, but certain tabs flicker when I open them on my laptop. It happens when using drop down menus in games and when trying to view emails on the mail app most notably. Also when I open the power menu, the sleep option looks like it vibrates....
  9. Relatively new build freezing when i do certain things

Relatively new build freezing when i do certain things: So I recently buit a new PC, parts list here: AMD FX-8350, Sapphire Radeon R9 270X, NZXT Guardian 921 RB - System Build - PCPartPicker and it worked flawlessly for a while, until a few weeks ago. Now, any time I watch a stream on twitch.tv or a video on youtube, it will...
  10. Screen sometimes goes black when doing certain things

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen sometimes goes black when doing certain things: I had to reinstall Windows 10 a little while ago, and since I did, there have been some oddities involving black screens.I installed Windows 10 from a flash drive, which worked fine. Then I immediately tried to install the Creators update. On the installation screen after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. usb ports flickering on and off