Windows 10: All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

Discus and support All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; * I previously posted this in /r/techsupport but did not get any solutions to the problem * I've had this Windows 10 computer for about 3-4 years now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GeeohhS, Jun 28, 2020.

1. All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

* I previously posted this in /r/techsupport but did not get any solutions to the problem *

I've had this Windows 10 computer for about 3-4 years now and up until a few days ago it was working perfectly fine with no problems.

Yesterday, my computer wouldn't detect my PS3 controller (which it normally does), so I restarted my PC hoping it would fix it, only to discover that none of the USB ports were working at the windows start screen. This also included my mouse, keyboard, iphone charger, etc. No matter which ports I tried using, none of them worked. However, when I went to the bios screen, both my mouse and keyboard were able to work fine again.

Eventually, I got my keyboard/ mouse to work by unplugging a random USB device (my mouse for instance) and plugging it back, which made it work as normal. However, this continues to happen every time I reboot my computer meaning its not just a 1 time fluke. So far I've tried:

• Updating my USB drivers (says they're up to date)
    • Attempted to un-install/ re-install USB drivers (doesn't let me uninstall and gets stuck)
    • Updated Windows (says its up to date)
    • Rebooted my computer in Safe Mode (issue still occurs)

How can I fix this so everything works normally again? I have read other similar problems online that this is most likely a driver issue but so far nothing has worked

submitted by /u/GeeohhS
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GeeohhS, Jun 28, 2020

2. usb keyboard and mouse not working, unless unplug and plug it back

Hi,

I apologize for not addressing you in a timely manner. Let me help you in resolving the issue.

I suggest you to Disable and re-enable all the
    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    (USB) controllers.

The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:

a) Open Device Manager.

b) Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

c) Note: You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.

d) Right-click the first USB controller under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers
    , and then click Uninstall to remove it.

e) Repeat the above step for each USB controller that is listed under
    Universal Serial Bus controllers.

f) Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and

g) Reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted on Windows related queries and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jun 28, 2020
  3. USB devices not working after Device Manager spring clean

The USB ports started failing intermittently again and then permanently.

Reinstalled 1703 again and that fixed it for a while then they started failing again.

When I plug in any peripheral it shows up in device manager with the exclamation mark.

I right-click 'update driver'
    Choose 'browse my computer...'
    'Let me pick from a list of...'
    Select the best candidate

Then the device will work. Until it is unplugged and plugged in again...

Then we are back to square one for that device.

Are there any suggestions for kicking the USB hub back to life so it recognises ordinary USB devices like mouses and keyboards without a manual driver update?

mojorising, Jun 28, 2020
  4. All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

Unplugged USB devices no longer work when plugged back in

I've noticed a recent problem with a desktop running Windows 10 lately. My mouse and keyboard are both USB (both are Microsoft). When I boot up the computer, the two devices work fine. However, when I unplug either device and plug it back in (swap a mouse
    to another computer, for example), the device no longer works. I end up having to reboot the computer before the USB devices work again. This is incredibly annoying and didn't used to happen. I don't unplug my devices often so I'm not sure exactly when an
    updated broke this.

This is a custom SSF computer with an Intel Core i5 (4th gen), Gigabyte motherboard and nVidia GPU.

Anyone had this issue? How do I troubleshoot something like this?

jkang12345, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

1. All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in - Similar Threads - USB devices stop

2. My keyboard randomly stops working unless I unplug and plug it back in again.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My keyboard randomly stops working unless I unplug and plug it back in again.: Running the troubleshooter says no issues were found, and if I try to give feedback, it says "An error occurred while troubleshooting. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue." Checking to update drivers says they're up to date....
  3. My keyboard randomly stops working unless I unplug and plug it back in again.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My keyboard randomly stops working unless I unplug and plug it back in again.: Running the troubleshooter says no issues were found, and if I try to give feedback, it says "An error occurred while troubleshooting. The troubleshooting wizard can't continue." Checking to update drivers says they're up to date....
  4. My keyboard randomly stops working unless I unplug and plug it back in again.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.: I have a need to plug and unplug my USB mouse every once in a while, but it seems that if I do it 5 times the time intervals don't matter, the device mouse stops being responsive after I plug it back in for the 6th time, and only works again if I restart my PC. I assume this...
  6. USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.: I have a need to plug and unplug my USB mouse every once in a while, but it seems that if I do it 5 times the time intervals don't matter, the device mouse stops being responsive after I plug it back in for the 6th time, and only works again if I restart my PC. I assume this...
  7. USB mouse stops working after unplugging and plugging back in 5 times.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. USB device not recognized error although nothing plugged in / all devices work if plugged in

USB device not recognized error although nothing plugged in / all devices work if plugged in: Hello dear community : I have a problem with my HP laptop 15-dw1xxx with a Intel core i5-10210U 1.60 GHz, MS Windows 10 home, 64bit. Suddenly, I got the notification "USB device not recognized" although no USB device has been changed in that moment. Besides, there is the...
  9. USB microphone won't register unless unplugged and re-plugged in after sleeping computer or...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB microphone won't register unless unplugged and re-plugged in after sleeping computer or...: Using a Samson Q2U. This issue is beyond annoying. submitted by /u/BioSkiBum [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eowk12/usb_microphone_wont_register_unless_unplugged_and/
  10. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in: Just built a new gaming rig Sunday, haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it but Monday night and Tuesday morning the only issues I had were with some slow networking. Tuesday evening a new problem cropped up - constant USB device connected/disconnected sounds,...