Windows 10: All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago

Discus and support All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home, version 1909, build 18363.836. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. Namely can't access any thumb drives (nothing whatsoever... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Wisp, May 15, 2020.

1. Wisp Win User

All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago

Windows 10 Home, version 1909, build 18363.836. 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

Namely can't access any thumb drives (nothing whatsoever happens when I plug them in) or use a USB mouse. Haven't tried with other USB devices. Non-USB headphones work fine. This started just today when I started up my computer, yesterday everything was working fine. Pretty sure this is not a physical issue, e.g. slots being obstructed or jammed somehow. Rebooted a few times to no effect.

if it helps, I did make some obscure setting changes recently that might've lead to this, while I was trying to fix an unrelated problem involving heavy disk use unreported by Task Manager over certain intervals:
    • Through Registry Editor, set MSISupported from 1 to 0 in some folders in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\ . Didn't touch any other values. I'm not sure this is what caused it, I booted my computer up between changing those settings and today and USB mouse worked fine
    • Through Services (services.msc) menu, disabled Connected Devices Platform User Service_5eafe and/or Connected Devices Platform Service. This was around the same time I was fiddling with Registry Editor, re-enabled that service once this issue showed up and rebooted but nothing happened.
    • Disabled search indexing for C:\ (most of it, some folders being used by the system failed to have indexing turned off)
    • Through Task Scheduler, disabled Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser (this ultimately fixed the heavy disk use issue I was talking about). This is the most recent change I made, however turning it back on would probably cause the heavy disk use to start up again.
    Are there some common gotchas or other things I should check for? Thanks in advance.

:)

2. Pareeeee Win User

All of my USB Controller drivers suddenly stopped working

Everything was working fine - I went out for about an hour and came back to my PC and the mouse and keyboard had stopped working. They work fine in BIOS and in the Automatic Repair screen so I know it's a Windows issue, not a hardware one.

I was finally able to borrow a PS/2 keyboard yesterday (which is awful to navigate without a mouse *Shock) and navigated to Device Manager where I discovered that all of the USB ports, controllers etc. have the little warning icon.

Device manager tells me that the driver might be missing or corrupted, but when I click "Update Driver" it contradicts itself by saying I already have the best drivers available! (Thanks Microsoft! *Rolleyes)

Anyway, the only thing I can think of that I've done recently is update my graphics card drivers - but I have since rolled them back. I suppose a Windows Update could have taken place during that hour I was out.

I have tried the following:
    - Plugging in USB devices into every port. None of them are recognized.
    - Uninstalling all of the USB device drivers - they just come back as soon as I refresh "scan for hardware changes
    - Windows updates
    - Installing the drivers straight from my motherboard manufacturer website (Windows doesn't want me to install those *Rolleyes)
    - No options to roll back drivers
    - Updating from Device Manager
    - Disabling / Enabling from Device Manager
    - Disabled "Fast Startup" (as suggested elsewhere)

PS: I apologize in advance for the phone pics but it's too hard to do this on my PC with only a keyboard.

All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago [​IMG]

Pareeeee, May 15, 2020
  3. smounce Win User
    USB 2.0 Ports Stopped working

Hello,

I recently noticed my USB 2.0 ports have stopped working, but my USB 3.0 port is functioning perfectly.

Steps i have tried:

- Restarting

- Searching for device changes in Device manager

- running troubleshooter

all these suggested fixes didn't remedy the issue, its a bit of an inconvenience that i only have one functioning USB port

Thanks

smounce, May 15, 2020
  4. All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago

Xbox one controller suddenly not working with Windows 10

Problem description:

- Xbox One controller now listed in Device Manager as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

- I get the following "USB device not recognized" notification when connecting Xbox One controller:

The last usb device you connected to this computer malfunctioned

Troubleshooting steps taken:

- Restart computer multiple times

- Try with 2 additional USB cables

- Try all 3 cables in different USB slots

- Uninstall controller in Device Manager, then reconnected controller. Devices is re-added with same error message:

"Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)"

Observations:

- When I tried plugging controller into the keyboard's built in USB sockets, it caused the keyboard and mouse to suddenly stop working and appear to power down until restart.

- This controller has never had this problem on this device in the past, and has previous worked perfectly with all 3 cables I used in testing.

Any additional troubleshooting steps you can suggest? Thanks in advance.

Nathan2014, May 15, 2020
Thema:

All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago

1. All USB devices suddenly stopped working upon startup a while ago - Similar Threads - USB devices suddenly

2. Devices on a USB hub won't work upon a system startup. Win10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Devices on a USB hub won't work upon a system startup. Win10: I recently bought a USB hub named "Akasa Connect 7+" Is there some settings where you can enable the devices to start up with windows when you boot up your system? I have to replug everything on the hub when the system starts up, else they won't work. For example, HyperX...
  3. Devices on a USB hub won't work upon a system startup. Win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Devices on a USB hub won't work upon a system startup. Win10: I recently bought a USB hub named "Akasa Connect 7+" Is there some settings where you can enable the devices to start up with windows when you boot up your system? I have to replug everything on the hub when the system starts up, else they won't work. For example, HyperX...
  4. Devices on a USB hub won't work upon a system startup. Win10

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Midi over usb devices suddenly stop working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Midi over usb devices suddenly stop working.: So I have a few midi peripherals for my pro audio windows computer. After several months of stability, suddenly one device will stop working forever. The usual uninstall, change cables and ports etc all tried to death. The only fix is creating a new windows profile and...
  6. Midi over usb devices suddenly stop working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Midi over usb devices suddenly stop working.: So I have a few midi peripherals for my pro audio windows computer. After several months of stability, suddenly one device will stop working forever. The usual uninstall, change cables and ports etc all tried to death. The only fix is creating a new windows profile and...
  7. Midi over usb devices suddenly stop working.

8. Sudden BSOD upon startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sudden BSOD upon startup: Hi. I turned on my laptop this morning. After bootup I got BSOD. See the image below. What seems to be the problem? Tried restarting the laptop after BSOD and I think it's okay now....
  9. Windows 10 shuts down all USB devices upon startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 shuts down all USB devices upon startup: Dear Community , I was booting up my desktop Windows 10 PC yesterday, when I noticed that both my mouse an keyboard weren´t working as Windows booted up. I tried connecting an Xbox controller - it vibrates for about half a second and then doesn´t do anything either, tried...
  10. my usb ports stopped working all of the sudden

my usb ports stopped working all of the sudden: hello all. i have been using my computer for quite some time now and all of the sudden all of my ports stopped working. i tried to install drivers but nothing helped. i uninstall usb controllers from the device manager few times. re-installed, and checked for hardware...