Windows 10: All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10

Discus and support All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I don't have any PS2 keyboards lying around, so all I have is a USB keyboard and USB mouse. The first time this happened, I had just plugged in my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Out0fIdeas, Jul 4, 2018.

1. All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10

I don't have any PS2 keyboards lying around, so all I have is a USB keyboard and USB mouse. The first time this happened, I had just plugged in my new LogiTech H390 headset into the USB port and everything kinda went downhill from there- all my USB ports crashed, so I tried turning my computer off and back on again. At that point, USB still wasn't working, so that meant that I couldn't log on. It's strange, though. I can still get to UEFI just fine, it's just that right when Windows 10 begins to load in, my keyboard and mouse seem to shut off. Anyways, the only thing I could do was try to fail Windows 10 loading in and then next bootup it would try (but it would say that it failed) to do Startup Repair. This allowed me to get to the Windows Advanced Settings or whatever they're called. Apparently, I didn't have a system restore point, and Startup Repair failed, and Safe Mode still had the same problem with not recognizing USB, so all I could do was reinstall Windows 10 and every program that a Windows 10 reinstall gets rid of. That made my USB ports work again, so I just reinstalled everything I lost. But at the end of it all, Visual Studio 2017 needed to reboot the computer after it installed. Well, I happened to have the same new LogiTech H390 headset plugged in (I was able to use it this time without it crashing my USB ports upon plugging it in), and upon reboot, all USB ports were dead again, even after unplugging the headset. I've rebooted with other peripherals plugged in, like flash drives, external hard drives, microphones, a now broken headset, and even a Kinect. I can't seem to figure out why this one little headset could break Windows 10 so easily. And more important than that, how do I fix my computer without being able to log in? If I can get back to the Windows Advanced Settings thing that comes up just before Windows loads up (getting there is so hit or miss, though) then my mouse and keyboard still work, so I hope it could be done through that. Also, the headset works on my Windows 7 laptop without problems, so I'm not so inclined to blame LogiTech on this one. I think it might have something to do with Windows 10's USB driver being corrupted or unusable or something like that right now.

:)

Out0fIdeas, Jul 4, 2018
  2. Xylee Del Win User

USB port dead

Hello Adam,

We appreciate the details that you've provided about your USB port issue. This may have occurred due to software conflict or a hardware issue. For us to help you with this, kindly answer the following questions for further research:

• What is the current build and version number of your Windows 10? To check, press the Windows key, type winver, and press the Enter key.
    • We'd like to clarify the uninstalling and installing usb hub part. Have you tried

updating your USB port driver
      ? Have you tried uninstalling the driver and let Windows install the compatible driver?
    • Have you tried rolling back the USB port driver to its previous version?

Meanwhile, in order to save power, Windows switches your USB controllers off when they’re not in use. We suggest that you check your Power management settings:

• Type Device Manager in the Windows search field and open it.
    • Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch.
    • Double-click the first USB Root Hub device in the list.
    • Click the Power Management tab.
    • Un-check the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox, and click
      OK.
    • Repeat steps 3-5 for each USB Root Hub device in your list of Universal Serial Bus controllers.

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Xylee Del, Jan 29, 2020
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    USB port dead

Thank you for your prompt reply. For us to further isolate if this is an issue with the driver or hardware, can you tell us if all of the USB ports are experiencing this issue?

Meanwhile, kindly roll back the driver to the previous version by following the steps below:

• Press Windows + R on the desktop screen.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and hit enter.
    • Expand the category you want and right click on the driver and select properties.
    • Navigate to driver tab and click on
      RollBack driver.

Kindly get back to us.

Xylee Del, Jan 29, 2020
  4. spapakons Win User

All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10

USB Port Oddities

Ok, let's see it with pictures step-by-step. First right-click on the USB device and select Update driver software:

All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10 [​IMG]

Then select Browse my computer for driver software (LAST option) :

The select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer (LAST option) :

Then select the standard driver from the list and click next:

Click next/OK as required to complete installation. Repeat the steps for all Intel USB devices. Finally click on each USB root device and press DEL to delete it, reply YES when asked. After deleting all USB root devices restart the computer.

I hope this is detailed enough...

spapakons, Jan 29, 2020
Thema:

All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10

1. All USB ports are dead, so I can't log into Windows 10 - Similar Threads - USB ports are

2. All Port USB Not Function in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All Port USB Not Function in windows 10: Please help in my office there are several PC problems with the port USB, all USB ports did not function the error is "windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. code 19" please help.Thank you...
  3. USB port dead overnight

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB port dead overnight: I bought a new PC less than a month ago specifically HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 16-a0006nl and I immediately noticed that, while in my previous PC whenever I switched it off the devices connected by USB were also not getting powered anymore, in the new PC they stay on. I...
  4. USB port dead overnight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port dead overnight: I bought a new PC less than a month ago specifically HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 16-a0006nl and I immediately noticed that, while in my previous PC whenever I switched it off the devices connected by USB were also not getting powered anymore, in the new PC they stay on. I...
  5. USB port dead overnight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. All USB Ports are dead after reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All USB Ports are dead after reboot: Hello all,After a regular restart, all usb input devices do not respond at all. So I am stuck in the login screen. I have not consciously installed an update.However, after a few reboots, a short screen came up with the usual words "Updates are being processed", which is...
  7. All USB Ports are dead after reboot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    All USB Ports are dead after reboot: Hello all,After a regular restart, all usb input devices do not respond at all. So I am stuck in the login screen. I have not consciously installed an update.However, after a few reboots, a short screen came up with the usual words "Updates are being processed", which is...
  8. After downloading a update my USB ports are all dead.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After downloading a update my USB ports are all dead.: After downloading an update the USB ports on my laptop are dead. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-downloading-a-update-my-usb-ports-are-all/94090688-d019-4643-80f7-4dbbae331ab4
  9. Windows 10, USB Ports all unresponsive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10, USB Ports all unresponsive: Hi Everyone, I bought a second Laptop some time ago now, as my Toshiba Laptop was starting to make strange noises ? But it's still working, so I thought I could donate one of them for a School Child for Home Learning ? However, the newer one, A Toshiba Satellite Pro...
  10. Dead usb ports

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead usb ports: My usb ports suddenly stopped working! All four on the front panel are dead and only two of ports in the are still alive. My only connection to the internet is through my cell phone hot spot but in order to do that requires a usb wireless adapter. See where I'm going with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 usb ports dont work except for usb 3.1