Windows 10: All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004

Discus and support All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows went unresponsive earlier today, while I was just typing in notepad. When I restarted the system, I was unable to log in and got the message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Some name here, Jun 28, 2020.

1. All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004

Windows went unresponsive earlier today, while I was just typing in notepad. When I restarted the system, I was unable to log in and got the message "We can't sign into your account", after being signed in to a temporary account. After trying several reboots and rebooting into safe mode etc, nothing seemed to help. Eventually I tried making sure windows was up to date.

I noticed an update for windows 10 2004, and figured maybe it would help. After installing the update, I was finally able to log in to my original user, that I was previously unable to. However, all my preferences, start menu settings, documents, etc, are gone. There is nothing in any of folders under C:\Users, and there is nothing in windows.old either.

I have checked and I am definitely signed in to the user I usually usealso the only one on the system, and it is still linked to my microsoft account

I do seem to have everything available in programfiles though.

Is there anything I can do to retrieve the data? Can I at least get an explanation for why this happened? I do have a backup from several months ago, but it isn't exactly an ideal solution.

:)

Some name here, Jun 28, 2020
  2. IanKerry Win User

User File but no Username

Hi,

I have Windows 10

I do not have a Username file under my user file. I have gone into folder options and clicked “Show hidden files’ and unclicked ‘Hide protected …’ but nothing changes.

Under the User file I have All users, Default Users, and Default all greyed out, then HP, Postgres and Public but no Username.

Please help

Thanks

IanKerry, Jun 28, 2020
  3. deving Win User
    User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jun 28, 2020
  4. Kreij Win User

All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jun 28, 2020
Thema:

All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004

1. All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004 - Similar Threads - user files under

2. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  3. How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change username under C:/Users/username folder?: I have a Microsoft account which I have been using for a long time. Recently i restored my pc to factory settings OEM settings and i was asked to connect it to my Microsoft account while it was setting up windows 11.Now the problem is, the username folder the pc is showing is...
  4. C/users/%username%/Documents not found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C/users/%username%/Documents not found: About 10 minutes ago, I was just doing some minecraft modding and all of a sudden when i tried to create a new folder in a folder that's in my documents, it said documents wasn't in C/Users/%username%/. I looked in my user files and the documents file WERE there. They just...
  5. Move Documents off of c:\users\username onto f:\user\username

Move Documents off of c:\users\username onto f:\user\username: I want all of the files in c:\users\username moved to f:\users\username but make them referenced by the Microsoft "aliases". So for instance, the Microsoft alias "Documents" would actually exist in f:\users\username instead of c:\users\username documents, etc. I can easily...
  6. OSC: >Users/username/Documents empty

OSC: >Users/username/Documents empty: I have noticed that File Explorer shows that I have no files in the directory OSC:> Users/username/Documents. My files are stored in Onedrive and backed up there and I can see all my files, This PC Documents is fully populated with all my documents. Can someone explain...
  7. All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All user files under user/username/documents missing after update to Windows 10 2004: I am unsure if this is the right place to post this, so sorry if not. I tried contacting Windows support but that was painful and not helpful.. Windows went unresponsive earlier today, while I was just typing in notepad. When I restarted the system, I was unable to log in...
  8. "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>"

"C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>": "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\<File Folder name>" refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and...
  9. Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct

Windows Username under Users\ folder on disk not correct: Hi, I recently installed windows 10 and signed in directly with my microsoft credentials instead of first creating a local user. I've just noticed that the username under the C:\Users\ directory only picks up the first five characters of my name. It seems that there is...
  10. This PC\Documents does not equal users\username\Documents

This PC\Documents does not equal users\username\Documents: Using Windows 10. My Windows 10 computer user account is the same as my Hotmail account, which Windows really really wants you to do when you set up a new computer. In File Explorer, This PC\Documents folder contains various documents I have put there. From the command...