Windows 10: AllApps menu alternative

Discus and support AllApps menu alternative in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback. It looks as though the alpha... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Slartybart, May 11, 2015.

1. AllApps menu alternative

I prefer the AllApps screen in Win8.1 to the alpha list in Win10. I've suggested a few variants to MS through feedback.

It looks as though the alpha list will be the defacto standard, although a leaked peek shows it is a little better (can be hidden) and the Start Screen is not cluttered with a list that's too small and not nearly granular enough to be useful.

Windows has always been friendly to customization, and if I get the time to learn the XAML coding pertaining to Start, I might build my own. I tried exporting Start though PS, but it failed - that's ok because if you go that route, the Start screen becomes static. The export serves companies who want to have the same screen for all users.

Until then, I made a poor man's AllApps screen

Download ~AllApps.zip folder and extract the shortcut

~AllApps.zip
    After you have extracted the shortcut, check the properties of the shortcut and unblock it if it is marked blocked.

If you would rather a different icon or the icon I set did not make it through the transfer, change it while you're in properties.

AllApps menu alternative [​IMG]

I used the right arrow icon in %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll
    You can see it in the screen shots and if you have to 'fix' the icon, it's about in the middle of the slider displaying icons in shell32.dll

When you are finished with the shortcut properties
    Move ~AllApps.lnk (the shortcut) to your personal Start menu

%Appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    When you look at the Start menu list, the new item, ~AllApps, will be first in the list since tilde ~ is lower in value that most other characters.

Pin ~AllApps to Start and place it where it's convenient to you. I mimicked the Win8.1 placement of an arrow at the lower left area.

When you're finished, you will have a pseudo AllApps screen. One of the niceties is that you can use all of the File Explorer organization features.

I set mine to
    Hide the Navigation pane (organize button)
    view as list (top view selector - press the icon to cycle through available views or press the down arrow to select the one you want)

Right click an open area of the main window
    sort by name
    group by none

There is one problem ... the settings do not stick.

I'll post an update once (if) I figure that out - I'd venture that some member will post the solution before I get back to it. It might be as simple as changing the shortcut target to call rundll shell32 or explorer.

:)

Slartybart, May 11, 2015
  2. M RKHAN Win User

start menu is not working can't go my allapps.

start menu is not working can't go my allapps.

Changing the title

Old title – Outlook.com contacts

New title – start menu is not working and can't go my all apps.

M RKHAN, May 11, 2015
  3. No response from clicking on Windows 10 start>allapps>xbox or Microsoft Solitiare Collection

After upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, everything worked fine for several months. However, today (2015/09/27), when I click on START/ALLAPPS/XBOX or START/ALLAPPS/MICROSOFT SOLITIARE COLLECTION TILES there is no obvious activity. XBOX nor MICROSOFT
    SOLITIARE COLLECTION will start up. All other functions of Windows 10 and associated applications (EXCELL, WORD, Control Panel, etc) function properly. Only the games are failing. Any recommendations to try to resolve the issue with the games?

DonaldIvey, May 11, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

AllApps menu alternative

Good stuff Bill, I appreciate your effort

5. Wynona Win User
    Got it! Thanks. Looking forward to the update. *Smile

Wynona, May 11, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Thank Bill! I've pinned mine to the taskbar. If case anyone forgets in properties you can also set a shortcut key combination also.
    Here's how it looks with a dark theme:
    Attachment 18887

Edit: You might want to make this into a tutorial. I'll bet thousands, if not millions of users, will want to be able to do this after the Big Upgrade*Smile, and having it hidden under General Discussion just isn't worthy of so a useful tool.

Cliff S, May 11, 2015
  7. dencal Win User
    Slartybart.
    What a brilliant idea, like yourself I prefer the Allapps screen in W8.1.
    Your suggestion gives one the option of either version, hopefully M$ will take note.

dencal, May 11, 2015
  8. AllApps menu alternative

It needs spit and shine before a tut ... and Brink might already have one. I built a Control Panel and he had a better one *Wink

Having looked at that tut though, does lead me to believe that a change to the way it is called will solve the stickiness issue.

I'll test a bit more before I feel it meets the tut standard.

Cliff, thanks - I forgot to mention that you could also pin it to the Taksbar. Dark theme makes the white icons show nicely too.
    I forgot to mention that 'other' issue, the icons are only good at smaller sizes - otherwise they are white. With a white background, they are essentially invisible.

Thanks to Dude, Wynona, Star Ferret, and dencal as well!

Slartybart, May 12, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    This morning (my time) I was trying to find a way for it to hold the View settings I like for it (medium), I even tried creating a library folder, but that and other things just didn't work(no big deal really) but in properties I did set it to open maximized every time.

Cliff S, May 12, 2015
  10. f14tomcat Win User
    There is one problem ... the settings do not stick.

=========================================

Bill, which setting is not "sticking"? I popped your allapps on my box and set it up, basically looking just like yours. Worked. Signed off and on. Still work like I had it set. reboot - same. What's not sticking?

f14tomcat, May 12, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    He means the view settings( small, large, icons, list, tiles, details,...etc)you can change in File Explorer. They revert back to default every time you open it.

Cliff S, May 12, 2015
  12. davehc Win User
    How did you apply the option to copy to the taskbar. I don't see it? - But a very welcome shortcut in the start menu!

davehc, May 12, 2015
  13. Cliff S New Member

AllApps menu alternative

In Start menu I right clicked and chose Pin to Taskbar. But I believe it's enough to just right click the icon where ever you have it and choose

Cliff S, May 12, 2015
  14. davehc Win User
    A right click in the start menu does not , in this instance, offer me that option?

davehc, May 12, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    I have it hereAttachment 18944

Cliff S, May 12, 2015
Thema:

AllApps menu alternative

1. AllApps menu alternative - Similar Threads - AllApps menu alternative

2. Alternative for WES7?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Alternative for WES7?: Hello All, I'm working in a healthcare product. We are still using Windows Embedded Standard 7 When I google about Windows Embedded Standard 7's Extended End Date is Oct 13, 2020. I have few questions. 1. What are the disadvantage of continuing the same Windows Embedded...
  3. Alternative for WES7?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alternative for WES7?: Hello All, I'm working in a healthcare product. We are still using Windows Embedded Standard 7 When I google about Windows Embedded Standard 7's Extended End Date is Oct 13, 2020. I have few questions. 1. What are the disadvantage of continuing the same Windows Embedded...
  4. Alternative Windows 10 start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Alternative Windows 10 start menu: I'm looking for an alternative start menu for windows 10 that looks more cleaner, some suggestions? submitted by /u/Licenziato [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iiz01e/alternative_windows_10_start_menu/
  5. No "Alternate Options"

in Windows 10 Customization
    No "Alternate Options": Hello, I am running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. I want to join my Azure AD setup. However, when I click Settings\Accounts\Access Work or School\Connect, I don't see any "Alternate Options" or "Join with Azure AD," as Microsoft Docs said to do. Could you help me? Thank...
  6. Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there any alternatives to the Start Menu?: I love having my icons available but recently I've clicked on Auto-Hide taskbar and positioned it on the left side of the screen. it's great having that extra clean space but it has it's issues like not always auto-hiding and staying open and when I've moved the mouse away...
  7. Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles

Chrome WebApp icons OK in AllApps, blank/grey in PinnedTiles: I pinned shortcuts for Google Calendar and Google Contacts to Start (All Apps), the Start Menu (Pinned Tiles), and the Taskbar on two different Win10 x64 1903 machines. On one, all work/look as expected. On the other, the Pinned Tiles are stuck on gray boxes with no icons at...
  8. Tip for Start Menu Alternative

Tip for Start Menu Alternative: Since I don't have windows 10 installed, I basing the names of the folders on windows 7, please change accordingly. You will need to change your account to administrator for this to work, I think you can change back after your are done and it still should work but I have no...
  9. Alternatives to Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alternatives to Word: I use Windows 10 in my laptop but main productivity is in my Windows 7 desktop, where MS Office 2010 is installed. I have no intention of subscribing to 365. But I occasionally need a text editor and even more occasionally need to write a letter or document for insertion...
  10. Explorer Right click menu is left open after selecting a alternative

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Right click menu is left open after selecting a alternative: A thing™ that has appeared after updating Windows 10 (not exactly sure which update but it was working before the Aniversory update) is that if I use Right Click on Explorer to get the menu, then after I have selected a choice from the menu, e.g Minimize, the menu is left...