Windows 10: Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

Discus and support Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Long story short: - I bought two 12 TB WD external USB 3.0 hard drives. My plan was to back up all my data to one, and mirror that back up to another.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/chuckstaton, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

Long story short:
    - I bought two 12 TB WD external USB 3.0 hard drives. My plan was to back up all my data to one, and mirror that back up to another. I have been researching hard drive mirroring software. We'll call them "Main External" and "Back Up."
    - In the mean time, I put all my data on one, and simply copied it all to the other. They both have all my back-up data.
    - Failing to find a suitable mirror option, I saw that Windows can possibly take care of this. I tried to set this up through Disk Management. The option for "Adding a mirror" to "Main External."
    - After a quick Google, I read that I needed to add them both to my "Storage Spaces" on Windows. I went to do this, by going to "Manage Storage Spaces" in Windows, and "Create a new pool and storage space."
    - As soon I selected the drives, Windows gave me an error that this new pool could not be created. I'm not sure what the error said, but it was absolutely immediate. No time passed.
    - My drives no longer showed up in "This PC". When I go to Disk Management, they both show up, as "Unallocated."- Windows gives me the option to "Initialize Disk," (as either MBR or GPT) but I'm afraid that that process will delete the data if I do that.

That's the story. Not sure what to do now. I've been a musician and filmmaker since 2004 with 100% of my personal and work data backed up (again, to two separate drives that both had this happen to them at the same time) so I'm pretty desperate to keep the data. Does anyone know what I can do? Thank you.

submitted by /u/chuckstaton
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/chuckstaton, Feb 15, 2020
  2. badrobot Win User

Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Download any of the suggested programs above and fire up Youtube for a step by step instruction. Easus is a good software. But I personally use MiniTool Partition Wizard.

It will only take 5 minutes to become a professional hard drive partitioner. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data? :)

badrobot, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Use of drives wrongly allocated.

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if Windows 10 is not installed properly.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to

To assist you better, please provide us the information below:

• When you say that "Windows 10 I discover that the 2TB hard drive that I used for photographs only has been allocated for use as the primary root drive C", are you referring that 2TB drive is where Windows 10 is installed? Which drive have you exactly clean
      install Windows 10?
    • What is the drive name where Windows 10 is previously installed?

Please get back to us with an update on Windows 10, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Msap14 Win User

Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data?

1. Allocate Hard Drive without Losing Data? - Similar Threads - Allocate Hard Drive

2. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  3. Hard Drive Allocation Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Allocation Confusion: Hello! So, my PC has slowed down recently and at the recommendation of a friend I was looking at my SSD health when I saw this. Already I'm assuming my boot partition shouldn't be that large but the same hard-drive has many of my games downloaded onto it within the same...
  4. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I can't repair corrupt files, so I want to reinstall Windows 10 again using media creation tool. I'm using only one drive C drive as I have 237 GB SSD. Furthermore, I had not done any partition. Only one C drive. So if I use media creation tool →...
  5. Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows in C drive without losing data: I'm using Windows 10 Pro and I can't repair corrupt files, so I want to reinstall Windows 10 again using media creation tool. I'm using only one drive C drive as I have 237 GB SSD. Furthermore, I had not done any partition. Only one C drive. So if I use media creation tool →...
  6. Allocation of hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Allocation of hard drive: How do I allocate more space to the C drive on mycomputer I have 931 GB of available space but the OS is using 101GB's of the 102 allocated to it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/allocation-of-hard-drive/81c72fb0-229d-495f-9b05-aeaf94df3815
  7. Adding a Drive to Storage Spaces Without Losing Data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Adding a Drive to Storage Spaces Without Losing Data: Currently I backup my PC to an 8TB disk using Windows 10 backup. The drive is almost full so using Storage Spaces, I would like to add a new 8 TB drive for a total of 16 TB without losing any data byFirst create a new Storage Space on a new blank 8TB driveCopy the current 8...
  8. Fix Unallocated Hard Drive without losing Data in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix Unallocated Hard Drive without losing Data in Windows 10: [ATTACH]An Unallocated disk or drive is one that hasn’t been assigned any drive letter. […] This article Fix Unallocated Hard Drive without losing Data in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  9. Allocating Hard Drive Space

in Windows 10 Customization
    Allocating Hard Drive Space: Lets start from the beginning. I dropped my computer about a month ago and the hard drive started to fail on me so i shut the computer down for a while, got a new hard drive, and used a dock like thing to clone the stuff from my dying hard drive to my new one. my issue now is...
  10. Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data: I intend to partition a hard drive I'll be buying to install Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on each partition but I don't want to lose my data after I've installed Windows 7 and then 8.1 or maybe install the Windows 10 preview 32 bit. I am not going to install Windows 8.1 or 10...