Windows 10: Allocating free disk space without creating dynamic disk

Discus and support Allocating free disk space without creating dynamic disk in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a new larger HDD and have cloned my original drive, which I intend to format and use elsewhere. The new drive has a boot partion C with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by derMosen, Sep 28, 2020.

1. derMosen Win User

Allocating free disk space without creating dynamic disk

Hi,

I bought a new larger HDD and have cloned my original drive, which I intend to format and use elsewhere. The new drive has a boot partion C with Windows on it, as well as 1 TB of unallocated space. I want to create a new partition with that space, but when I attempt to do so in Disk Management, the New Simple Volume Wizard warns me that the operation will convert the basic disk into a dynamic disk. The warning does suggest that I will still be able to boot from my current boot volume, nonetheless I want to keep the drive basic to prevent other issues down the road. I also don't see why it wants to convert the disk in the first place, since the unallocated space is all on a single physical drive and there are no other drives connected.

Is it possible to allocate the space in Disk Management without the conversion?

:)

derMosen, Sep 28, 2020
  2. willvu Win User

Can't create simple volume on dynamic disk

Hello

I have a dynamic disk (converted from a basic disk) with about 100gb of allocated space. I try to create a simple volume out of the entirety of it (via disk management) but immediately after press "finish" on the
    New Simple Volume Wizard, an error message shows saying "There is not enough space on the selected disk to complete this action"
    even though I have plenty of unallocated storage.

I think the problem is because I converted the disk to dynamic but I haven't found a way of converting it back to basic without wiping it.

Any answers as to how I can created volumes on my drive?

willvu, Sep 28, 2020
  3. oscure Win User
    Disk partitions, allocated space

Need help moving allocated space from one disk to another.

I have a picture of the partitions if that helps

oscure, Sep 28, 2020
  4. hello2012 Win User

hello2012, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Allocating free disk space without creating dynamic disk - Similar Threads - Allocating free disk

2. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  3. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  4. Allocating Disk Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Allocating Disk Space: I allocated 1 terabyte to PopOS but I decided I don't like it much. How do I reallocate the space back to windows? submitted by /u/Lawfulness_Negative [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k102ok/allocating_disk_space/
  5. Freeing Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  6. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  7. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  8. Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...
  9. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...
  10. Disk Allocation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Allocation: Hi everyone, It's Kousik here. I have installed xubuntu along with windows 10. To do that i had to re partition my hard disk which is of 1 tb. While doing this i can't allocate 250gb as primary partition. The message below is showing " You cannot allocate a primay...