Windows 10: Allocating RAM as dedicated VRAM?

Discus and support Allocating RAM as dedicated VRAM? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm currently wrestling with Monster Hunter: World, trying to force it to behave and run properly. The issue is that I'm playing at 1440P with the HD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ender3Guy, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Allocating RAM as dedicated VRAM?

I'm currently wrestling with Monster Hunter: World, trying to force it to behave and run properly.

The issue is that I'm playing at 1440P with the HD texture pack, which requires just shy of 8GB of Vram...

My card is a 2060, which means I have only 6Gb.

The good news is that by default Windows 10 shares some RAM with your GPU.

The bad news (boy would I like to shake the hand of the retarded designer who thought this one up) is that the shared memory is in the paging file of all places. Seriously? VRAM is already intended to be much faster than standard RAM, so this is practically useless.

Using DirectX 11, this results in half-second stutters every time an LOD transition occurs. With DX12, most HD textures don't even load, or if they do they then switch back and forth, even at close range.

So, disable the paging file, right?

Nope. After doing this, I'm given Err08 in-game, which indicates insufficient VRAM. It turns out that 9 GB of my RAM is 'committed' to various processes as shown in Task Manager, and World runs out.

Does it really have to be this hard? I've spent a large amount of time searching, but I haven't found a way to do something simple - I want to allocate precisely 2048Mb of RAM to VRAM. Done. This becomes dedicated to the GPU and cannot be used by any other process.

Help?

submitted by /u/Ender3Guy
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ender3Guy, Nov 2, 2020
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Dedicated video ram

The only way to change the amount of system RAM that is allocated to an integrated graphics processor

is via the machines BIOS. The amount that can be allocated varies between machines.

"At least to 512 Mb."

Your post shows - Total Available Graphics Memory: 1792 MB- . This is the maximum amount of

RAM that is allocated for gaming,or doing other graphics intensive tasks, and includes the 32MB VRAM

(assuming this 32MB is a VRAM chip and not a small portion of the system RAM 'dedicated' to video).

So you should still be OK with the current 'dedicated 32MB' as long as you don't do heavy multi-tasking.

It would take some serious multi-tasking to use 12GB RAM.

The main difference here is the 'dedicated' memory may be a VRAM memory chip on the motherboard,

vs using a portion of the system RAM (shared).

VRAM is much faster than system RAM, but there is no way to upgrade this, whether using integrated graphics

or a dedicated graphics card.

- The other issue is some games do not recognise shared system RAM as an alternative to VRAM.

You are out of luck in this instance.

BossDweeb, Nov 2, 2020
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Dedicated Video RAM

Short answer... No.

Long answer. You cannot add more VRAM to a dedicated graphics card.

Machines that use Integrated graphics commonly have an option to allocate up to 2GB system RAM to games,

but this is not actually VRAM. Integrated graphics run via 'shared' system RAM and have no VRAM.

Dedicated graphics cards also make use of system RAM as a temporary storage for game data which can be called

on when required by the gpu (loading new areas or levels), but when dealing with the graphics settings in a

games setup only VRAM is taken into consideration, as this is what is in use in the part of the game you see on screen.

BossDweeb, Nov 2, 2020
  4. Ivan G G Win User

Allocating RAM as dedicated VRAM?

Dedicated, virtual and shared video memory

I trust GPU-Z .

Dedicated GPUs have dedicated VRAM and dynamically allocated in system RAM when dedicated VRAM is not enough . Transfers are done via PCI-E interface . iGPUs have only dynamically allocated sys RAM . I have heard Intel is gonna roll out a chip with dedicated
    VRAM along with Radeon iGPU

My guess is :

GTX 960M 2GB dedicated VRAM + 2GB shared/dynamically allocated in sys RAM

Ivan G G, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

Allocating RAM as dedicated VRAM?

1. Allocating RAM as dedicated VRAM? - Similar Threads - Allocating RAM dedicated

2. Parameter "Allocated" in RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Parameter "Allocated" in RAM: Hi everyone!I noticed that when running even a small number of active programs, such as Chrome browser, Telegram messenger and a couple of background applications Logitech, MSI, Malwarbytes firewall the difference between memory data from "used" and "allocated" is almost 3...
  3. I can't increase my dedicated VRAM.

I can't increase my dedicated VRAM.: Lately, i reinstalled my windows 10, i installed fifa 19, when i run it, an error appears saying that i need to make sure that my dedicated video RAM is at least 1024mb, when checked it out, i found out that it was 0mb, i tried everything to increase it, nothing worked.In my...
  4. Increasing dedicated vram

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increasing dedicated vram: Hi I wanted to increase the vram on my laptop Intel r Xe Graphics tried going to the bios to increase didn't see the option tried from registry didn't work either and I have 8gb of ram...
  5. Increasing dedicated vram

Increasing dedicated vram: Hi I wanted to increase the vram on my laptop Intel r Xe Graphics tried going to the bios to increase didn't see the option tried from registry didn't work either and I have 8gb of ram...
  6. allocating dedicated vram on intel HD graphics

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    allocating dedicated vram on intel HD graphics: Hi, I tried to allocate 1024 mb of dedicated vram to my intel HD 4400 graphics, but when i changed the value in the registry editor and restarted my computer it showed me that I only allocated 576mb. How do I allocate more? specs system: toshiba satellite E45-B4200 CPU:...
  7. Dedicated vram is not increasing after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dedicated vram is not increasing after update: Am using asus laptop and I was happily playing heavy games on it but after the windows update am unable to increase the vram before I used to increase it 512 mb but now it just showing 128 mb and while playing games like gta 5 it lags please anyone help...
  8. Ram Allocation Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ram Allocation Issues: Hey, I'm new(ish) to windows, and I can't seem to figure out how to increase the committed (Allocated) memory for a specific program. I have 65,536 MB installed RAM, however the program has 4600 MB committed to it, and maxes it out whenever its running. There is 49,360 MB...
  9. Modifying dedicated vram

in Windows 10 Customization
    Modifying dedicated vram: I would like to know if it is possible to modify the vram (video random access memory) on a Toshiba Satellite (C50t-A) using the UEFI running on Windows 10 Enterprise. My total available graphics memory is 1792 mb, while dedicated video memory is only 32 mb. I would like to...
  10. Will program work with Dedicated vram increase?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Will program work with Dedicated vram increase?: Im looking to buy/use Pinnacle Studio with a new laptop that has 128gb vram. I increased the dedicated vram to 1280 gb. I’d like to run Pinnacle Studio on it which requires 256gb of vram. Will i be ok to buy the program and run it? Or will the dedicated vram loophole not work...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use ram on gta 5 to vram card