Windows 10: Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where...

Discus and support Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; File allocation in windows often creates hundreds or thousands of extents where contiguous space is available. This file allocation strategy used by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by John_Swanson, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where...

File allocation in windows often creates hundreds or thousands of extents where contiguous space is available. This file allocation strategy used by Microsoft since MS DOS supported hard drive creates file fragmentation. On a Windows Workstation with 20 percent of the space allocated the file allocation strategy in use today starts searching at the hard disk from the start collecting unallocated space until storage requirements are satisfied. This leads to fragmentation of the hard drive and subsequent defrag of the same. This process can take an entire day to complete.

Allocate contiguous space for file when available to prevent fragmentation in the first place. A defrag file service could be developed by Microsoft to move fragmented files to contiguous space once the file is closed.

:)

John_Swanson, Dec 5, 2019
  2. SirJangly Win User

NTFS File Allocation Size

Hey guys, I just got windows 7 on my new samsung f3 500gb drive. I partitioned 20gb for the win7 install, and the rest for files and such. The thing is, I forgot to allocate the rest of the space. I am sure NTSF is best, but which allocation size should I go with?

Also, should I go with a quick format and enable file/folder compression? Please reply quick guys, I want to play some games tonight *Smile Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where... :)

SirJangly, Dec 5, 2019
  3. SirJangly Win User

Gah, I set it to default *Frown Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where... :(

Is the windows 7 partition C drive? Thats what mine is, and I is for everything else. Problem is, programs like to default to that C drive, a pita.

SirJangly, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Mussels Win User

Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where...

i set up a 40GB partition for 7, and the rest for everything else.

To answer your question: NTFS with 64k allocation size is best. it wastes a small amount of space if you have lots of small files, but has 1/8th the chunks of a 8KB allocation, meaning you have 1/8th the chance of fragmented files, and 8x faster defragments *Stick Out Tongue Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where... :p

Mussels, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where...

1. Allocation of new files in Windows often creates files with hundreds of entents where... - Similar Threads - Allocation files often

2. how often are new system files created?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how often are new system files created?: i feel like every single day when i go into my file explorer, more and more system files are there, and their creation dates are as soon as that precise day. are they a daily thing? i’m so confused submitted by /u/socksgrowonbushes [link] [comments]...
  3. Change Permissions for Hundreds of Nested Files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Change Permissions for Hundreds of Nested Files: I've recently recovered a backup. Hundreds if not thousands of files in a nested directory structure are denying access. Is there a way to grant access to the entire directory structure rather than one file at a time?...
  4. system files hundreds of gigabytes but where ???

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    system files hundreds of gigabytes but where ???: Hello community I have a problem : hundreds of gigabyte of data from system on my hard drive but I doesn't know where it is coming from ?? thank you for your time !...
  5. Windows freezes when creating a new file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows freezes when creating a new file: Do you know how you can right click to create a file? well, whenever I hover over new it freezes my computer. just a note, I had updated to the newest windows and it only started happening after it was downloaded....
  6. Creating new files and folders

Creating new files and folders: Every time I try to make a new folder or save a new file windows will not allow me. When i try yo make a new folder the following appears. [ATTACH] When scanning a document I get this [ATTACH] and when i try to save a word document I get this [ATTACH] Other apps give...
  7. How to compare text files to create a new file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to compare text files to create a new file?: One notepad file was installed on multiple computers. When each computer was used the notepad file was updated. Text was added, removed, or modified over time to each of the files. The files are very different now for the same file name. What software is available that could...
  8. Windows hanging when creating new files

Windows hanging when creating new files: Hi all, I am having an issue where Windows 10 keeps hanging when I mouse over "New" either in desktop or Files Explorer to create new files. Here are two gifs showing my issue: https://i.imgur.com/NWsvDM5.gif https://i.imgur.com/rIs4F2G.gif I have tried: Going to...
  9. Creating a New File Folder in Windows 10

Creating a New File Folder in Windows 10: After the recent update, I can't seem to create a new file folder. Normally I just right click on the display and new folder options appear with other options, but now it's missing? How do I get it done now?...…….....
  10. Allocating Names to Downloaded Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Allocating Names to Downloaded Files: I routinely download data files for analysis in Excel. These files arrive with the same default name and I am required to change the name or close the previously downloaded file. I have tried in vain to find the setting that will cause Windows to suffix the default name of a...