Windows 10: Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive

Discus and support Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi: I am currently involved with transferring music MP3 files to a 32-GB thumb drive and have needed to reformat the thumb drive several times during... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by VinceB, Jun 16, 2021.

1. VinceB Win User

Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive

Hi: I am currently involved with transferring music MP3 files to a 32-GB thumb drive and have needed to reformat the thumb drive several times during the troubleshooting process that I am dealing with. I do not know how to make an intelligent choice for the Allocation unit size, and why. Also, I want to learn how to set/reset the File system (Default) settings. Presently, the File system is showing as FAT32 (Default) and the Allocation unit size is showing as 16 kilobytes (cluster size). Are those selections appropriate for the task at hand? Is there a tutorial/blog available that would provide insight to those formatting selections? TIA.

:)

VinceB, Jun 16, 2021
  2. Avocado Win User

Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

The default "Allocation unit size" setting is automatically detected, so do not change the setting.

Avocado, Jun 16, 2021
  3. Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

I just bought 32GB usb flash drive and i want to format it, but i dont know what default Allocation unit size for formating it and also i've no idea what it means.
    Here a screenshot

Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive [​IMG]

I hope you guys can explain and help me decide which one should i choose. And sorry if this off topic. Thanks in advance.

mikelferdinan, Jun 16, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

Basically, the allocation unit size is the block size on your hard drive when it formats NTFS (default 4096 bytes). If you have lots of small files, then it’s a good idea to keep the allocation size small so your harddrive space won’t be wasted. If you have lots of large files, keeping it higher will increase the system performance by having less blocks to seek.
    For example:
    with a 1 byte file size will occupy 4096 bytes if allocation unit is set to 4096 bytes while it will occupy 8192 bytes if you set it to 8182 bytes.

For flash drive. You can either format with NTFS or ExFat. However, NTFS on flash memory has been known to be inefficient. exFAT’s smaller footprint/overhead.

topgundcp, Jun 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Allocation unit size when formatting USB flash drive - Similar Threads - Allocation unit size

2. Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Converting or formatting a USB flash drive to fat32: I either need to reformat or convert a flash drive to fat32. I have read numerous articles and most say go to accessories-system tools-disk converter but there is no disk converter is system tools. I also read an article that says to go to a command prompt and type format X:...
  3. Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to format USB Flash Drive as NTFS!: Hi, I had a 5GB file which I wanted to copy in my flash drive. But my drive was formatted in FAT32 system, so I tried to format it as NTFS. But from then it shows that Windows was unable to complete the format. I tried formatting using different computers and even...
  4. formatting a new usb flash drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    formatting a new usb flash drive: What is the best way to format a usb device using Windows 10? Plus I have a USB flash drive that Windows won't recognize, how can I fix that problem so I can reformat it and reuse it? Thanks for your help Ken,...
  5. USB Flash drive not able to format

USB Flash drive not able to format: Hi there, I'm having a problem that my USB drive is not formatting. Whenever I format it, it gives me write-protection error. I tried to format it in my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 to see if there was an issue with Windows 10/my PC but of no luck. I also tried removing...
  6. Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting a usb flash drive for autoplay: How to format a usb flash drive for autoplay when connected to other devices like karaoke machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-usb-flash-drive-for-autoplay/e5ad6acc-dbef-48c9-a40e-290cc7526927
  7. How to view allocation unit size?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to view allocation unit size?: [ATTACH] When I view properties for a USB flash drive, I can see space used, free space, capacity and file system type. It does not display allocation unit size though. So where do I go to view that? Disk properties submitted by /u/Ken852 [link] [comments]...
  8. format the USB flash

format the USB flash: When I entered my flash, I got massage this USB need to format before its used, when I tried to format, the computer or windows was unable to format please note that my windows is 10...
  9. Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB

Allocation unit size for USB flash drive 32GB: I just bought 32GB usb flash drive and i want to format it, but i dont know what default Allocation unit size for formating it and also i've no idea what it means. Here a screenshot [img] I hope you guys can explain and help me decide which one should i choose. And sorry...
  10. Format usb flash drive

Format usb flash drive: Hi looking for a good program to format my USB flash drive. Windows 10 won't recognise my flash drive it knows it's there but it's not showing up in drives I used the flash drive in my zgemma and the zgemma changes the partition in some way so PC won't recognise it now. I...