Windows 10: "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a...

Discus and support "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am currently running Windows 10 Pro Build 1909. I am developing a cross-platform application that communicates with my Windows machine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TheMohawkNinja, Dec 29, 2020.

1. "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a...

Hello,

I am currently running Windows 10 Pro Build 1909.

I am developing a cross-platform application that communicates with my Windows machine over LAN and only references private IP addresses. However, in order to allow the application to connect to the Windows machine, Windows Firewall must be set to allow the application over a public network.

From a security standpoint, this is obviously unacceptable.

I understand the answer is likely "update to 20H2" or something to that effect, which is fine, but if that's the case, can I at least be told which KB should be the actual fix for the issue?

Thank you,

:)

TheMohawkNinja, Dec 29, 2020
  2. joelshort Win User

Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not remembering when I add an app to the list.

From the control panel I am going to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall". One of the apps in question is already listed and I need to continually enable it through the Public connection. But the rule doesn't stick.

Another app is missing from the list so I manually add it, and things work fine for that session. If I restart the system and go back to these rules, the manually added app is no longer in the list, and the already present app in the list has again reverted to Private only. I have to constantly reset these.

Why won't these apps stick in the allowed apps, and how do I fix it?

joelshort, Dec 29, 2020
  3. John Sarc Win User
    Windows Firewall blocks App Store from downloading new apps

Hi,

Let's try to check if the app store you're referring to if it's really blocked by Windows Firewall. See these steps:

• Open Windows Firewall from the taskbar >
      Firewall & network protection
      > Allow an app through firewall.
    • A new window will show up containing the list of the apps that ca be allowed through Firewall.
    • Look for the app you want to be accessed, and make sure that the Domain, Private and Public are ticked. That would allow the app store to be accessed.

Let us know what happens after doing the suggestion.

John Sarc, Dec 29, 2020
  4. joelshort Win User

"Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a...

Windows Defender Firewall - Previously allowed APP disappears

I'm having an issue with Defender firewall. I manually allow an app through the firewall on both public and private networks. The app works fine. When I restart the computer the approved app is no longer listed and the app does not work properly.

What I'm trying to do is use Teamviewer to remotely control an Intel NUC via the NUC IP address on a local area network. If I add Teamviewer to the list of apps through the firewall it works fine, but upon restart I cannot login to the NUC with Teamviewer and upon investigation the app is missing from the firewall approved apps.

This is with Windows 1809.

I have a second NUC running Windows 1803 and it does not have this problem.

Any thoughts?

joelshort, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

"Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a...

1. "Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall" requires public access on a... - Similar Threads - Allow apps communicate

2. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  3. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.: I can't allow applications through firewall in the Window Defender Firewall even though I logged in as an Administrator. I have tried changing the group policies and resetting to default firewall settings. I do not have third party anti-virus software or firewall software....
  4. Can't allow applications through firewall in Windows Defender Firewall.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Allow apps to communicate through windows defender firewall: Hi,Can someone clarify something for me as simply as possible ?Can I disable WLAN Service- WFD application services Platform Coordination Protocol and WLAN Service- WFD Services Keenel Mode Driver Rules from “list of allowed apps to communicate through Windows defender...
  6. Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall Greyed out under administrator...

Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall Greyed out under administrator...: [ATTACH] Hello how can I disable the remote desktop ports that are open and greyed out? I turned off Remote desktop, I also have it disabled under Group Policy settings however today this is now greyed out and locked as turned on after Windows updates are pushed down. This...
  7. Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls?

Why do apps need access to communicate through firewalls?: I recently downloaded Unity and it wants me to allow access through the firewall. I trust it and I allowed it through private networks but I don't understand why I need to do this. What does Unity need to have from my computer that my firewall blocks? And not just unity but...
  8. Windows Defender Firewall: Unknown app entries in the "Allow apps to communicate..." section

Windows Defender Firewall: Unknown app entries in the "Allow apps to communicate..." section: As the subject suggests, there's a list of unknown app source entries in the list. I wish to find out if these entries are legit or otherwise, but don't know how, and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure this out. The first 8 entry names in the list start with a...
  9. Permission to communicate through firewall

Permission to communicate through firewall: How do you determine which App is legitimate communicating through the firewall (privately vs publicly). I notice some which concerns me greatly... a string of capital letters and numbers...
  10. Allow Ports access through Windows Firewall.

Allow Ports access through Windows Firewall.: Hello, I have several ports that need to be open for the uses of software, but the thing is, i dont know how to do through windows firewall and that ports number are TCP OR UDP? Kindly someone can help me with this? Port number is 442 443 48009 48100 48101 48102...